Sign in to follow this  
Tranquil Ape

Paizo Janderhoff Wandrifler (reaper?) First Commission

Well, first time someone came to me to ask me to paint something for them. I've found it on the Paizo website but not sure if it was manufactured by Reaper or not. Was a fun piece to paint although I was going for a brassy look on the rifle and think I missed. It turned out ok just a little different than I was aiming for.

Sorry about the lack of background, I finished him up this morning and had to run out the door to deliver him to the client (we were running in a game together today)

And, as always, please don't hesitate to critique my work...

post-7704-0-95946900-1352091339_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-71765200-1352091343_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-75230500-1352091348_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I like what you've done very much and think your client will be very pleased!

My only critique, I think you might have misplaced your highlights on the leather apron in the front. He's holding out that big bangstick in front of him, and I think it would cast enough of an overhead shadow so as to darken the apron from his belt to about halfway down, and then the highlights would actually begin progressing toward the bottom of the apron.

I thought about this after I had done it... I was so focused on doing a good job that I neglected to stop and think about what I was doing.. He had specific ideas about the coloring and such and I'm happy win it mostly... I might have had darker gloves or gun-stock too to add a little contrast

The green has a nice cooling effect. I think you did great!

I might also suggest a couple of bright straight streaks across each of the lenses of his glasses to give that 'glass' look to them.

The green has a nice cooling effect. I think you did great!

I might also suggest a couple of bright straight streaks across each of the lenses of his glasses to give that 'glass' look to them.

lol, funny you mention that. I was originally trying to only get the gray down in the lower corner of each lens to look sort of 'coke-bottle-ish' but I must have been hungry or had too much coffee, i couldn't keep my hand steady enough. maybe i should try painting with a magnifier or something

"I've found it on the Paizo website but not sure if it was manufactured by Reaper or not."

First off, great job on painting the mini. Looks awesome!

Secondly, the Janderhoff Wandrifler is not a Reaper mini. It is from a time in Paizo's early history where we tried to make a run at being a miniatures company. We did a series of products called Compleat Encounters where you got three miniatures and a mini-adventure. Around the same time, we did miniatures for us with Monte Cook's Ptolus campaign. That is where the Wandrifler originally came from. When the Ptolus contract came to a close, we took the miniatures that we had made there and found a place for them in our new Golarion campaign setting. And thus was the Janderhoff Wandrifler born!

As for Paizo doing minis, we found it a lot harder going than we thought it would be. When we had first announced our miniatures line, Ed from Reaper sent me an email saying something to the effect of, "Why the heck didn't you ask us to make your miniatures for you?" Our reply was a sheepish, "Ummm, we didn't know you were interested." So when we decided that making a line of miniatures was a lot harder than it looked, we called Ed up and thus was the Pathfinder line at Reaper born. We put our old line of miniatures up on paizo.com and that was the end of that.

Glad you enjoyed painting the piece!

-Lisa Stevens

CEO

Paizo Publishing

• Like 3

Yea, this one was a lot of fun... I actually want to pick one up for myself. I much appreciate the background information. Always great to hear stories from the trenches.