• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding it odd that so much of the surface is this lush green carpet, but the trees and dirt are quite dry, by the colors they show. Oklahoma clay tends to ball and crack even without drying, so it holds a darker mud-red much longer, I don't know if you want to drastically change tack on the dirt though.

The trees are what stands out more, to me...as green as the turf/undergrowth/foliage is, I'd expect the trees to be darker and maybe coated in moss. Right now, they read very stark against the green. As you and others have said, a brown wash will help, but I might even try a green one on the trees.

• Like 1

thx for the ideas folks..definitely got me thinking and reassessing things.. gonna try and get some good Ariel reference photo's to help..one think i want to somehow incorporate is some wild flowers..but not sure if that will work..but seems 90% of the pics of fields and meadows all have white/yellow/purple wild flowers in them.

Edited by bloodydrake

Just get a badly splayed boarhair brush and stipple in some swathes of flower-color (assuming you don't want to flock in 3d flowers). Keep in mind that they will concentrate in places that they'd stick to...either the sides of hills or under fallen branches (where the ground rises up to catch seeds from the wind) or in particularly sticky earth (where they fall and aren't picked up again).

The former will produce wide carpets on hillsides where all the seeds can get the sun (what caught them was open soil) and small, stunted patches with fewer flowers under rocks or logs (what caught the seeds creates shade and encourages mud, which is great for moss and fungi but not for bluebonnets and daisies). The latter will make small, but lush, patches in concentrated areas.

But yeah, stippling. A splayed brush or really open-celled foam is what you want.

• Like 1

It doesn't have a sense of underlying topography or drainage. Maybe if you shaded an area a bit deeper and gave it some gloss somehow?

this as well has me thinking..around the dry dirt areas if i painted more dead grass and brown wash around them and connect the sections together like a dried creek. maybe where the dried earth was more ponds..not sure if it will work or be two busy..might do some photoshop testing to see

Edited by bloodydrake

Howdy all, I ended up taking a few weeks off from painting and just enjoying the summer holidays the mat wasn't going were I wanted so Figure I'd roll it up and get back to it when I'm in the mood.

But alas before long the itch was back to finish up some more figures so I've been working on the large gun teams the last week

I used some woodfiller to flesh out the large bases and give them some ground shapes for the zis 2 and zis 3 teams..I glued down a few remaining inserts from the infantry team scultpted bases in the front and then applied some sand and dry brushed the colors up to match the bases I've done for the infantry. Overall I think they turned out pretty good. I'm gonna use the rest of the small inserts on the Large mortar Crew. I find when I press in the infantry bases to create sockets its best to just let the whole thing dry for a couple days before popping them back out..less cracking.

gun+team+bases.jpg

gun+team+bases1.jpg

so Here are the finished 45mm 1942 obr medium gun teams..the bases are made up of two small bases glued together on some plastic from blister pack and used some woodfiller ot blend together..overall it worked out pretty good

45mm+1942+obr+gun+teams.jpg

then I finished up the zis 3 teams on the large bases

Zis+3+teams.jpg
and then the zis 2 teams..I messed up and have the axels upsidedown on these which is why they're pointing up higher.....didn't notice I did them wrong till I was painting them heh
Zis+2+teams.jpg
Edited by bloodydrake
  • Like 5

Welp. I finished off the last of the medium man packed gun teams from the PSC army bundles I bought..all thats left of the infantry stuff is the 6 large based Heavy Mortar teams.Which i'm halfway done...so close :)

the bases are mostly made up of small bases I had left over from the 3 packs of plastic rubble bases I had left. I just glued two of them them onto some blister plastic and filled in the gap in the middle they're abit rough around the edges but it worked out ok.
The two in the front right were made from a large base I cut in half then just used wood filler and sand on to create a bit of a dirt mound.

rest+of+man+packed+gun+teams.jpg

• Like 2

The Little Army Men ARE FINISHED! :bday:

I finally got around to finishing the 6 heavy mortar crews, nothing special but they're done and its been a long haul getting all these infantry finished.

heavy+mortars.jpg

And heres a picture of the completed Russian Horde
its not the greatest pic but my old Iphone doesn't do well with far way detail shots like this.

the+horde3.jpg

Oh and all my wave 3 preorded figures for x-wing came in yesterday..which I must say I'm kinda glad I don't have to paint that game and can just play it.I really don't have any interest in painting spaceships.
I got em all in to the kickstarter case with a little modifications and all the tokens and dials into a Mastercraft parts storage container. So thats 2 core sets and one of every ship type...

I should have bought more of those cases during the kickstarter..they're handy

x-wing.jpg

Now I think I gotta get back to finishing up those LTPK before tackling some Bones...its gonna be nice to focus on one single figure at a time for a change let me tell ya! :)

YAAAA :bday: :bday: :bday:

• Like 5