Truth is for tabletop the pens are great for getting detail done, however if you wish to progress beyond that standard you'll need to put the pens down and use a brush.

• Like 1

In some ways I agree, though i think there is room for both, even in the higher tiers of painting. Brush control is great, and very important, but there are certain tasks, Such as eyes, where a fast and easy shortcut is in many ways not only desirable, but an improvment.

• Like 1

I'll give you the guidance of Jen Haley on painting eyes;

"Pupils were dotted in with Pure Black to help them stand out. This just takes practice--for most painters, lots of practice--and good brush control. I also put on my headband magnifier (Optivisor) for this step. In my early painting, I liked to use Pigma Micron technical pens to dot in pupils. As I learned to paint better, though, I found that a brush offers far more control and precision. It's easier, too, to repaint or touch up mistakes on paint than on the opaque waterproof ink of the pens."

Source: http://www.paintrix-miniatures.com/articles.php?&art=7&page=3

That's pretty much all I need to stick with brushes. Note though for tabletop the pens remain great for a whole lot of applications.

Started on kit 2 today, preparing my bases at least any way.

l2pk2.jpg

I bought some milliput and green stuff and I've been making little bamboo poles to put around Tsuko's base. When the green stuff is dry I'll sand them back a little and make them look a bit more uniform and polished. My plan is to paint the bamboo separately and put them on the finished base last in some pre-made holes to glue them into.

As for Laurana I've just put some milliput on her base and added some texture by pressing a rock into the surface.

Will start priming tomorrow when everything has hardened up nicely.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 3

I've just put some milliput on her face

... base? On her base? :)

Hooray typos! Base! I meant base! :blush:

• Like 1

Indeed! I'm really trying to push myself and get used to using things like milliput and green stuff and re-basing before my Bones arrive. My thinking right now is to experiment with the Learn to Paint kits as much as possible and not to worry too much if I mess them up.

After the milliput on Laurana's base had dried to I glued some small pieces of kitty litter (hooray for having cats!) around her feet so she looks as if she's standing on a pile of rocks. Here she is all primed:

laurana1.jpg

And with her skin base coat:

laurana2.jpg

I haven't started highlighting her flesh at all at this point, just painting in her eyes and adding some pink and shadows to her cheeks and lips.

• Like 2

I know all the stuff thats been said about painting eyes over the last few pages of this topic, but that still does not stop me from being crazy jealous of your eye painting skill.

Update to my last post, and to my last WIP post. I decided screw Laurana, I'm just going to base coat everything, be a bit messy if need be, than just completely re-do all of her skin from scratch. So far thats not going too poorly, and I'm pretty happy. Also her hair looks quite nice.

To the main point, I DID IT! I did eyes! The right eye isnt perfect, but I think the left is spot on!

I think I'm also starting to get some basic brush control down, getting the paint to go to the places I want it to, stating to figure out what sort of consistencies are good for paint thickness and such.

I dont have pictures at the moment, but I'll throw one up once the base coats are all done (including the re-skin)

• Like 8

Congrats on your eyes jaryth! Can't wait to see photos.

Worked a little more on Tsuko's base, built up some milliput around his feet and have stuck the bamboo poles in temporarily so I can take them out and there's a defined, keyed position to glue them into later. (No way I'm going to try to paint Tsuko or those poles with them in there already!)

tsuko.jpg

Going to add a little more texture to the milliput and clean it up a little as it dries.

• Like 3

My finished LTPK2.

Again, in real life, I like'em shiny, but I had a hard time to take an acceptable picture.

Hey, nothing wrong with shiny!

So I had a friend staying over the other night, and hes using the air mattress in the livingroom. This being where I normally paint, I decided (Both to see if I could do it, and to give me motivation to paint) to try and see how small of an area I could set up for painting. This is what I ended up with:

slimline.jpg

My slimline painting desk. Based with paper towel over a small wood TV tray/table, with tiles for spillage, paints, brushes and my lamp. Not all that bad if you ask me! And now i know I can paint in my room.

An update to Tsuko, after posting the previous WIP images, and the kind words people said, I've come around about his skin colours and now I like it a lot more, so I decided to move on for the moment. Base coated his weapon and his pants (but not his belt or hair yet, and no metallic at all yet).

I like this brown, it has amazing coverage and it goes on so smooth! I think its one of my favourite paints so far.

l2pk2_1_5.jpg

I have no idea how I got red on his chest...

Anyway, now onto that OTHER model.... the one thats given me all the troubles...

So I finished all the non-metallic base coats (except the scroll/ground I guess), and completely painted over the previous shadow/highlight skin she had. Yep just painted the entire thing over. Since there is not much detail in the skin, I didnt have to worry about clogging it up, so I just went for it. I'll try re-layering it again now that I've gotten a bit more practice, and see how it turns out then. This picture does not do it justice (I'll take more in the finished product) but I like the way the hair turned out. The hair is the only part I've completed the shadow and the highlights (because I cheated and did a wash and drybrush).

Oh, and eyes! I did her eyes! While not the best, I think its passable. Right eye is a little.... off, but meh, who cares?

l2pk2_2_5.jpg

• Like 4