Browns and Colour Theory

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Largely true.

But brown is a tertiary color that can be mixed a variety of ways. Olive drab is a green brown and should be treated as such on a color wheel. And you can get yellow, red, or purple browns as well (we mostly call blue-brown "gray"). If PAE were around, I'm sure he'd be happy to expound at length on browns — leather brown, earth brown, mahogany brown, grass brown, sky brown, snow brown ....

^_^

OD is clearly not yellow.

OD is very clearly yellow. There are other "military greens" that are bluer, but OD is not green.

Of course this argument would need to establish what exactly we are calling OD. And what we mean by yellow and green. It will turn philosophical.

OLIVE DRAB, right??

Thats RGB #666600 What is RGB #FFFF00 Why its pure bright Yellow!

Do not disrespect my color authority. I've got mutant eyes that pick up two different color palletes.

• Like 1

OD is clearly not yellow.

Do not disrespect my color authority. I've got mutant eyes that pick up two different color palletes.

If we're going to play that game, my last color acuity test was about three months ago. Per that test, my color acuity is "superior", a result of my not making any mistakes in any of the four sets of color chips. When was your last test? :rolleyes:

That said, "olive drab" (like "khaki") is a tertiary color (which is to say, mixed from all three primary colors) and the name describes a variety of colors, sometimes more yellow and sometimes more blue, but nearly everyone would describe the middle of that range as some variant of green. Anyone who doubts this can try a Google image search on "olive drab" and decide for himself.

But hey, call it "red" if it pleases you.