Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

09107 brush on sealer

Hi all,

Quick question: I was in Kansas City this weekend and visited a hobby store there, Tabletop Games. Really nice place and they carry the full line of Reaper paints. I got a brush on sealer 09107 because I'm running out of the Vallejo stuff I had. So the question is - is this Reaper sealer a flat, matte finish or does it have a shine to it?

Thanks,

Mark

It's somewhere in between. It's not high gloss, but it's not flat either. I've never been able to find a truly flat brush-on.

It's somewhere in between. It's not high gloss, but it's not flat either. I've never been able to find a truly flat brush-on.

This is ultimately why I abandoned all sealers for Testor's Dullcote. It's widely available and it just primo for the price.

I just used it on my Gobber Sniper I finished and it totally deglossed the GW brush on sealer I had just used. It's not as Matte as other stuff but I was surprised with how much it did to remove the gloss.

I was using Vallejo flat matte before but am running out so decided to grab the Reaper sealer because it was right in front of me. With the Vallejo sealer I've always found it to be very shineless as long as I apply a few coats of it that have been heavily watered down. Does the same apply for the Reaper stuff?

You need to thin the Reaper brush-on sealer slightly for it to be matte. (Like 1 drop of water to 2 or 3 drops of sealer.) If you apply it straight out of the bottle, it'll have more of a semi-gloss finish. Also shake the heck out of it, and then shake it some more, and do that before every use. If you don't, you'll get less matting agent used in the first half of the bottle, and the matting agent concentrated in the second half of the bottle. Which on the surface might sound as if you're getting the flattest finish in the second half of the bottle, but too much matting agent is what makes that frosted effect that you get when matte sealer goes wrong.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this