Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

Bones Kickstarter A "Massive Loss"?

All of these are things that can be hashed out, but we should probably start a separate thread for that...

Probably. Although I'm quite happy to continue nattering on about wargaming if you can suggest a venue.

How about http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46357-isle-of-blades-and-heroes/]over here?[/url]

On Topic, and not speaking as a Moderator - I am impressed by the product offered, and am about to call in Mrs. Reaperbryan to see if I'm allowed to back this one! I want that HUGE elemental! This project is definitely intriguing, and I really hop it does well. I know I said that before, but I mean it. As in: Hey you army of Reaperites, go back this one so I can get cool stuff!

Already backed, but my money is in short supply, so I'm in for a few singletons. The elemental is at the absolute top of my list, though. If more stuff gets unlocked, I might be able to coax some money out of my girlfriend's pocket for some more, but seriously, water elemental lord. 'Nuff said.

Sorry, boss, I'm tapped out - the perils of being on leave for a month! If they ran longer (like the dice-ring KS) I'd put it on watch so, once I get a ship and some overtime again, I could add it to the list. As it stands, though, I'll have to stand on the sidelines and wave some pom-poms for y'all. Luck!

Sorry, boss, I'm tapped out - the perils of being on leave for a month! If they ran longer (like the dice-ring KS) I'd put it on watch so, once I get a ship and some overtime again, I could add it to the list. As it stands, though, I'll have to stand on the sidelines and wave some pom-poms for y'all. Luck!

Well, the first one ran for forty days before being cancelled. So all in all, this will have lasted for over two months.

Well, the first one ran for forty days before being cancelled. So all in all, this will have lasted for over two months.

"Longer" is a relative term, I suppose. ::): "If this one ran a little more conveniently to me" might be better.

• Like 1

I suspect Bones will eventually endanger the production of new metals, if we're honest. Not right away, but I'd say 3-5 years from now (at most) the number of metal Reapers sharing shelf space against their Bones buddies will be miniscule. I'm actually so convinced this will happen that I'm building a contingency list of current release and back-catalogue must-haves just on the chance that some day I'll log in here and see an announcement that metal production is being phased out and the level of new releases is dropping.

Well, GW did this long ago with their plastics. It's been a long time, but I think GW transformed miniatures from a few things you buy for your RPG games, to multiples and special figures you buy for your armies. Last I noticed, GW still makes metal miniatures. I figure that they only use plastics for army units (because players want many of the same miniature) while they use metals for personalities (fewer sales and metal has (had?) better details than plastic). From the other KS, it's evident that metal will still be around. Not yet are plastic injection molds cheap enough that you can use them for short-run miniatures.

If and when 3D printing has the detail quality of conventional miniatures, then the revolution will come.

Oh, and remember that you can better see the details of a Bones mini with a "wash" of clear gesso and dark ink. I suspect many backers of the project will play with unpainted mini's -- just like we did before GW was around!

Last I noticed, GW still makes metal miniatures.

Look again! The only metals they sell are those that are still in stock on their website and those are being gradually phased out. All metals have been pulled from store shelves* and are being re-released as finecast, which sadly is not a nice material to work with and for no good reason costs more than the metals.

Wargaming with large numbers of metal minis was around long before GW, but I think it's fair to say they popularised sci-fi and fantasy wargaming.

EDIT: For bonus useless nerdy trivia, wargaming dates back to early 19th century Prussia, long before RPG's were ever a thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel_%28wargame%29

*certainly true for the UK, your mileage may vary in other countries

• Like 1

On Topic, and not speaking as a Moderator - I am impressed by the product offered, and am about to call in Mrs. Reaperbryan to see if I'm allowed to back this one! I want that HUGE elemental! This project is definitely intriguing, and I really hop it does well. I know I said that before, but I mean it. As in: Hey you army of Reaperites, go back this one so I can get cool stuff!

I want that HUGE elemental also.

So far I'm backing this Kickstarter and remain optimistic for its success, and I like the small company behind it, but I wish he would stay away from comparisons to other Kickstarters because it sounds too much like negativity towards the others which is unwarranted, since they aren't directly competing.

Reaper may as well run the production once, to get the product to all of you who ordered it through Kickstarter, then retire those models.

A better option than retirement would be to send them over to the Legendary Encounters pre-painted line.

Hell, I might even buy more.

I'm a miniatures addict and i'd love to back them but for one small problem. Reaper has all my money.

I had a look at the project but flat drawings don't fill me with confidence, i'd at least expect to see some prototype miniatures so I could be confident that the sculptors can bring those drawings to life.