2003 Holiday Sophie Tutorial

kit

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tutorial Anne. I do have a one question though. When assembling, did you file/scrape away the primer before supergluing the pieces? My experience has been that primer causes the bond to be weak since it can easily peel off. I experience this when basing figures. If the bottom is primed, it will come off very easily unless I have some green stuff bonding it.

• Reaper User
Thanks for the tutorial Anne. I do have a one question though. When assembling, did you file/scrape away the primer before supergluing the pieces? My experience has been that primer causes the bond to be weak since it can easily peel off. I experience this when basing figures. If the bottom is primed, it will come off very easily unless I have some green stuff bonding it.

Heya Mengu! :) You know, I seldom worry about the primer on the join pieces--I think usually because I've test-fitted them together so many times by the time I glue them that most of the primer has already rubbed off!! ;) In this case, though, the wings have such a large join area that I haven't had problems, and the arm join is camouflaged with greenstuff, as is the base join. So that just leaves the scabbard, which I almost expect to break once this starts to travel to shows... <wince> So, anyway, I usually don't fret about it, and if I'm feeling in the mood to fret about a join, I pin it, which usually resolves the issue! ::):

--Anne

Anne,

Very nice tutorial. I love all of the detail and the pics are awesome. I have one question (many actually) though. When highlighting the white fur, you save thin the paint to transparency and add several layers each a little smaller than the previous one. With a detail as small as the fur and very thin paint, how do you keep the watery/thinned paint from going to the crevasses?

Very nice tutorial, thanks to Anne and Reaper for posting it. I have wondered how people handle multi piece models. I know its not a Reaper mini, but I have three commission pieces that I am working on (GW Wraithlords) that I had to heavily convert. (As I detest the basic stance) The problem is that due to this I am having a bear of a time getting to some areas as some other part of the mini is on the way. I don't think in my case I could have done it any different as if any of you all know of the mini I am talking about has very small join areas in the legs and arms so I had to use extremely long pins and set the pose prior to painting.

I posted awhile back that I am always worried about not being able to achieve the same mix and that is the major reason I usually assemble prior to painting. I am curious how you all do this (I am sure there is a thread on it and I will go a-hunting for it) Also to me it would seem difficult to assemble after the fact as when sculpting the joins of the pieces that usulally requires handling the painted mini more so that during the painting process and I seem to have a bad problem of rubbing paint off during the painting as it is. How do you all handle that situation?

Once again Anne I bow before your greatness and thanks for posting the tut and link to it Kit.

• Super Administrators
I have three commission pieces that I am working on (GW Wraithlords) that I had to heavily convert.

We're working on generating content for the other sections of that area as well -- including some conversion workshops.

I really hope that people will be able to go find just about anything they need to help get their models together. Though we may not be doing any plastic pieces. I hadn't thought of that. I should go ask. Maybe a kitbashing tutorial. I wonder if I'd get in trouble for that...?

kit

I really hope that people will be able to go find just about anything they need to help get their models together. Though we may not be doing any plastic pieces. I hadn't thought of that. I should go ask. Maybe a kitbashing tutorial. I wonder if I'd get in trouble for that...?

One never knows Kit. Always check with the boss first :blues:

A kitbashing section would be awesome, but depending on what was being worked on there would be copywrite and trademark issues perhaps, so it would have to be something worked out far in advance with those companies whose stuff would appear in the section.

I seem to have a bad problem of rubbing paint off during the painting as it is. How do you all handle that situation?

I try to glue my work in progress to a working base.

I have old film containers, paint tubs, soda caps and thread spools I use. I also will glue to those pesky AOL cds for large models.

cher ^_^

no worse than holding the mini.

I have bad joints, just the mini is rough to hold most days, this actually lets me hold them longer as the bases are usually larger.

edit: use a glue you can break from. hot glue gun or white glue are my two preferences, I made the mistake once of using CA glue once. I've also tried tack putty, I didn't feel the mini was secure enough, but if the item was small, like a familiar I'd likely try it again.

cher

Edited by ladystorm

I've tried tacky putty and can't seem to get it to work. I use either elmers or superglue. I've got superglue remover that works well in breaking the bond and cleaning the bottom up.

Hot glue would just end up with me getting strings all over the place. :lol: