I didn't get as much time in today since I instead chose to spend a ton of time with my family this afternoon and this morning was eaten up by the FLGS's Gamer's Garage Sale.

That being said, I completed PAINTING THE SKIN, FACE, AND HAIR and chose to paint in the order the instructions are typed up:

Step 1: Basecoat

Tsuko - 3:3:1 Oiled Leather/Rosy Skin/Water

Laurana- 4:1:1 Rosy Skin/Ruddy Leather/Water

I felt that this is thicker paint than I have been using so far (I have been watering down my paints to roughly 2:1 paint/water for non-washes and like 1:4 or 1:5 for washes). I am not sure how I feel about that yet, but I am trying to follow the instruction verbatim.

post-8303-0-82881100-1372580708_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-96801300-1372580711_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Step 2: Shading

Tsuko: Shading the Skin with 4:1:1 Ruddy Leather/Oiled Leather/Rosy Skin

Applying the shadows is an interesting way to go about doing things. It feels like some spots could be rather difficult to do this on some minis.

Laurana: Applying the Midtone with Rosy Skin

At first glance this seemed to be a stark contrast, but now that I look at the images I see that it isn't nearly what I thought it was.

post-8303-0-49645100-1372712896_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-34002700-1372712899_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Step 3: Layering Highlights -

Tsuko got 2:2:2 Rosy Skin/Linen White/Water for highlights, Blackened Brown for the eyes (with Linen White), lining and base-coat of hair. Highlights on the hair are Ruddy Leather.

Laurana go 4:2:2 Rosy Skin/Linen White/Water for highlights, Blackened Brown for the eyes (with Linen White) and lining with Sun Yellow for the base-coat of hair with 2:2:2 Sun Yellow/Linen White/Water for highlights*.

*Note that these highlights are not yet shown in the pictures. I am doing them after uploading as I forgot them for some reason.

post-8303-0-04447000-1372746243_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-95618600-1372746245_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Finished the highlights mentioned in my last post. Also, I completed the next step:

PAINTING THE CLOTH - Step 1: Basecoating

Tsuko: 1:6:2 Blackened Brown/Linen White/Water for the sash, lacings and hair ties. Also, Blood Red for the pants and bracers.

Laurana: 2:1 Leaf Green/Water for the bodysuit and one bracer, 2:1 Breonne Blue for the loincloth, the other bracer and the hair tie.

post-8303-0-93891800-1372752952_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-60113700-1372752955_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-21616500-1372752958_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

In my group three of us ordered Bones. Two people had theirs arrive yesterday and brought them over to gloat today. Mine are due to arrive tomorrow. I am pushing myself to get done with LTPK2 before that happens. I will then be applying the skills I picked up in LTPK1 and LTPK2 to some Bones minis before moving onto the other kits (despite having all the kits already).

LTPK2: I am getting there. It is completely feasible that I will complete these before UPS arrives tomorrow...maybe.

I finished Steps 2 and 3 of the cloth (shading and highlights). I then applied the Blackened Brown to start off the Basing, Details and Finishing Touches step before calling it for the night. I only have another page and a half of the instructions to go.

post-8303-0-01606900-1372841572_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-71165100-1372841574_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good! I hope you finish these before digging into the trove of Bones :) Then paint up a bunch of Bones, which will set these lessons in your mind. When you get around to doing kits 4 and 5, you'll buzz right through them. Kit 3....that's the trick. I recommend holding out until you're somewhat comfortable with your blending layers to do that one.

Thanks CW!

I think my current biggest thing holding me back is my brush control. Practicing lining on some bones will help that.

• Like 1

I finished these up in today.

I have yet to take a picture, but will soon. I have spent the last few hours pouring over my Bones arrival. It has been opened, inventoried (with a couple mistakes, but nothing major), sorted into ziplock bags by add on/stretch goal, and I even organized my paints and got them entered into a spreadsheet. Now to decide where to start with painting my Bones...

Here are the pics of the finished product with my current paint rack in the background:

post-8303-0-45123700-1372916817_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-79142300-1372916820_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-86302200-1372916824_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-85449500-1372916827_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Added highlights:

tsuko4.jpg

Smoothed out my blends by going over the majority of the skin with a wash of oiled leather and then went back in with more shadows and highlights:

tsuko5.jpg
Won't be working on anything for the next few days, off to finish packing my suitcase for PAX. Hubby and I fly out tomorrow morning and I am now off to make a lasagne!

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 3

Finally got these two to a place I'm happy with. A lot of them hasn't been highlighted, no bases, but I'm really sick of looking at them. I don't quite know why :( One day I anticipate I will go back and do more work on them.

I think I might need to set a goal to ensure I get enough painting done. Two in more than two weeks is hardly reasonable considering the thousand+ minis I have to paint.

post-10167-0-57144200-1376218439.jpg

Edited by Arnifix
  • Like 4