I think he's in LPK#5 - I'm saving 5 and 3 (armour and NMM) until I get decent at layering/blending, or at least not horrible.

Oops. Actually there was so much going on with Dain, the layering wasn't a huge factor, really. But for Bertokk, yeah, you'll want to try a couple more because that's a whole lotta abs to layer.

I thought he was fun and pretty easy (the metals were difficult for me, but teh skin was fun). But it's a LOT of little blends if you're just learning from kit 2. Again, great sculpt choice by Anne for practicing, though!

Not sure if I like starting with mid-tone instead of shadow, but I tried it with Tsuko. Anyway, here are pics of my attempt. I have little spots to fix that taking pictures revealed, but I liked my overall result. With more minis and more practice, maybe I'll finally get the eyes right!

post-12254-0-04543400-1371279699.jpg

post-12254-0-01802900-1371279700.jpg

post-12254-0-87137100-1371279700.jpg

post-12254-0-04590200-1371279702.jpg

post-12254-0-01747400-1371279703.jpg

post-12254-0-98917600-1371279703.jpg

Just suddenly realized... where are his nipples?!

• Like 11

Great work Joe! I really like his frown.

Marceline, (welcome to the forums, love your avatar) very nice shading on his skin, and I agree, his eyes do look very cool!

Really impressive work in this thread.

So here's my take on Laurana:

Skin basecoat:

9025319443_8309dd3c68_z.jpg9027546292_69dde04376_z.jpg

Forgot to take some pics, but here she is skin finished, lined and eyes:

9027545690_57e93d96de_z.jpg9027545012_586f1611dc_z.jpg

Fuzzy close up of eyes:

9025316603_03c2237cb2_z.jpg

Hair finished and clothes basecoated:

9060512748_ed1fc91f9f_z.jpg9060511312_fbd89bcfa4_z.jpg

All finished:

9060507926_a53eac2840_z.jpg9058281963_b20ca61909_z.jpg9060505950_a417f94997_z.jpg

I had to retouch a lot as I kept getting paint on the skin.

I like the eyes,

I don't like how chalky the skin colour became.

I followed the recipes but I don't know how the scroll highlight looks so different then in the instructions....

Comments as usual are welcome.

• Like 10

I had to retouch a lot as I kept getting paint on the skin.

I like the eyes,

I don't like how chalky the skin colour became.

I followed the recipes but I don't know how the scroll highlight looks so different then in the instructions....

Comments as usual are welcome.

I like the eyes, too.

Retouching is almost impossible to avoid for me. Often I find it is the side of my brush that comes in contact with something it shouldn't. So, when I'm doing work where that could happen, I should put paint only on the tip of the brush and/or use a shorter-haired brush. When I remember to do that, I make fewer mistakes.

On the scroll, it looks like the colors are too far apart to blend well. If you mixed one or more intermediary colors, you could improve the blend. That's a general rule, like keeping the paint thin when you are layering to blend, so it takes more than one layer before you start seeing an obvious color shift.

• Like 1

I put some time aside this morning to get back to my L2PKs and did the base coat for Tsuko's skin as well as his eyes:

tsuko2.jpg

• Like 5

Alright I am jumping in. First off, do you guys suggest completing one entire figure and then going back through and doing the other or doing both simultaneously and following the steps as listed in the instructions?

Here are my minis before primer, but after the quick file job that I am doing on them:

post-8303-0-55197000-1372484202_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-63772700-1372484205_thumb.jpg

Doing them separately lets you take what you've learned on one and use it on the next. At least that was my thinking when I did Tsuko first... Although he turned out better than Laurana... So I might just be spouting crazy talk.

I did mine together, with Tsuko getting his portion of the step first and Laurana second. There was a definite difference in quality that was interesting to note, but I'm not sure how much of that was being warmed up vs actually learning from experience.

The other thing to consider with doing them at the same time is how long your paint sessions are. Mine tend to be around an hour, after bed time, set up and tear down are taken into account. If you want to do them together, make sure you have enough time to finish the step on both so that you get that potential quality bump.

• Like 1