Finally got these two to a place I'm happy with. A lot of them hasn't been highlighted, no bases, but I'm really sick of looking at them. I don't quite know why :( One day I anticipate I will go back and do more work on them.

I think I might need to set a goal to ensure I get enough painting done. Two in more than two weeks is hardly reasonable considering the thousand+ minis I have to paint.

Arn, how did you get the text on Laurana's scroll to be so perfect? I tried to use "thinned Blackened Brown" to fill the text...and promptly left huge splotches all over my parchment. Even when just using the tip of my 5/0 that came with the kit, the point was way too big to be used for the scrollwork.

Yet yours looks perfect.

The kit has been out of stock here for a bit, otherwise I would be doing it this week. I tried sourcing it elsewhere, but am not sure from product photos if it;s the updated kit with the full sized bottles.

This thread has inspired me. I've finished the go-back-and-obsessively-check-every-crevice part of kit 1, and I'll seal those tomorrow and call them finished. I've cleaned up (as much as I'm willing to) kits 2-5. Kit 2 is washed and stickied to bottle caps. Tomorrow, I prime!

• Like 1

Started up on the LTPK 2 its time to tackle Tsuko and try and get back into the groove of detailed painting.

got the basecoat applied on thurs night.

Tsuko+skin+basecoating.jpg

this morning I started got some basic shading of the skin done for stage two of the instructions...little rough in spots but I'm hoping the blending of highlights will help clean up my post sat morning recovery shaky hands

Tsuko+skin+shading.jpg

• Like 4

next stage adding some highlights..gonna probably give it another layer.

I'm back to my skimmed milk ring issue again..probably have to much paint on the brush again :)
but its getting there.

Tsuko+skin+highlighting.jpg

• Like 7

applied another light highlight layer to skin..its subtle not sure if it needs another one
and then did the eyes mouth and hair.eyes are abit lopsided but turned out ok..as always one eye seems to just cometogether nicely and I struggle to get the other the same :)

had to keep touching up the left side of his nose due to getting liner and white on it.

Tsuko+eyes+and+hair.jpg

on to pants now I think.

• Like 6

Your monk highlights are kicking the stool out of my monk highlights. Considering how much I like the way mine looks from a reasonable (AKA not in a 6 megapixel image) distance, I can only imagine that yours looks amazing on the table in front of you.

• Like 1

thx for the kind words!

I filled in the gap between the broccoli base and lip of the plastic last night with watered down white glue and sand..just working on washes and drybrush to blend together atm

i got the red basecoat done. once I do the wash for shading on the pants I'll post an update.

Heres the the base drybrushing..does blend pretty well with the broccoli base

I basecoated the pants blood red then applied the wash as per the instructions then used thinned down blood red to bring the midtone color back up
gonna start on the highlights next..I'll do the belt and wraps after..didn't make sense to do them before applying the wash to the red areas.

Heres pic of the pants right after applying the dark wash..then after building back up the midtones.

I really do prefer to coat the whole thing in the wash then blend back the mid vs trying to just paint in the wash in the creases(like the shading on the skin)..I find its easier to blend back up to the mid.

pants washed

Tsuko+5+pants+shaded.jpg

pants midtone brougth back up.

Tsuko+6+pants+midtones.jpg
Edited by bloodydrake
  • Like 4

applied the coral highlight color to the paints..I'm hoping I didn't use to much..mostly just the front of the knees and main creases.

the grey color of the sash is almost the same color as the primer I used that was a challenge to try and make sure I had good coverage. then highlighted the cloth strips..I might have made the color of the sash to light..not sure
Looks like its the weapon and sandals left and any outstanding touch ups

Well here it is so far...

Tsuko+6+pants+highlights.jpg

• Like 6

had to keep touching up the left side of his nose due to getting liner and white on it.

That's why I do the eyes while the face is only base coated!

• Like 1

ya i think doing it after the shading wash makes sense but before the highlighting so any touch up would be relatively easy.

I got the weapon and sandals all painted brown and highlighted...just need to do the gold now and and some touch ups.

which is the next logical progression for these kits? LTPK4?

I generally base coat with the shadow tone, or a lower mid-tone, and don't wash. But yeah, a wash can quickly ruin your day if you painted the eyes first (I did that on L2PK1 Anhurian).

Yes, kit 4 would be the next logical stop. Bertoooookk! Bonus: he only has one eye :)