mixed up the green/blue wash to shade the shirt..I think I had abit to much blue in it.. for the highlight I found I needed to reapply the plain green first then mixed the yellow/green to highlight the shirt.. Much much more challenging to not overdo it..it goes from not enough to much very quickly.

For the skirt I mixed a couple shades ..nice straight lines down a crease is tough not being wavy ..I can see from the photo I gotta touch up the hind area, I hadn't noticed it wasn't blended well. I might not have thinned down the hghlight colors enough this time..being darker colors it seems abit less forgiving.

I think thats enough highlights for the cloth..tho I could apply another layer if thats the consensus.

The cloth was definately the most challenging simply due to the subtleness of the muscle definition.

laurana+cloth+highlights.jpg

• Like 10

I like the nice bluish shadows. Works great. As far as the highlights, white is a very strong pigment and wants a bit more medium (water or whatever you use) to thin down. Also why it tends to break down when thinning and is generally a pain to use.

You achieved a nice serene expression, good contrast to my Angry Laurana.

• Like 1

its quite amazing how just that little difference in shading the eyes and mouth can really change the impression of emotion on these little figures eh.

I love the Angry Laurana btw..She looks like she's ready to blast someone into tomorrow

My laurana has more of a "Kiss the Ring" kinda look to her

BD this is really looking good, and its telling for me how much you have improved as a painter since you started the Circle thread looking at the quality of the work you are achieving here.

• Like 2

got back to working on Laurana. I decided to finish the basing material and dry brushing before painting the boots this time.
I tihink it blends into the broccoli base pretty well..with a little static grass it should be pretty seamless.

Then I worked on the leather straps/pouches and boots.. it seems like the instructions at this point kinda ran out of room or .. its just very brief in its direction at this stage of the final touches..I think thats to bad I've been enjoying the direction so far in these kits.

So I did some highlighting of the leather and boots..and now from the zoomed in photo I can see the back parts are pretty rough heh.
I'm really not sure what to do with the gold trim ..perhaps highlight with some brighter gold paint from other kits?( I have new gold from something

Besides that just need to work on the scroll and the rock and she's almost done.

laurana+leather+highlights.jpg

• Like 8

I used some of the blackened brown thinned to almost a wash to clean up the transitions on the back of the book case and canteen.

I then used a little new gold to highlight the gold along the top ridges of the bracelets and belt buckle and book case..not really sure what else to do that isn't outside the scope of this kit.

I finished up the scroll following the directions..its abit rough in the transitions but I think its ok. I ended up using black ink to shade the rock and do the text..which is very shallow and tiny..sheesh.

I think I'm done painting her and she's ready for a glosscote/dullcote and flocking. While she's drying over the next 24hrs its time to start on Tsuko.

laurana+scroll.jpg

• Like 9

Got some time to work on these guys again. Here we go!

Step 3-ish: Finished fixing lining and eyes on both. Tsuko is a little less bug-eyed. Laurana's eyes were tough, but I like how they ended up. One of the pupils was really off-center, so I gave her a bit of a sideways gaze.

Step 4: First layers.

- Tsuko got his shadows. I'm not entirely happy with them, because I think they came out a bit stark. The paint also wasn't thinned enough initially, so I tried to blend it a little bit after I had the consistency I wanted. I feel like I ended up with too much shadow after that.

- Laurana got her mid-tone. After having not thinned the paint enough on Tsuko, I think I erred too far in the other direction. She's got a little coffee stain effect on her shoulder where I started, and, especially compared to Tsuko, the definition between the layers seems too subtle. 

Fruits for the session:

l2pk2_monk_shadow1.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_mid2.jpg

l2pk2_both4.jpg

Edited by Emli
  • Like 7

So, I skipped L2PK1 (I'm only a few months into the hobby, but I've done 30-40 minis now with washing/drybrushing [and 30-40 before that with just unthinned craft paint (THE HORROR)]), and dived right in to L2PK2 with Tsuko... and completely forgot to take pics in between priming and basically finished.

This isn't my first mini - but this is my first metal mini, and my first real attempt at using layering to highlight and shade.

Pics are done with a light box I whipped up with help from the linked tutorial in the Shutterbug section, not sure if I did it right or not, but the pictures didn't turn out too bad or that far off from how he really looks.

