Has anyone used the Golden Products?

Mad Pat

Has anyone used the Retarder or Flow improver by Golden Artist Colors Inc?

I just picked up a bottle of the Golden Retarder and was wondering if anyone had used the flow improver as well.

Seems a bit easer to get then the flow improver and the extender.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/prodadd.htm

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never used one of thier products that I was not totally satisfied with, in fact as I run out of a color I am currently replacing with Golden. Right now I have a few of thier concentrated tubed acrylics and I love 'em. Can't say I've used thier additives, I have grabbed the Liquitex for those, but thier other mediums are great.

I have both the Golden Flow Release and Retarder, but since I'm still very new to the whole painting world, I definitely haven't worked out the finer details of how to use these products.

(I tried painting minis ~20 years ago and gave up in extreme frustration. Now a lot of things have improved (advice/tips/etc are now easy to find on the web & other places. Back then, no one even new about using primer and the lead based alloys really need it). With all of the great sculpts available and 1000x more knowledge, I'm giving it another try)

For what it is worth, the reason I bought the Golden brand additives is that they were the ones featured in the "Painting Wizard's Workshop" videos that Scott Jensen produced (and it is the only brand of Flow Release I've found so far).

:wacko:

• Reaper User

Heya Pat,

Golden is a good, solid art supply company, much like Liquitex, and their products are comparable to the aforementioned Liquitex. I have tried their stuff; their blending agent/extender/slow-dry equivalent is decent, but I found their Flow Improver to be substandard--specifically, I had people I barely knew who had been using Golden flow improver throw it away after they tried my W&N.

--Anne, still a Winsor & Newton addict, even if they *are* expensive and British, darn it. ::D:

• Reaper User

Claymoore's got it, they're easy to find online, Ary. :) Otherwise, talk to the people at the art store you go to that carries their products for oils, I have friends who've had some success, depending on the store, in getting stores that carry the oil stuff to special-order the Acrylic Flow Improver and Blending Medium for "watercolours" (water-based paint).

--Anne ::):

--Anne, still a Winsor & Newton addict, even if they *are* expensive and British, darn it.  ::D:

I've looked in every store around here and I can't find W&N stuff for acryl. It's all for oils. Where do you get yours and do they do mail order? :huh:

Hey Ary, you come to Houston, we've got Texas Art Supply and they've got LOTS o' goodies. ::D:

Orchid - :devil:

"Painting Wizard's Workshop" videos that Scott Jensen produced

OK, I must be in a fog here, who is this Jenson guy?

At this year's GenCon, there was a booth offering videos on Mini painting techniques. They had the videos running during the course of GC, and I watched several segments over the 4 days at GC.

Looking at the flyer I picked up, the videos are produced by something called "The Painters' Guild". They consist of two volumes, about 40 min each, on DVD or VHS.

For the people on this board familiar with all the tricks, there is probably nothing in these 2 videos to learn, but for someone who either doesn't have a clue on mini painting or (in my case) gave up years ago because of frustration and poor results, they are a good introduction. If I hadn't watched these videos, I probably wouldn't have started painting minis again and therefore wouldn't have helped the economy by buying about $400 in paint, minis and accessories.

Techniques such as drybrushing, washing, blending/layering are all demonstrated.

In the spirit of many posts on a different thread, the videos strongly advocate buying W&N series 7 brushes.

for more info, their site is: www.paintersguild.com

I've used them both and they work well. I have a slight preference for WN Acrylic Flow Release but if Golden products were convenient I would not hesitate about using them.

I'll second that. WN is a superior flow improver when it comes down to it - but golden will work and its much easier to find. Its actualy what i'm using until i run out.

From what i remember the golden retarder is much thicker than folkart brand, and in a pinch it'll work, but i'm not going to set my watch by it.

I tried using the retarder yesterday and it is a gel based product, mixed in well and worked well, but i had to add more water to thin the paint down.

If it wasn't such a big bottle that cost me 8 bucks i would pitch it and go get some folkart, but hey what the hell right.

Mad Pat