Sign in to follow this  
Hellbeard

1:72 modern Bundeswehr infantry

I've thought about texture one the base but I'm not sure. The buyer will probably want to add his own; wouldn't a smooth base be better for that? If I do texture what should I make it? Do you prefer having textured bases or are they too limiting?

Thanks for the feedback!

I recently acquired some figs from Mega Mini's that had sculpted bases. The only problem I have with them is that their feet are too low, so cutting off the base is difficult if I want to modify it (I ended up cutting off one guy's foot). I think if you have a good distinction between base and foot, you can make a textured base (and anyone who doesn't like it can cut it off).

-Dave

Oh! Good intel man.

Thanks. I'll take into account as I work.

An intense monster session with a different putty mix: 65-35% yellow blue + 10/15% Brown Stuff. By the time I made the end of the pants on dude #2 it was too further along in the curing but a little shaving might help it along. (note lumpy butt)

tWwnJ.jpg

2UIpj.jpg

S1Png.jpg

pjWLX.jpg

Is it bad that I really like the tentacle look from the armature? Kind of Doc Oc-esque.

ETA: Oh, yeah, good job. Looks awesome, and I think there is enough of a boot to make cutting off a base easy.

Is it bad that I really like the tentacle look from the armature? Kind of Doc Oc-esque.

ETA: Oh, yeah, good job. Looks awesome, and I think there is enough of a boot to make cutting off a base easy.

It's fine. :D

Maybe someday I'll make horror/sci fi guys like this.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm trying my best.

From today:

BXSZZ.jpg

gAp7x.jpg

9xII3.jpg

LckXg.jpg

You could also cut away the outside extent of the base so it uses less metal.

Are you going to add texture to the top of the base?

Regarding cutting and saving on metal: haven't had such a request from the producer and I prefer to have higher fidelity in the sculpture. It would also enable the customer to modify his miniatures more.

I've thought about texture on the base but I'm not sure. The buyer will probably want to add his own; wouldn't a smooth base be better for that? If I do texture what should I make it? Do you prefer having textured bases or are they too limiting?

I'm not sure what you mean by "higher fidelity in the sculpture", so maybe you've misinterpreted what I meant (and I didn't explain it well enough).

This is all I meant. I would get rid of the red-shaded part of the base, as long as the figure still stands up properly.

post-2358-0-13956000-1352346730.jpg

Even if you don't reduce the base, I would suggest at least smoothing off the outer edge, since it looks a bit rough or unfinished.

Textured base... Good question -- my answer is "it depends". Do what you like (or what your client asks for). :;):

I didn't do any conversions or basing for many years as a painter, so I wouldn't have appreciated a smooth base for providing options, but now I don't shy away from doing complex basing.

A subtly irregular sculpted texture may indicate soil or snow to me, and I'll paint it as such, but I would sculpt my own subtle texture over a smooth base.

Other buyers would cover the entire ground with sand/ballast to indicate soil, so they may prefer a smooth sculpted base.

Others would paint the smooth base as pavement or a hard floor surface.

Still others are going to cut off any integral base and sculpt their own -- so the less base, the better for them.

I sculpted a nonspecific lumpy texture on part of this figure's base, and some moss or flowers on the tombstone:

http://www.reapermin...#detail/03229_G

In the painted examples of it, you can see how I kept the textured base and simply extended the texture over the rest of the base, but you can also see how my friend @evergrin removed the base and set the figure onto a smooth plastic base to get a different effect.

Derek

You could also cut away the outside extent of the base so it uses less metal.

Are you going to add texture to the top of the base?

Regarding cutting and saving on metal: haven't had such a request from the producer and I prefer to have higher fidelity in the sculpture. It would also enable the customer to modify his miniatures more.

I've thought about texture on the base but I'm not sure. The buyer will probably want to add his own; wouldn't a smooth base be better for that? If I do texture what should I make it? Do you prefer having textured bases or are they too limiting?

I'm not sure what you mean by "higher fidelity in the sculpture", so maybe you've misinterpreted what I meant (and I didn't explain it well enough).

This is all I meant. I would get rid of the red-shaded part of the base, as long as the figure still stands up properly.

post-2358-0-13956000-1352346730.jpg

Even if you don't reduce the base, I would suggest at least smoothing off the outer edge, since it looks a bit rough or unfinished.

Textured base... Good question -- my answer is "it depends". Do what you like (or what your client asks for). :;):

I didn't do any conversions or basing for many years as a painter, so I wouldn't have appreciated a smooth base for providing options, but now I don't shy away from doing complex basing.

A subtly irregular sculpted texture may indicate soil or snow to me, and I'll paint it as such, but I would sculpt my own subtle texture over a smooth base.

