I layer fine with a wet palette. The key is to use a minimal amount of paint, usually a drop or two is enough for an entire project once thinned out. The kits use a lot of paint in their recipes, you can reduce most of them down quite a bit (conspiracy theory: Anne makes the paint, wants you to use more! :p). Also remember this is introductory layering, so just meant to get people used to the concept as an alternative to washes and drybrushing.

Fwiw, I think it looks great.

• Like 1

I've painted 3 of my L2PK figs so far. Being on the shy side, not posted anything yet! But I'll try and get some better pictures of them. The ones I have done are the two from the first kit and the monk from the second. Not liking my layering techniques at all so working hard on the female wizard in the second kit to get better, especially on the skin.

• Like 1

$%# I forgot to take pictures...

Anyway, here is my finished monk:

20130520151039.jpg20130520151054.jpg

I took the advice with the highlight and found I could hardly see it, so I mixed up a new batch and

used a drop more of the white linen to make it lighter, what do you think?

I found that I kept rubbing paint off the toes, I need a larger base holder than a bottle cap it seems.

Also I kept wobbling so I had to redo some of the hair, leggings, etc. But as you all say here, practice makes a better painter :-)

I should now seal it, shouldn't I?

Should I use the Reaper brush-on sealer or the can of Army Painter spray that I got?

Cheers

• Like 3

Yeah, that highlight upgrade worked well. I'd say he's ready for varnish unless you want to practice super-tiny detail and go back in with some linen on the leg and hair straps and edges of the bracers. You should be prepared for a LOT of touching up back and forth if you go for that, but it's good practice. I'm a sloppy painter, so something like Cave Girl in my WIP thread...that club I painted the straps blackened brown, then painted in the hide base color, then went back over the straps to clean them up, then painted the base coat of the straps in oiled leather, then went back and cleaned up the hide base color again. That's just for the base coat! And it's still a bit sloppy, the blackened brown left as lining should be much cleaner. But I get better each time!

I like Army Painter matte varnish spray, personally. Read and follow the instructions :)

Time to start up my Terrible Phone Pictures in this thread. I decided to live dangerously and do both minis at the same time - the way the instructions read. I haven't decided yet if that's a good idea or not, but at least I don't have to impatiently wait for things to dry.

Step 0: Bases and primer. Same as the last kit. Simple plastic tiles with some sand glued on to preserve our glass display shelves. Very exciting.

Step 1: Brownslobbering. Since this kit sort of covers lining, I thought I'd try out the Buglips Brand Brownslobber method before I basecoated anything. Not only did I use the Brown Liner instead of the Blackened Brown that the instructions mention, I'm pretty sure I over-slobbered. Well, its a learning process, right?

Step 2: Eyes. Bette Davis Eyes wins again. Also, holy crap the eyes are small on these minis. Laurana's look pretty nice. Poor Tsuko looks like he's giving me the Vulcan eyebrow.

Step 3: Flesh basecoat on Tsuko. My comedy of errors for the evening continued, as I thinned the basecoat a bit much and it failed to cover the lining I did. I ended up having to mix up some more for another coat, and didn't get it exactly matched. I had hoped it would dry mostly even, but he still looked a little two-toned this morning. Perhaps the highlighting will correct it later. I also messed up one of his eyes a little and slobbered over my slobbering in a few places, even though I got to use one of Slashhamster's fancy brushes. I may attempt to correct the lining before I continue with the flesh bits.

The fruits of my labor for the evening:

l2pk2_laurana_lined.jpg

l2pk2_monk_flesh_base.jpg

l2pk2_both.jpg

Edited by Emli
  • Like 5

got back to working on Laurana. I applied a couple layers of highlights using the ratio of rose skin and linen white perscribed...I'm not sure its very apperent tho..maybe I thinned em down to much..I can see the difference on the face but the body looks very close to the mid tones..not sure if I should add more linen white and redo.

after that I did the eyes and Lined all the flesh.. I've never done lining before other then using a dark wash to line creveses so this is new.. We'll see how it all works out.
Over all I'm happy with the eyes..the left one not as much but its more hidden so considering how small they are I'll take it.

Next up Her Hair :)

laurana+skin+highlights.jpg

• Like 8

Ye gods, BD. You nailed those eyes so well! The lining on the top and sides lends a great deal of verisimilitude.

• Like 2

I got lucky with the eyes..when I was adding the linen white on top of the intense brown i was a little off center and the linen white covered the brown on the bottom..turns out its a really great look for a female eye ....makes the brown lining above the white look like eyelashes..

I'm gonna have to try and remember that and try it again ...but I can't claim it was intentional :)

and well ya I admit I had to Google verisimilitude :blush:

• Like 1

I went thru the process of base coating the hair..then shading the undersides and deep creases with a brown wash ..then mixed the highlight color and applied a couple layers of highlights.
I think its ok..maybe needs one more tight lighter highlight?

Overall She's coming together pretty good..
Im starting to get a feel for how thin the paint should be and how to not overload the brush to much so it won't pool when when you brush it on.

looks like next up is painting the cloth.

laurana+hair.jpg

• Like 4

I spent the evening fixing lining and catching up on flesh basecoat. Why, no, I'm not intentionally letting bloodydrake get ahead of me, why do you ask?

Step 2 fixed?: I corrected Tsuko's lining. For some value of corrected. Then I touched up the touchups and he doesn't look half-bad at this point. Still bug-eyed though. I might fiddle with his eyes some more.

I also touched up Laurana's lining a little bit, since I had the Blackened Brown out. Which leads me to my next step -

Step 3 continued: Flesh! Tsuko is good at this point. I re-coated a few places where the slobbering was showing through, as well as touching up some places where my lining got a bit crazy. I went ahead and did Laurana's flesh basecoat, but ended up letting it get a little sloppy. I'll have to go back and fix her eyes and lining before I get into the mid-tone.

I didn't use the fancy brush last night, just the detail brush that came with L2PK2. It works ok, as long as I keep the point sound. A few times on Laurana, the point got a bit separated, and that led to paint where I didn't want it. Today's lesson: lining needs more attention than I thought it did.

The fruits of my labor for the session:

l2pk2_monk_flesh_base_fixed.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_flesh_base.jpg

l2pk2_both3.jpg

Edited by Emli
  • Like 1

I went thru the process of base coating the hair..then shading the undersides and deep creases with a brown wash ..then mixed the highlight color and applied a couple layers of highlights.

I think its ok..maybe needs one more tight lighter highlight?

Overall She's coming together pretty good..

Im starting to get a feel for how thin the paint should be and how to not overload the brush to much so it won't pool when when you brush it on.

looks like next up is painting the cloth.

Looks good. I vote for another highlight on the hair.

• Like 1

I agree Krule

I applied another highlight layer to the hair around back and top..its subtle(this kinda layering is) but I think its better.. as well I got the basecoat of the shirt and skirt done.

I'll work on shading and highlighting the cloths tomorrow.

laurana+cloths.jpg

• Like 5

Its Breonne Blue (09055)...it requires about 3 or 4 thin coats for good coverage...the leaf green I needed about 3.

I notice some paints just seem to require quite a few more coats then others.