14436: Rahl, Duke of Pain

Adrift

NOTE: Updated photos on post #23 with 2 elements I reworked. :upside:

Some of you may have seen my WIP thread over in that part of the forum; here is the completed miniature. My vision for Rahl was that in life he was a general of an army so vile that his passing resulted in eternal servitude in hell as an Archdevil. A mockery of his former self, his raw pig-like flesh a testament to his perverse overindulgence in the torture of any passing victim.

Needless to say, this has been a very challenging and demanding miniature; lots of flesh, cloth, and metal. To make matters worse on myself I added the forked tongue using some green stuff; the tongue took me 2 hours just to fashion and get into place between his two dominant top fangs.

C&C always welcome.

post-7416-0-13988800-1350159951.jpg

post-7416-0-28330000-1350159953.jpg

post-7416-0-17012400-1350159955.jpg

post-7416-0-20003300-1350159957.jpg

post-7416-0-45999300-1350159959.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn man, great scene...that right hand blade steals the show for me though.

It's very unique, in fact I can't say that I've ever seen another miniature with a weapon of it's like. The blade, combined with the special hilt/decoration made me feel that paying extra close attention to this particular detail was important. I'm glad it does the trick.

I love the flesh, the blue elements & details like the necklace & his scales.

The aqua cloak I'm not sure if the way it looks to me is my eyes, the photo or the mini. As no one else has commented on it I'm going with my eyes, but just in case; I think you have shown the brush skills to have a better looking cloak you just need to spend some time looking at real cloth to get a better feel for how this would highlight and take the time to make that super smooth transition. The big broad flat colour for a highlight just doesn't stand up to the success of other areas of the model for me.

I agree with OC there. The mini looks great until you get to the cloak. The highlights don't work for me, especially the one above the tail. It just stops and you can see the brush stroke. The brighter color looks to be the main color you are going for. Which means you should keep the darkest recess as small as possible, then midtones your next smallest, then your main color, then highlight from there. Perhaps a good dark blue wash would help smooth it out a bit. Then rework your blending. Jen Haley feathers her highlights. Try using your brush flattened out a bit when painting larger areas and really feathering in highlights.