Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Well 2020 is over and even though the year wasn't so great I did get my dragon goal of 12 dragons completed (actually completed 15 !) So with the new year I'm looking to try it again.
The last year I did a bunch of dragons from all eras a d makes. This year I think I will make the challenge a little more specific. This year I'll try for 12 dragons from defunct companies: grenadier, Ral Partha, Thunderbolt Mountain, heritage, and others that are no longer producing today. Whether i include minis from companies that died recently, im not sure (and I know Ral Partha lives on as Iron Wind and Grenadier lives on as Merltion? But I'm including them because its my challenge and the ones I have are the originals.
That said the first piece I did was the Bridge of Sorrows. It came out really well so I let my better half look through my old boxed sets and she chose the next one: Clutch of Fear!
This is another mini that I have had sitting in its box waiting for decades to be completed and its time has come (besides if I really mess up they have started recasting the molds again so its not an utter disaster. Also, since i have this one in the original box, I thought i would do a WIP to show how it goes.
Here is what it look like when I opened the box...
All the parts are there, including the instructions (more on those in the future) and an "inspected by 3" as well as assembly instructions.
Hope you all enjoy the ride. I'll try to be diligent with updates.
So anyone who follows my planned goals for hobbying/painting in the Speed Painting subforum knows that I don't fair very well when it comes to monthly goals; I barely got one month's goal done last year. So this year I've decided to give myself a bit of leeway: an entire year to try to complete five hobby goals from 25 possibilities. The idea was inspired from Rob Hawkins' blog, that I've sporadically read for a few years.
I've tried to tailor my card to areas in which I typically struggle yet still retain some fun, as well as to make sure that no path to victory is entirely easy for me. Given that I finished no models last year, this should still prove quite a challenge for me.
A couple squares are time sensitive goals. To provide myself with a bit more incentive, I've decided to incorporate some health goals into the mix should I fail to achieve them. For example, if I'm attempting the assembly of 10 model in under a week, however many models I fall short by equals a number of physical exercises. I'm looking forward to it (both the exercise and getting through some of my stash).
I'll do my best to post here so you all can keep me honest. Don't be afraid to ask me about my progress!
I finally tried out the airbrush I got this past year. Spent the day getting used to it and testing it out.
I've had a set of Croak Raiders from Hordes that I've been excited to paint up. I figured an airbrush would really help speed up the process.
However, I knew better than to test out a new tool on something so detailed that I cared so much about.
So I broke out this Great Worm that I got for use in Rangers of Shadow Deep.
I documented my process for once as I was sharing it with some friends, so I figured I'd show it off here too.
The worm got glued to a 2in base and I used sand to help build up a transition from the rocky sculpt to the base.
More super glue and some baking soda were added to the whole thing to create a finer texture that looks better at scale. This is my go-to basing method. I use more or less sand depending on my purpose.
I don't yet have a primer for the airbrush so I primed this mini with craft paint as usual. I did use a darker gray than normally as I had a feeling this would work better for airbrushing.
So I broke out my new airbrush. Got an Iwata from some friends last summer. I've only ever used an airbrush a few times before but never for minis.
Decided to paint this as a Purple Worm so it could serve double duty in D&D. Slapped on a few shades of purple. My takeaway here is that I could use colors with more contrast and really push the light values.
I had a bit more contrast in the under belly, painted the mouth deep red, and then slapped some brown on to the base. I figured this was as much as I could accomplish with the airbrush.
I wasn't happy with the contrast so I added some washes to darken the shadows before moving on to some layering for highlights and detail work.
I'll get around to taking better pictures later, but this was the final result. I still spent nearly 4 hours working on this after the airbrush, but I think it saved me a lot of time at least with the base colors.
The airbrush was definitely helpful but also annoying. Spent half the time I was using it cleaning the dang thing. Also just getting comfortable with paint it techniques.
You might have spotted in the background that I did work up the confidence to put some color on the frogs.
I was inspired by the box art for these guys so I tried giving them lighter yellow bellies and orange hands/feet.
I also tested out zenithal highlighting a bit. Unfortunately these guys were primed grey like I usually do so the contrast wasn't that noticeable. Will have to try it out properly next time.
Who's Online 12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 63 Guests (See full list)