Here he is primed:

L2PK_2_Tsuko_Primer1.JPGL2PK_2_Tsuko_Primer2.JPG

I basically followed the instructions... except for the lining, and the belt and leg/hair ties. There's pics in the instructions with lining done, but no where does it explain when/how to do - I followed Buglips's lead (from his BONES WIP thread) and lined/slathered first off, no idea if I did it right, or if it worked they way it should have. The belt and leg/hair ties I did per the instructions, but they looked REALLY flat with just the base coat, so I skipped to the next section about shading, and they weren't mentioned at all - I decided to do a wash... and then noticed when I got to the highlighting section that there was more to do with them. Not really happy with they turned out, I think more because of the colour of the wash than anything else.

Here he is in almost finished stage:

L2PK_2_Tsuko_Front1.JPGL2PK_2_Tsuko_Left1.JPG

L2PK_2_Tsuko_Back1.JPGL2PK_2_Tsuko_Right1.JPG

So overall, I'm pretty happy with him, with the exception of the wash on the belt and leg/hair ties that just didn't go over well IMO.

I definitely learned a lot, layering takes a lot longer than the wash/dry brush I've been doing, but I think the better results are worth it. As a table top mini (which is all I'm going for right now) he's easily my best work so far. Even though now that I've got blown up pics in front of me, he looks horrible, and I'm seeing lots of spots that I could have done better.

I just noticed the white spots on the toe of his right sandal - it's actually bare metal poking through - not sure if that's from a shoddy job with the primer, or if i rubbed it off while painting, it's blu-tacked to a craft paint bottle, but for some reason I always hold it REALLY close to the base. Can I just re-primer this little section and re-paint? or does it need to be stripped first? (in which case, it's good enough as is, and won't be getting fixed).

Now, he's almost finished - all that's left is the base. Which is why he's in WIP, and not Show Off. The other minis I've painted I haven't done anything for basing yet, my first minis were some Descent board game pieces which had big plastic bases - and the few BONES I've done so far I've just glued to some 25mm round bases I ordered for cheap on ebay so they'd closer match the D&D pre-painted I've been using for game. I was planning on doing the same here, but I saw another thread earlier today with a link to a way to make tiled floor texture with greenstuff, and I think I'd like to give that a shot - I just don't know if it's too late to cut his broccoli base off.

Everyone usually says C&C welcome at the end - which I always read as "Command & Conquer" - Anyways, comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

EDIT: WOW those are some big pics - let me know if it's a problem and I'll shrink them some more. What are the standard image sizes that you guys use?

Edited by Malynor
  • Like 10

The size is good, it allows everyone a good look so people can give you better feedback. As for the toes, if you coat it with lacquer afterwards, you should be able to just touch up the paint. I wouldn't even add more primer for a tiny touch up, just dab on the sandal colour, then cover it in a couple thick coats of lacquer. I would never strip a mini for tabletop use, just touch them up, they always end up with a few small spots worn off over time.

The mini looks great, the straps are well done, I am not looking forward to painting the ones in his hair. His belt looks good, a nice sense of depth with the colour contrast.

There should be no problem with repriming and repainting the bare spots. I'd consider wiping the spots first to remove any finger oils, but otherwise there's really no reason to strip.

He looks really, really good. Great first step into layering, he might be my favorite Tsuko thus far, the effort you put in really shows.

I tend to use larger pics, as rough as it is to see the things blown up and every defect literally magnified. If you can wear a thick skin it's very educational and you'll learn your habits very quickly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys. If cleaning up his sandal is as easy as it sounds I think I will cut off the base and try to make a flagstone tile base. I've been itching to play with this greenstuff anyways.

• Like 1

Alright I did some things a little different. I made her a brunette in the hopes that minis resembling my wife would entice her to play D&D it does not seem to have worked though.

I did a drybrush try on the scroll and frankly I like the way it turned out. It brought out the script but also gave the scroll an aged look that I dig quite a bit. I am disappointed a bit in the skin, the basing and the eyes but overall I do like this mini and think it turned out alright.

IMG_0708474x636_zps044a748a.jpg

IMG_0709480x640_zps5d04b9f0.jpg

• Like 11

I order this L2PK today and am really looking forward to using it. I have trouble choosing the right shades and then blending them—they either seep onto areas I don't want or look too obvious. The highlight layer is most difficult for me to place.

• Like 3