You're off to an excellent start bloodydrake! I agree regarding the face covering. The orange helped tone it down a little.

In regards to dipping your mini's, it is, of course, entirely up to you. But remember, the more you paint and highlight yourself, the better you'll get at it. As others have mentioned, dipping is great for finishing mini's, but if you want to become a better painter, there's no better prescription than to paint! That and beg, borrow, and steal any technique you can get your hands on. :;):

Those look like birch tree seed pod litter as described in "The Craft". If you have access to a birch tree in your nearby parks/woods, I'd recommend forgoing the purchase of something you can get for free!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your right those look just like birchtree seeds! I'll have to see if I can find some when they're seeding.

I Did some more highlight work this evening and cleaned up the wood of the weapon.

Might apply one more layer of highlights on the leather not sure it might be enough the way it is now.

finished+highlighting+3rd.jpg

I'm thinking its ready for some quickshade..but will wait till tomorrow evening after work to do that.

• Like 1

ya I love the werewolf theme of Orboros but never really liked the green and gold Armour combo. I saw a Bluetablepainting video of a Fall color scheme and was awestruck. mines a bit more simplified but for a forested woodsy color scheme I much prefer fall colors to just bright summer green.

i've painted Legend of Drizzt , Castle Ravenloft and half of Wrath of Ashardalon Dnd Boardgames.

They're great beginner Models to start on since each game comes with about 35 figures and the game costs about 60 bucks.Tho they are very low detail for the most part ..all are single piece soft plastic molds so tend to be very basic models. I mostly post all those in the Boardgamegeek gallery for the games.

Heres a link to the Drizzt ones all done.

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1312942.jpg

I haven't done anything artish since highschool back in the mid 80's. But when we were having a boardgame night a buddy of mine thought I should really paint the DnD board game figures for us to play after the summer..so off to the gamestore I went :) I started Drizzt in May ,Ravenloft around June and Ashardalon late august.(took most of summer off).

Then i came across this Reaper Kickstarter and that pushed me off the deep end and transitioned from boardgame painter to Miniature Wargame painter :)(hope to be a player as well between Hordes and Warlords).

Since nothings coming from the kickstarter till next year I picked up the new Hordes 2player battlebox and some extra figures on my Birthday and well here we are :)

• Like 2
all are single piece soft plastic molds

Ive got the Drizzt set myself (won it in a competition... score!), and some of the larger minis seem to be multi-part but pre-assembled. I can see very obvious separation lines and some glue spots. The trolls for example seem to have separate heads and forearms.

I like the paint jobs. The little drakes catch my eye as quite nice. You havent got the big fiend included in the shot, is he all painted up too?

your probably right, the big ones might have been multi-part..most of the 28mm size ones are single tho.

And yes I skipped painting the 3 big guys.They weren't used all that much in the game so figured I'd wait till the end..and well got sidetracked and haven't finished Ashardalon yet.

Now with all the large figures from the Kickstarter I'm thinking by next summer I'll might pickup an airbrush

So I finished up with the third.

3rd+Finished.jpg

I tried doing a final layer of highlights after the quickshade dip dried. I did them on the tops of the gold armor trim,around the tips of the leather exterior pieces and the end of the weapon.

I think it helps brighten up some of the dulling effect of the dip..Think I should do that for rest or does it look to abrupt?

heres the first 3 completed together for comparison.

3+druids+done.jpg

so onwards and upwards :)

started working on the 4th but the eyes aren't working out gonna have to redo one.

As well its real challenging getting behind the weapon on this one to paint the body...wondering if i shouldn't have painted body fully before attaching the hands and weapon.

starting+4th.jpg

• Like 4

I think it helps brighten up some of the dulling effect of the dip..Think I should do that for rest or does it look to abrupt?

As well its real challenging getting behind the weapon on this one to paint the body...wondering if i shouldn't have painted body fully before attaching the hands and weapon.

From that picture, it looks very good.

Remember, it's not always about perfect blending. Most of the time, painting miniatures is about fooling the eye into thinking that it is blended, shadowed, and highlighted like a full-size object.

As far as your problems painting behind the weapon... I very rarely assemble a model before it is painted exactly for that reason. It makes it more difficult to visualize the completed mini, but it's so much easier to paint.

Before you assemble, think to yourself: Am I going to want to paint this later?

All in all, for a beginning painter, you should be extremely proud of yourself.

Do you have room to grow? Of course. But don't we all? :;):

For example, on your third mini, the leather skirting of the armor... You have the entire lip highlighted. Next time try only highlighting the most raised portions of the lip with your most extreme highlight color. You'll be surprised at the results.

• Like 1

For example, on your third mini, the leather skirting of the armor... You have the entire lip highlighted. Next time try only highlighting the most raised portions of the lip with your most extreme highlight color. You'll be surprised at the results.

I wondered about the skirt edge,if it was abit to strong and thought I might have spread it out abit to much.Appreciate all the feedback :)

mostly just layering for the last 10 figures or so..before that it was just base color then dip.

..i've watched abunch of videos on blending and think i understand it conceptually. but I haven't had very much success doing it.i find the paints I have when I thinned them tend to dry really fast so trying to do a two brush blend it was leaving ..how to describe it..a line where it was first applied like a milk film ...it wasn't working out all that well. so i figured I'd try and get my layering to be smoother and less wavy before going back to it.

I can't wait for the kickstarter figs to come in. all the ones that are figures I don't have a particular care about or have a use for are gonna be great to experiment on without worrying if they don't turn out right :)

The trick to this is properly thinned paint. Take a look at "Let it Flow" in "The Craft" section and try that. When wet blending, you generally want your paints somewhat thick. I usually only put 1:1:2 (water:slo-dri:paint) ratio while wet blending. You want your paints to have the consistency of heavy cream.

Generally when layering, you want your paints to be fairly watered down to create an illusion of blending (there's that word again ::): ).