60016: Sajan, Iconic Monk

Maglok

Finally finished my version of Sajan, the iconic pathfinder monk. I set out to use the 'original' color scheme, but ended up not doing it all. Mainly on account of not having the skills to pull it off.

8136474848_7146a96325.jpg8136445965_a42711b47c.jpg

PS: I am aware of the blotchy hand with the sword. This mini was broken, but I figured... *beep* it, it is still worth painting!

• Like 6

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The base is great.

The paint job is solid, more practice with the brush will smooth out your lines in the paint and you will find that this leaps from "solid" to "great". As it is he will be great on the table and much of the things we see in the photos will not be noticed on the table anyway.

So you are making great progress on your painting journey :)

I like the result. A solid effort! The only thing I would've changed is the color of the stripe on his... skirt?

And I'd like to echo Adrift's comment about thinning your paints. I see some chalkiness there that this would help with.

Very nice piece overall. The light blue is visually striking and compliments his light skin tone/white details.

Oddly enough it hadn't occured to me to slap a tattoo on. Probably because it sounds like a daunting task. :)

Thanks for the tips and feedback. I did thin the paint quite a bit, if I do more it will just not stay on the spot I want it to stay at but 'slide' all over the model. :/

:D! I am already working on a new mini. This is really quite helpfull advice all over.

Oddly enough it hadn't occured to me to slap a tattoo on. Probably because it sounds like a daunting task. :)

Thanks for the tips and feedback. I did thin the paint quite a bit, if I do more it will just not stay on the spot I want it to stay at but 'slide' all over the model. :/

:D! I am already working on a new mini. This is really quite helpfull advice all over.

I have a solution for your sliding paint problem. The trick is, after you load your brush with paint, touch the point to a paper towel. Because your thinning the paint, and bristles work via capillary action, as soon as you provide another surface for the paint to go to, it shoots out of the brush and then goes everywhere! You need to get rid of the excess paint on the brush before touching it to your mini.

It takes some practice, but you'll eventually get how much paint to take out from each of your brushes so that this doesn't happen.

Wow, I haven't posted here in ages; still interested and collecting minis, but these days it's hard to find time to paint. Decided tocheck in again when a couple of co-workers started talking about their military models. Anyhow, it's good to see some familiar names and that the forums still seem to be as awesome as ever...

Anyhow, unloading your brush a bit on a paper towel is indeed the fix for really thin paint going everywhere.

I just wanted to add, you can also try using coffee filters. Some paper towels will shed paper fibers into your brush, then they get painted onto your mini and you end up with lumpy areas. Using coffee filters, which don't have that tendency, is an old trick for avoiding this effect. It's normally not a problem, but I've seen it happen once or twice with old and/or worn paper towels, especially if they've been out of the bag and off the roll for a while. Hope that helps,

Kang

• Like 1