Ink Question

Last Knight

So, I'm in the middle of trying to paint up some Anhurians, using the instructions from L2PK1. I go to do the ink wash on the armor... and my black ink is gone. Totally missing, can't find the bottle anywhere. Do I need specialty acrylic inks for this, or can I grab a bottle of India ink from my fountainpen stuff?

Somebody edumacate me on inks, please.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any hobby paints, just professional acrylics, but can I ask you as an artist and teacher to please put that India ink down, gently, well away from your poor minis?

India ink is a waterproof ink made with shellac, a surface not friendly to paints. Used full strength it will completely blacken your paintjobs. Thinned down it is likely to get undesirable purplish or brownish overtones, and you'll still have the shellac problem.

Oh, also used full strength it cracks when dries. And it dries shiny.

As far as I know (and this is mostly deduction until I get my hands on some Reaper hobby paints and can do some analysis in the ol' laboratory), in the minis world "ink" refs to a thinned down, semi-transparent acrylic paint.

There are professional acrylics formulated for airbrushing which I suspect have a similar texture.

In your case, I would suggest a little black paint thinned down with acrylic matte medium, if you've got it.

• Like 2

I would go hit up your FLGS for some propper ink OR use some waterdown black with a drop of gloss varnish added. don't get too liberal with that mixture and you should be okay.

But for the love of gawd do NOT use India ink!! i tried that once and still have nightmares about the results.

I thought you had some Army Painter Quickshade ink?

No Michael's in your area? That's where I get my matte and flow improver, although Reaper paints don't really need the latter.

I thought you were going to start LTPK2? Better than sitting by the doo. (:

Also, your LTPK3 has Pure Black. Just add some water and wash!

Echoing ced1106: You can get matte medium and flow improver, as well as colored inks (sold for calligraphy, I believe) at many craft stores and art stores. I've never tried out artists' inks, but I know some people use them.

While I do have some hobby inks, I haven't used them recently. Some are very old Citadel in 10ml droppers in pretty good bottles; I think only one has dried up. I also have some Reaper MSP inks. But generally I make up my own glazes/washes as needed, and matte medium and flow improver are handy for that. I should try the inks out sometime just to see if they are useful to me.

I thought you had some Army Painter Quickshade ink?

Nope, I've got the quickstain. The dip.

No Michael's in your area? That's where I get my matte and flow improver, although Reaper paints don't really need the latter.

I do, but I've had a devil of a time finding what I need from them. :-)

I thought you were going to start LTPK2? Better than sitting by the doo. (:

I wanted to apply the lessons from #1 first; do these "city guards" who are definitely Anhurians and maybe my Bones werewolf. :-)

Also, your LTPK3 has Pure Black. Just add some water and wash!

And this is exactly what I did.:-) worked out well!

Also, just got into a long discussion with my wife about art stuff... she reached into her My Little Pony drawer (of all stuff pony modding)and pulled out flow improver, drying retardant, and a carpload of other things. XD don't think her paints will be of much use ( although at least they're Liquitex, not Apple Barrel), but still...

Liquitex is a reasonable quality artists paint, well above the stuff one gets at Hobby Lobby -- that is, if it's "heavy body acrylics" and not the "student grade" stuff.

My first paint set was Liquitex, and I'm still fond of them even as I've moved on to better brands like Holbein and Golden.

Don't knock the ability of a few good artists acrylics to really expand your painting possibilities.

My Little Pony, huh? My first mod was a My Little Pony, about 25 years ago. I took a winged pony, gave it a unicorn horn, and painted it black and red as a gift for an rpg buddy. Wish I'd taken pictures.

If you've got a bunch of the dudes to paint, go ahead and try a simple wash of black thinned with water. We got by for years painting that way, it's not the very best way to do it, but it's decent - especially for chainmail. And if you just do one, you'll have a feel for how that mixture reacts on a mini.

edit - I see you went for that, nm! :)

Good to hear you have a wife in the hobby! :D

Michael's has 40% one item coupons, so it's easy for us guys for us to focus on only one thing at a time. :)

If you haven't fully painted them already, your Anhurians can still get some help with LTPK2, if they're like the ones I found in this pic. Stuff like male skin, blacklining, cloth, eyes, and highlighting are covered in LTPK2 and can be applies to armored miniatures:

http://www.mcghiever.com/miniatures/units.htm

Not related, but read the Temple of Elemental Evil link on the same page as that picture! :)

• Like 1