Sign in to follow this  
Last Knight

[OPEN/GROUP] WIP L2PK4

Never had a response here. Just checking again as I am finally back to working on this. From the thread it looks like folks have been lining first and then doing the skin. The instructions make it look like you do the skin and then line, which seems to be the intent? anyone try flesh first and then lining or have a comment on which works best? although it might not matter much as I have the skin basecoated already. just wondering about lining before I do the highlights

so the you paint up to the lines and try to keep a smooth lined edge at all transitions right?

I don't think lining has to be perfectly smooth, and it is more of an iterative process where I line, paint, and reline where I slipped up.

When painting Bones I just do the whole thing in a dark color (brown liner or walnut brown usually) and then add color everywhere else rather than trying to put in lines.

When I started I was very sloppy with lining. Now...ok, I'm still very sloppy with it. I'm a sloppy painter, really working hard at improving my brush control (which is why I'm always telling people to work on brush control and paint consistency!). I clean up the lining when I'm base coating. I find it easier to slop in the lining into the recesses and then fix it up later than to try and get into some of the deeper recesses around a previously painted area.

Falstius, there have been several minis that I've lined so heavily I wish I had just primed them black.

• Like 3

Yeah, pretty much. I've heard a lot of better painters talking about just using shadow tones but pre-lining works well for me.

• Like 1

I don't pre-line every figure. I look at them on a case by case basis, and what my colours are going to be. A figure with very little in the way of clothing, especially when what there is, is going to be mostly of bright colours, I won't line at all

• Like 2

I sort of gauge it by the figure and how the painting is going. Some colors and circumstances just work better with a little lining. Or sometimes I just feel like it. Other times I just want to play with shadows and color contrasts.

• Like 2