Other buyers would cover the entire ground with sand/ballast to indicate soil, so they may prefer a smooth sculpted base.

Others would paint the smooth base as pavement or a hard floor surface.

Still others are going to cut off any integral base and sculpt their own -- so the less base, the better for them.

I sculpted a nonspecific lumpy texture on part of this figure's base, and some moss or flowers on the tombstone:

http://www.reapermin...#detail/03229_G

In the painted examples of it, you can see how I kept the textured base and simply extended the texture over the rest of the base, but you can also see how my friend @evergrin removed the base and set the figure onto a smooth plastic base to get a different effect.

Derek

Ah, thank you. By higher fidelity I meant there would be a sculptured surface on the body behind the hand that's holding the pistol grip rather than some filler. Also, I'd otherwise have to make the arm holding the grip close against the rifle and it would make the sculpt more flat like an injection plastic guy.

As for the base I'll give it a good polish as you suggest, remove some material. I'm scared he'll fall over if there's not enough of it. I think I'll keep the base smooth and possibly add some subtle nicks to enable removing the figure easier.

Thank you very very much for taking the time to give me this valuable input. I appreciate it.

Hellbeard, on that high fidelity point you made about your kneeling soldier, you're more than likely going have some casting issues with it. I know its not what you want to do, but I would heed Derek's advice about filling that gap. Otherwise, as it is now, the figure could become "locked" in the mold, ruining both your figure and the mold. :blink:

We're just looking out for you man. :poke:

Gene

Speaking of looking out for you, various Reaper peeps repeatedly tell us that gamers like the textured integral bases, even though we dedicated hobbyists tend to despise them. Beware of asking the preferences of people in places like this, we're not necessarily the real-world consumer.

For wargames use, you want it to be reasonably easy to make the figures fit the bases for the popular rules. In many rules base size is very important. That would mean, at the least, cast the metal miniatures with the smallest base that balances well.

Hellbeard, on that high fidelity point you made about your kneeling soldier, you're more than likely going have some casting issues with it. I know its not what you want to do, but I would heed Derek's advice about filling that gap. Otherwise, as it is now, the figure could become "locked" in the mold, ruining both your figure and the mold. :blink:

We're just looking out for you man. :poke:

Gene

Hi Gene, thanks for dropping in. I intend to cut him up so he can be molded in a two piece mold, multi part like.

Do you still think it's ill advised? They're all going to have trapped negative spaces what with holding a rifle and everything and I hate for there to be a formless blob in the middle(or a convenient bag, pouch or sleeping cat).

I mean, I understand it's for the better in some sense but I'm not sure it's the right approach yet.

Speaking of looking out for you, various Reaper peeps repeatedly tell us that gamers like the textured integral bases, even though we dedicated hobbyists tend to despise them. Beware of asking the preferences of people in places like this, we're not necessarily the real-world consumer.

For wargames use, you want it to be reasonably easy to make the figures fit the bases for the popular rules. In many rules base size is very important. That would mean, at the least, cast the metal miniatures with the smallest base that balances well.

Thanks for the tip. Now I'm more confused. Maybe some subtle texture...

Typically the fewer parts on a figure the better. It costs less to produce, costs less for the end consumer, and they don't have to put it together when they get it home. When you're building one or two figures it's not a big deal, but if you have to put together a whole army of them, it can be a real pain.

If its a large gap then there's really not much you can do but cut it apart. If its a little smaller and you can creatively tweak it by thickening the gun a bit, or as you suggested adding a cat :poke:, then you'd be better off going that route. Try to err on the side of less parts :lol:

On bases:

If final product is metal, I prefer texture. I'm one of those legendary broccoli base lovers.

But if final product is plastic, I prefer smooth. Metal ones I might be able to get away without having to base, so the texture makes a quick drybrush satisfactory for field service. But pretty much all injection-molded plastic 1:72 figures need basing (usually on a penny, I've been hoarding them for that) so it's just as well to leave it smooth.

Removed pants, re applied pants and boots, added helmet base and pouches (the helmet looks bad but with the cover it'll be nicer), cut off arm for casting and added a dowel for positioning, worked a little bit on the fingers of the left hand and machined and added some material for the G36.

vhlM5.jpg

p5nUe.jpg

mO0c4.jpg

JBoKb.jpg

Edit: also re-did the kneeling guy's right boot because his leg was 0.5mm too long.

Looking good Hellbeard!

That's going on my promotional material,

Thank you.

On the menu: helmet cover, arm "bones" experimental technique, pouches and clasps, ears, leg drop rig straps, G36 casing deflector and grip, proof of concept dowel connection (no glue for posing but will disassemble with shake or tilt).

RcTV9.jpg

GbNjt.jpg

c1R1Z.jpg

VwCQK.jpg