Sign in to follow this  
MiniPainterC

Color for rope/string, picture attached.

I am painting a mini for my Descent 2nd edition game. I am fairly new to painting and I cant come up with a color for painting rope. I've ran into this problem on a couple of minis. By looking at the picture where the light is not reflecting it looks kinda gray but I feel like it may not translate onto the mini. Anyone got any recipes or suggestions for rope.

FFG_descent_second_edition_ashrian_elf_catell-ruz.jpg

I'll second the recommendation for the Bone triad. You could get away with Aged Bone and Bone Shadow and use white for highlighting. These are also great colours for stone, or to mix in to browns to dull them down to paint old wood, for bones and horns, etc.

• Like 1

I'll second the recommendation for the Bone triad. You could get away with Aged Bone and Bone Shadow and use white for highlighting. These are also great colours for stone, or to mix in to browns to dull them down to paint old wood, for bones and horns, etc.

OOh, goody I got something right :;): I never know when I try something on my own, even if I personally like the results.

fyi, BoardgameGeek has pics of painted Descent mini's, including Ashrian:

http://www.boardgame...n?size=original

http://www.boardgame...sefilter=&B1=Go

I have the miniature. There's a lot of molding to cut off. It's an assembled two-piece miniature, and looks like a pain to paint. You might want to get or make your own angled detailed brush. I also understand the plastic used by FFG is somehow inferior for painting compared to plastics by miniatures companies (most boardgamers don't paint). Personally, I'm painting the monsters first because I still want to practice, but I saw a good pic on BGG of Ashrain as his first painted miniature. If you don't have paints, it looks like the Reaper Learn to Paint Kit 2 has the colors and techniques you will want for this mini.

fyi, BoardgameGeek has pics of painted Descent mini's, including Ashrian:

http://www.boardgame...n?size=original

http://www.boardgame...sefilter=&B1=Go

I have the miniature. There's a lot of molding to cut off. It's an assembled two-piece miniature, and looks like a pain to paint. You might want to get or make your own angled detailed brush. I also understand the plastic used by FFG is somehow inferior for painting compared to plastics by miniatures companies (most boardgamers don't paint). Personally, I'm painting the monsters first because I still want to practice, but I saw a good pic on BGG of Ashrain as his first painted miniature. If you don't have paints, it looks like the Reaper Learn to Paint Kit 2 has the colors and techniques you will want for this mini.

Yea I have all the LTPK's except 3 so I have a nice selection of colors , I also have a pretty good selection of Vallejo Game Colors but I seem to like Reaper's Paints better. I did paint some of the monsters and I agree that the mini's are not great for painting. Some of the details are to small for me to paint so I just have to wing it.I am going to have to pick up some other colors as I don't have any violets and the colors I do have I cant mix to my satisfaction. I am thinking of picking up the MSP HD sets and see how they do on the board game mini's. I have seen the pictures on BGG and that is what has inspired me to paint actually. Now that I have started I'm really enjoying it. I am still experimenting with the painting and have improved some but I have a long way to go. I do get much more enjoyment from painting the Reaper mini's then the board game ones. I will probably just end up doing some speed painting techniques on them as you really don't see much of the detail when they are finished anyhow.

• Like 1

The miniatures in the second edition of Descent are an improvement over those in the first edition and its expansions, but still not ideal for painting. I have painted a few first edition sets and one second edition set for gamer friends and my experience is the plastic itself presents no real problems IF the minatures are thoroughly washed to remove any mold release agent and primed with a good spray primer (I have never been able to get a brush-on primet to adhere well). The plastic finish on some figures is slick so it would be very difficult to paint an unprimed figure since even undiluted paint beads up. The bigger issue is the mold lines and other imperfections. For example, mold lines seem to be in the most inconvenient places and every dragon I have painted had gaps where the tail was glued to the body which I either ignore or fill with Milliput depending on how large the gaps are.

In my opinion the important thing to remember is the figures are not intended for, and are not suitable for, display level painting so don't get hung up pn things like blending and getting smaller details just right - Save that for the great Reaper miniatures and just have fun slapping some paint on the boardgame minis, I have very much enjoyed painting the figures to a tabletop standard and the people I painted them for were pleased with the results.