Sign in to follow this  
Last Knight

[OPEN/GROUP] WIP L2PK4

It isn't obvious from the photos, as I went from a room full of natural light with added lamps to a room illuminated only by 2 fluros and lamps and there is a lot of sunlight here while that sun is up. However the highlights on the axe are definitely brighter now.

Anyway at this point I will not be doing anymore updates in this thread for this guy. I have the black and his axe handle to do (and a minor touch up of white on the top of the axe blade grrr) and so he will get based and go over into the Show Off forum for his next display.

post-7660-0-29311700-1354352961.jpg

Looking at the NMM I'm starting to suspect I will have more luck doing SENMM than standard NMM. This kind of bugs me because I don't really like SENMM on fantasy models and I don't have any models on my shelf at the moment that would be good for experimenting that are sci-fi.

• Like 3

Its more that the highly polished steel required to get that reflective surface is something I don't think looks right on fantasy minis, that really polished steel is pretty modern. (Existing because of the things we put with the iron to retard rusting and improve strength and appearance.)

These two minis are on the bench now. Continuing my focus on fundamentals, I'm really trying to clean up the minis better. I'm getting a bit better with each one, my goal is the holy grail of priming a mini and not finding a couple 'oops' mold lines :) Taking my time, learning how the tools interact with the metal and getting a feel for modern alloys. Still freaks me out how they make a cracking noise when I position them a bit (I'm used to lead and to a lesser extent early white metal alloy).

For as little painting experience as I developed in the 90s, I developed almost no modelling skills. A quick run with the knife over mold lines and slap the paint on!

Snips, files and knife...and good music on the iPod as always.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 1

So I did my lining, and while I was there I gave his armor and axe bits a coat of old pro paint Armor Gray. I haven't decided if I'll do the rudimentary NMM as illustrated on my pamphlet, or take a gamble and go full NMM since I have kit 3 here anyway.

I think I might go all the way. Also, I don't know if I still have lingering flu-vision or if it's because I no longer have an overhead ceiling light to illuminate the room (the switch electrocuted me and I can't get an elecrotmagician in to fix it because nobody's available), but anyway I couldn't stay near my desk lamp for very long. That thing was hard on my peepers. I might have to try to paint more in the daytime.

post-3313-0-35629800-1354845210_thumb.jpg

post-3313-0-38878200-1354845219_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

He looks very cool, buglips. I look forward to see your NMM.

ObsidianCrane, I love his face. He is quite attractive for a muscle man!

My poor guy is collecting dust somewhere long forgotten by me.

I'll do some painting tonight! (1-2 hours, probably : )

Edited by evergrin

The downside to Bugsy's 1,2,4,5,3 scheme is that you're left with Kit 1 metal for this Kit. Not sure I want to go back to wash/drybrush and I have no clue about NMM.

Anne also said in the instructions she mixed all the remaining paint from paints included with the Kit. That's some really good mixing!

I didn't know Kit 2 did lining now, which was most of the reason I recommended Kit 4 (plus it would get people used to triads). You can do the rudimentary NMM shown pretty easily, but since I've been ogling Paint Kit 3's instructions for seven years I figure might as well give 'em a try. My original intention was just to use metallics.