Sign in to follow this  
ced1106

Pre-washing Bones (without the wash)

One technique for painting miniatures is pre-washing. You prime the miniature in white, wash (or ink) the miniatures, and the details stand out. The wash also can serve as shading. Bones doesn't require priming, but inks and washes directly applied to a Bones miniature will bead. So how do we pre-wash a Bones miniature, without beading?

1. Mix one drop of clear gesso with one drop of dark paint. (fwiw, Liquitex gesso drops are about twice the size as Reaper paint drops...)

2. Wet your paintbrush, dip in the mixture and paint thinly.

1. Mix four drops of matte to one drop of dark paint. Matte is paint without pigment, so will stick to the Bones.

2. Do not load the brush. Lightly paint your Bones miniature.

3. Matte isn't ink, so it's likely you will still have something of a coat of paint on the miniature. Wipe off your brush on a paper towel, then lightly wipe the miniature with your brush to remove excess paint and reveal the white Bones plastic, sort of a reverse drybrush. Some of the mixture will remain in the crevasses, like a wash would.

If you want to get fancy, or are painting a large miniature, you can pre-wash different parts of your Bones miniature in different matte-paint mixtures. Some of the Bones miniatures have dungeon-tile bases, so you could use a matte-black mixture for the dungeon base, and a different mixture for the miniature itself.

post-8230-0-36909200-1351030868_thumb.jpg

I actually had fairly good result with just reaper paint diluted 1 : 2 with water. It beaded off the surface, but stayed in the cracks. This let me find the seams. After cleaning the seams, I scrubbed with pine sol to have a clean mini for the bones painting class in a few weeks, so I don't have a picture.

Not to be a smartypants, but just because you don't have to primer, does that mean you CAN'T? Keep in mind I haven't painted nor even had my hands on any of the Bones minis yet, so it's quite possible there's something I don't know. But it seems to me instead of mixing and mashing other products so that it'll take a wash as the first coat, it might just be easier to prime.

Not to be a smartypants, but just because you don't have to primer, does that mean you CAN'T? Keep in mind I haven't painted nor even had my hands on any of the Bones minis yet, so it's quite possible there's something I don't know. But it seems to me instead of mixing and mashing other products so that it'll take a wash as the first coat, it might just be easier to prime.

Priming doesn't make the details pop out, it just changes the overall color. ::): Although I've had good results priming Bones black (with gesso) and then dry brushing white...

You absolutely can prime the Bones, but not necessarily with exactly the same products as a metal miniature. I primed four Bones with different things, then painted them and subjected them to a lot of abuse to test the strength of the primers. The Reaper brush-on primer works very well. I also had good results with Duplicolor Sandable spray primer. People have mentioned a few other spray primers working for them in threads in this section of the forum. However, it's important to note that people have also mentioned having problems with some spray primers. Probably because they contained solvents or other chemicals that don't behave well with the Bones. So if you want to spray prime, I recommend you test your spray on a single Bones miniature and see how the primer cures (or doesn't) before doing a whole group.

Also, you can just use paint as primer. Just put on a coat of white paint and then do your wash. Or if you prefer starting with a black or gray primer surface, coat the Bones with one black or gray coat.

Once youv'e got one coat of something (primer or paint) on the surface of the Bones, you can use any paint technique I can think of to try and it'll behave the same as it would on a metal miniature.

Actually there have been varied results of priming Bones with regular primers. The worst being that the primer never cures and remains tacky. I "primed" my figure using straight MSP and a moistened brush. The results can be seen in the great Ogre WIP. After painting the entire figure gray I noticed a bit of an out-gassing odor. I'll need to see if this is endemic on the other bones figures I own.

You can *definitely* prime Bones! I posted elsewhere my priming results with a Rustoleum spray primer and Reaper Brush-On Black Primer. The former was tacky but eventually cured, and the latter can rub off on the raised parts.

What I'm suggesting is just a Bones version of yet another tool you can use when painting. Some people prime black, some people blackline, some people wash.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the digital camera is in the car. But if I ever get it indoors, I'll take a pic!

Even my base coats are thinned, and you don't want to use thinned paint on unprimed Bones. Priming with a proper primer works fine, I'm not sure why you'd 'half prime' a mini like that.

In my case I do a wash so I can find all the seams that need to be cleaned up. On a bones mini they can be real hard to find!

Even my base coats are thinned, and you don't want to use thinned paint on unprimed Bones. Priming with a proper primer works fine, I'm not sure why you'd 'half prime' a mini like that.

This isn't priming. It's a wash for Bones, since you cannot use conventional water-thinned paint as a wash directly on Bones.

EDIT: Works better with gesso. Gesso's often mentioned as a primer for miniatures, but here we're using it as a wash and allowing most of the Bones white plastic to still be visible.

Nope! I only have the clear stuff -- at one time I was thinking I could use it for primer for any color. Gesso or primer then wash should work, of course. This technique removes one step, so there's less drying. I've read articles of painters who add ink to their gesso before priming so figured I'd give it a shot.

Anyway, I retried this on El Garriyo in black, and the details are showing up *just* fine! Now to find a way to get my Bones kobold coated in self-removing black primer white again... :P

Priming with Acrylic Gesso:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

True, I knew the priming wouldn't take the place of a wash, I meant as a coating so the wash would stick. Instead of mixing gesso with eye of newt or what have you so that the wash would stick :;): I like that there are so many options here, lots of ways to do things make for interesting minis.