recruittons

Reaper 2012 Secret Sophie Holiday Gift Exchange!

Hello, everybody, and welcome to the Secret Sophie (thanks dispatchdave for the name!) gift exchange thread! I opted for the non-denominational version because I find the name funny.

Alright, down to brass tacks. If you want to participate DO NOT post here saying you're in. You can post here with questions, with comments, or suggestions, but I think it will make it even more secret and fun if no one knows who else is in on this.

Rules!

1. PM me with the answer to my short list of questions (See Below) and you're in!

2. This is an exchange of Reaper products only. Feel free to add other things to the box if you want, but the main focus is on Reaper's miniatures.

3. Nobody is required to paint anything! Part of the fun is that this will be quite simple to be apart of, otherwise I wouldn't have run this concurrently with the Autumn Exchange ::D:

4. If you want to reveal your identity, wait until they've already received their gift, please. I'll be with-holding the identity of your recipient on purpose, but if you figure it out, or know it from previous exchanges, please don't let the cat out of the bag :;):

And that's it! The deadline for this will be shortly after New Year's day to get it in the mail. The actual holidays are way too busy to count on shippers getting the package there reliably, plus everyone is just plain busy. This should give people who want to paint some time to paint, as well :blues:

Deadline: 15th of January, 2013.

PM me with this info.

1. Name and Address (Of course)

2. If you would like to paint for your recipient - But keep in mind, painting takes time, so if you don't think you can make the deadline, just send a naked mini. They'll still love it!

3. If you can ship internationally

And there you have it. Questions, comment, suggestions all welcome, but remember, keep your participation a seeeecret :ph34r:.

Oh, and the people who've already sent their PMs from seeing my post in the Autumn Exchange thread, no need for another. I've got you folks jotted down on my master list. ^_^

So participants would post a pic of their haul and then people could speculate as to who the sender was?

Oh! And I forgot to add the cut-off date for people joining this.

Again, this will be a semi-soft cut-off, like the last one, but I'll take newcomers after the date and then assign those newcomers in waves once I have 3-4 people to do the anonymous exchange amongst each other.

Tentative cut-off/assignment date: November 30th, 2012

Should give everyone plenty of time to shop and buy something. Anybody that says they want to paint their gift will be given their assignments November 23rd, 2012, to give them a bit of a head-start on deciding on the mini to give!

So participants would post a pic of their haul and then people could speculate as to who the sender was?

Oh that sounds like fun! :bday:

And for people who receive unpainted minis, we could have a sharing thread for what they look like once they're all done up. I don't really know how to run/judge a contest, but it could be fun to have a painting contest for the received minis ^_^

• Like 2

I think we should send naked minis, and then the recipient would have to paint them up and post them.

And then we can all send each other Faceless Horrors. ::D:

• Like 11

I think we should send naked minis, and then the recipient would have to paint them up and post them.

And then we can all send each other Faceless Horrors. ::D:

There aren't enough "like" buttons for the laughs that got out of me this morning.

• Like 5

My only comment is I prefer "Secret Sophie" to white-elephant. White elephant generally indicates a gift/trade system where one person picks an item from a group, then the next person can pick an unknown item, or take the first person's item (who then gets an unknown from the pile). So, yeah. Secret Sophie. :upside:

-Dave

My only comment is I prefer "Secret Sophie" to white-elephant. White elephant generally indicates a gift/trade system where one person picks an item from a group, then the next person can pick an unknown item, or take the first person's item (who then gets an unknown from the pile). So, yeah. Secret Sophie. :upside:

-Dave

I love this idea, and I'll PM Kit to see if I can get the thread title changed ::D:

Alright, since this is getting bigger faster than I expected (so happy about that!) I'm going to ask that everyone who has sent and will be sending me a PM that was not a part of the Autumn Exchange to answer two more questions.

I'm still going to keep the questions light compared to the regular exchanges, but since this is a gift, I want to make sure you are getting something you want!

Questions of Taste

What you want (Mouslings, necromancers, warriors, dual-wielders, etc):

What you DON'T want (gross, nudity, undead, kobolds, animals, etc):

Just remember, to anybody who wants in on this that already did the Autumn Exchange, I still have your info, so I won't need you to answer this if you PM me.

My only comment is I prefer "Secret Sophie" to white-elephant. . . .

I love this idea, and I'll PM Kit to see if I can get the thread title changed ::D:

Rc: You already can. Go to your first post in this thread: punch the Edit button (it is level with the Quote button); look for the USE FULL EDITOR button, punch that; then modify the Post Title field as required (you might need to scroll up to find it).

-Dave

I have to say, I've never heard "White Elephant" used that way before - I've always heard that term to mean something that you didn't actually want that was given as a gift. What you're describing I've heard as a "Gypsy Christmas," which, yes, I know is offensive to some.

I'm from the South, and we have weird idioms....

Bless your heart, Virginia isn't exactly north... ::P:

http://en.wikipedia....t_gift_exchange

ETA: I did see what you are referring to; I had never heard of the expression being used that way. Language keeps weirding.

And having read the wiki article, "white elephant" makes more sense. ^_^

I'd also heard "Dirty Santa" before.

I've only done it a couple of times, and I got an awesome beer hammer out of it. I have to say, though, I can never resist the urge of the wrapped package... can't bear to take something from somebody else when there's something OMG AWESOME WHAT CAN IT BE still on the table. ::D: