The latest shenanigans...

Step 5: Highlights.

- I started with Tsuko, because I thought he'd be easier. And I was sort of following the order of the directions. His front came out ok, his back looks kind of weird. I am pretty sure that I painted over too much of his mid-tone, but that will come with practice. I'm not sure what's up with his back though. The lines of the highlight look too sharp. They are probably also in the wrong place. His forehead looks really great though! Woo?

- Trying to learn from my mistakes on Tsuko, I moved on to Laurana. I think I still painted over too much of her mid-tone, but the color transitions are blended better. Except on her face, where it looks like she's wearing too much concealer on her cheekbones. Or she's a zombie. Overall, I still feel like she's too pale, but that may be because of all the brownslobber contrasting with her pale skin. Hopefully it will even out when I get to her clothes.

Step 6: Hair.

- Back to Tsuko. His hair came out pretty good. This is where the Buglips Method came in handy. Having that pre-lining helped me see the laces better, and so I could paint around them. I started trying to do the Ruddy Leather highlights, but my detail brush appeared to be crapping out on me. I fell back to a bit of drybrushing.

- Laurana's hair gave me fits. First, the Sun Yellow I have seems super thin. I didn't even put any water in it after I mixed in the Oiled Leather and it felt like wash consistency. So after something like 3 coats, I finally gave up trying to fully cover the brownslobbering. At least it was mostly in places where shadows would naturally fall, except the part where I was successful in unevenly covering the lining around her face. I painted on the Oiled Leather shadows, which the detail brush magically tolerated, then moved on to the highlighting. Super thin Sun Yellow struck again, as it didn't seem to mix well with the Linen White and turned almost neon. So I picked out some highlights (my detail brush went back to crap at this point), then washed with the hair base color, to dull some of the neon. I re-shadowed then drybrushed back in some of the highlight. After some discussion, I tend to agree that it needs a bit more highlight. I'll fix it up next time.

Ta-dah!

l2pk2_monk_highlight_front.jpg

l2pk2_monk_highlight_back.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_highlight_front.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_highligh_back.jpg

l2pk2_both6.jpg

Edited by Emli
  • Like 6

For Tsuko's back, the reason it looks off, you have highlight on the lower back and shadow on the upper back. There should be almost none of the shadow color on the top portion, just enough to define things. And the reverse for the highlights in the lower section, just enough to provide definition.

Otherwise, things are looking good. That yellow probably needs some extra shaking and agitation and you should be ok.

Step 5, again: Highlights.

- I took Cash's advice, and tried to fix Tsuko's back. This led to almost entirely redoing the rest of his highlights, and touching up some of his shadows. The places where the shadow got out of hand previously are still out of hand, but the blending on the rest is better. His back looks less weird.

- Since I was tinkering with Tsuko, I also tinkered with Laurana's highlights. The gradations are easier to see now, and she looks like less of a zombie.

- I also touched up various linings.

Step 6, again: Hair.

- Tsuko got a little bit more highlight. He didn't need much.

- I was able to get the yellow mixed better, so I completely re-did Laurana's hair. It's much better this time around.

Step 7, finally: Cloth basecoats. It was getting late, and I wanted to have some forward progress to show for the session, so I slapped on some color.

- As I did Tsuko's pants, and realized that I was going to have to do another coat to cover the brownslobber. So, I didn't do his laces yet.

- With her new highlight job, and the color on her clothes (the blue and green covered better than the red, but I'm still going to have to give her another coat as well), she looks much less pale. Yay.

l2pk2_monk_cloth_base_front.jpg

l2pk2_monk_cloth_base_back.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_cloth_base_front.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_cloth_base_back.jpg

l2pk2_both7.jpg

Edited by Emli
  • Like 10

Tsuko looks great. Laurana seems to be shooting a "I can't believe you just said/did that" look to someone. A look I am all too familiar with I must say.

Thanks guys! I really like the way her expression turned out. I can't tell if it should be 'You did what?' or checking her peripheral vision for more enemies.

Onward.

Step 7, con't: Second coat of base for the cloth.

- I had to do another coat of Blood Red for Tsuko's pants to cover all the brown. I also did his belt and ties. The gray color went covered relatively well, although I had some issues staying in the lines, especially on his hair. Touched up with more Blood Red, but the lining suffered.

- Another coat for Laurana's top and skirt. This time, it was the Breonne Blue that was extra thin. Time to put the paint bottles on the washing machine.

Step 8: Shadows and highlights on the cloth.

- The shadows for Tsuko's pants went on a little dark. I still need to learn that dark things will dry darker than they appear, so I shouldn't necessarily throw on another coat because I can't see it while it's wet. On the other end of things, the highlights for his pants are hard to see. They seemed to go on the right color, but dried closer to the pants color. For the grey bits, I did some highlighting with Linen White, as instructed. I think those bits either need some shadow, or my base was too light colored. 

- Laurana's skirt was straightforward. It really needs that second level of highlights though, so I will go back and do that next time. Her top ... I'm not entirely happy with it. The blue-green wash went on fine. The highlights were sort of glaring, so I tried to blend them with some thinned Leaf Green and more wash until I got them more or less where I thought they should be. 

Next time, details and basing. Wee!

l2pk2_monk_cloth_highlight_front.jpg

l2pk2_monk_cloth_highlight_back.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_cloth_highlight_front.jpg

l2pk2_laurana_cloth_highlight_back.jpg

l2pk2_both8.jpg

Edited by Emli
  • Like 6

Posting pics from my Laurana paint job. Only paint deviations I took from the instructions was using Rosy Shadow and Rosy Highlight rather than the color mixes suggested in the kit. I also made both of her wristbands the same color rather than one green and one blue. I don't have a great setup for taking pictures, so the lighting differs in the first few—sorry. :P

post-12254-0-42454700-1370545070.jpg

post-12254-0-92698800-1370545094.jpg

Yes, I know I missed a couple tiny patches in the skin base coat. I fixed 'em before moving on.

post-12254-0-02359100-1370545099.jpg

Finally found a way to mount her figure onto a bottle cap. Not an ideal fastener because it squishes a bit, but it worked well enough.

post-12254-0-57989700-1370545099.jpg

post-12254-0-03872000-1370545153.jpg

post-12254-0-34053900-1370545130.jpg

post-12254-0-15788000-1370545131.jpg

post-12254-0-14018400-1370545132.jpg

Once I had painted the boots and accessories, I appreciated how much depth outlining the skin created. Home stretch!

post-12254-0-45242200-1370545133.jpg

And done! Her skin shading is far from perfect, but I'm going to pat myself on the back anyway for a good first try.

• Like 9

attachicon.gif08.jpg

And done! Her skin shading is far from perfect, but I'm going to pat myself on the back anyway for a good first try.

For an early mini, she's very well done. I checked out your Jabberwock in Show Off, and this is a big improvement. Your camera and lighting look pretty good to me, as I can see just about everything clearly. Your lining is very nice, too.

Laurana's eye (I can only see one clearly) is very intense, or perhaps there is a hint of madness, the look you get with white all around the iris. Eyes take a lot of practice, and they take me multiple tries per figure before I get a set I like. Unless the eyes are pretty big, I often skip the outlining, which can give the eyes a raccoon-like look.

Laurana's eye (I can only see one clearly) is very intense, or perhaps there is a hint of madness, the look you get with white all around the iris. Eyes take a lot of practice, and they take me multiple tries per figure before I get a set I like. Unless the eyes are pretty big, I often skip the outlining, which can give the eyes a raccoon-like look.

I did fix up her left eye by the time the last two sets of pictures were taken, so it's not quite so bulgy. (You just can't see it. :P) I was mostly okay with the lining around the eyes but maybe not Blackened Brown next time—too intense. Or I may just skip lining the eyes next time, honestly. Doing the face is still the hardest part for me, but I'll keep practicing. :D

blackened brown can be a bit much around eyes.. I've taken to using tanned shadow on more fair skinned figures, and think the next time I do someone darker skinned, I will aim for ruddy leather

After a longish hiatus, I finally slapped some eyes on Tsuko and smoothed out the shading a little bit. I haven't quite figured out to blend smoothly as some in this thread, but I think I'm ready to declare him done.

post-8559-0-26076100-1370575994.jpgpost-8559-0-14388200-1370575996.jpg

Oops, I see some metal. Maybe I should go over that base another time.

• Like 9