Purple Worm (03009) & Scenic Base WIP

Hello everyone,

This will be my first WIP post. While I've been painting minis for a while now, I've never been too creative when it comes to basing. Because of this, I recently went on a shopping "spree" and spent 5 bucks on small wooden bases!

I seem to have the cart before the horse as my actual worm model is *almost* done. I tried a couple new things on this mini and did them out of order, so now I have to go back and fix some things, but for the most part you can see where I'm going with the mini. New stuff I tried on this mini: Inks & Drool. I used my matte sealer after affixing the drool and now I have matte drool :rolleyes:. Oh well, live and learn right?

This post will mainly be about basing this guy, and right now I'm stuck between a desert or jungle base. I'm leaning towards desert even though the colors don't really match, because I think it will be easier. And while I'm not against challenging myself, I want to have the base be of sufficient quality to match the mini.

Well, what do you guys think?

post-8535-0-88522600-1351468128_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fantastic colors, btw!

Thanks Corporea! It was my first time using inks. I was very surprised with the result. The colors are increadibly vibrant, but I can't seem to get rid of the sheen resulting from the inks. I'll keep at it though. The model definitely isn't done, just mostly. I still have all of the touch-ups to do yet.

Total time for the mini so far is about 5-6 hours. All of it is dry brushed except the green poison nodules. I used the inks to mask the dry brush powdery-ness.

I think it looks great so far, nice work! For sure you're comfortable with a brush.

How big is your wooden base? I'm also think the jungle base would be a better choice. If you choose this option, you can have a lot of interesting material to work with if you look for plastic aquarium plants.

• Like 1

teach how to drool ::o:

The Reaper Resources has a fantastic write up on drool.

I dig the worm and I think that either a rocky or jungle base would be tres' nice.

I used that one, but the loc-tite didn't work for me. I ended up using something from my wife's drawer called Glossy Accents, which ended up working very well. It has minimal shrinkage after drying and is much more viscous than the superglue used on the Reaper craft here. One word of warning though: Don't mix paint with it as it loses it's viscosity and makes it very difficult to keep on your armature.

The desert base I was considering would be very rocky. Almost mountainous, which would be amusing since the worm is tunneling through it.

I think it looks great so far, nice work! How big is your wooden base?

I'm also think the jungle base would be a better choice. If you choose this option, you can have a lot of interesting material to work with if you look for plastic aquarium plants.

I have two options for my base. I originally wanted to put it on a 5x7, but I think I might relegate it to a 3x5. Once I put the mini on the 5x7, it looked too small. If I were to put multiple mini's on the 5x7, it'd work.

• Like 2

"Run! Definitely run!"

I'd like to place another vote for the jungle base.

On the sheen; Inks are a good way to get intense colours, and you've done good work with them here. But with blue ink you may find you have problems with purplish/almost coppery lights, especially if it's not diluted. It seems to be a general problem with the pigments in use, although adding a drop of matt medium kills it somewhat.

( - Incidentally, clear nail varnish makes good drool as well.)

• Like 1

Wow that's an amazing looking worm. As for the matte drool I have a pot of GW brush on sealer for this purpose as it's high gloss. Once everything is done I can go retouch the areas I don't want matte.

The problem you're going to have with this miniature and making a cool base is he takes up a lot of room and unless you place him on something 80mm or bigger you're really going to have no room to work with (for those that don't have this mini it takes up about 95% of a privateer style 50mm base).

I suggest going to display route and getting one of these wooden things (see picture) from a craft store (these are hobby lobby). Not sure what they're actually called but they work great for displays but you will need to sand them and stain them. The great thing with this mini is you don't even have to glue him to the display base but could just sit him on it and have some scene of people fighting it.

These are two different types of the wooden displays from hobby lobby, the round one has been stained by me, they have sizes between the two and the rectangle one shown is about as large as they go. Both of these are under $2.

post-6838-0-44866500-1351481834.jpg

• Like 1

Love the worm. I get a night time on Pandora feel from the colors..or something in the Underdark with glowing shrooms

It feels like its not in daylight.

Love it tho great work

You're a genius!

I love the Underdark. I wasn't even thinking of that for this model. I think i'm going to try that.

I read this post last night before going to bed, and I couldn't sleep because I was planning it out!

"Run! Definitely run!"

It seems to be a general problem with the pigments in use, although adding a drop of matt medium kills it somewhat.

I used a drop or two of Vallejo glazing medium in my old GW inks. I always hated inks because they left a ring when they dried, but after watching Hot Lead, I tried the glazing medium and voila! Instant intense colors.

I'll have to try that matte medium as an additive instead and see if it takes some of that sheen away. Or, I could just brush on several thin coats and see if that helps.

Wow that's an amazing looking worm.

I suggest going to display route and getting one of these wooden things (see picture) from a craft store (these are hobby lobby). Not sure what they're actually called but they work great for displays but you will need to sand them and stain them. The great thing with this mini is you don't even have to glue him to the display base but could just sit him on it and have some scene of people fighting it.

post-6838-0-44866500-1351481834.jpg

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how he came out. I wasn't sure at first about the colors, but it came together in the end.

The bases you're referring to are wooden plaques. They are sold at major craft stores (Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby). For the small miniature sized ones like here, they are regularly priced at $0.79/ea. But if you wait for their coupons or sales, you should be able to get them for less than $0.50/ea. The larger ones like you're referring to are about $1.49. The one I'm thinking of doing is this one, but I may switch to a circle to accommodate more terrain.