Sign in to follow this  
Matrix Dragon

Touching up oil based primer with water based primer.. bad idea?

I have a mini that I primed using Krylon primer (spray on oil based I believe). However, before I got around to painting it I realized that I wanted to make some additional modifications to the mini (with green stuff). In addition, I noticed the primer got rubbed off in a few areas.

I don't want to spray the entire mini with primer again, so I was thinking of touching it up using some of Reaper's paint on primer. Will this probably work without any issues, or is it bad to mix different types of primer on the same mini?

Cool, thanks for confirming that! I'm glad that I'm not going to have to go through a big hassle to finish this thing.

Honestly, I'm starting to think about switching totally to paint on primer myself. It is too easy to miss spots or have mishaps with the spray on stuff.

More likely than not, it is fine. In general you shouldn't put water over oil, but this should be fine. But, hey, I never prime. All I do is a black wash and block in color followed by shading down and tinting up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      I received a commission to paint some lovely porcelain Santa figures by a friend of mine, and I'm not sure what primer to use, or whether I need to use primer at all.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is a spray primer likely to cause damage? I'd use brush-on, but given that each figure is 10 inches tall, that's a bit more hand-priming than I want to do!

Here's one of them as an example (there are 7 in total):

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By Cygnwulf
      WIP Thread here
      I finally finished this dragon. I took a lot longer for the base because I got a little carried away, but I'm really super happy with how it came out.  To begin, this was a request from my mother in law to take inspiration from a set of china she has.   
      Here's the plate

In the end though I'm really happy with how the dragon come out and took lots of pictures:

I'm going to do my best next time to rein in the base a bit, but I'm super happy with how this came out.
    • By GodOfCheese
      Awesome random encounter, paraphrased:

DM describes a green, toad-like beastie.  It--
      Me: "Is that a GREEN SLAAD?"
      DM: "Well, roll a Knowledge: the Planes..."
      Me: "No, no, I mean does it look like THIS?" [reveals recently-painted Green Slaad]
      The Rogue: "Isn't this like a miniature painter's dream?  Having just the right mini for a completely random encounter?"
      Me: HUGE HAPPY SMILE.

• By GodOfCheese
      I'm painting a mini with a light source, and decided to rebase the beastie with some water effects, probably epoxy resin.  I'll probably try to make the water at least slightly rough, creating interest for the eye.  I woke up in a cold sweat this morning realizing that the light source should be reflected (or possibly just highlighted) in/on the water. 

My initial thought was to:
      lightly (heh) color the bottom of the pool as if it were dry and lit by the light source pour and texture the water highlight the water by drybrushing from the light source out.  
      My concern about this is that if the viewer looks toward the light, the surfaces of any wavelets will be highlighted on the opposite side from the POV.  In other words, the viewer will see the undersides or backsides of any highlights through the translucent wavelets, and this might not look the way the viewer expects.

Has anyone done this?  I looked around for a few examples but although there are plenty of doing wave effects (froth and foam), I haven't found any yet that look like translucent glare.  
    • By Glitterwolf
      This is a great realistic sculpt of a Komodo Dragon, sculpted by our own @TaleSpinner.
      I included it in my Lost World Project WIP here:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/&page=150&tab=comments#comment-1836397

I used UV Resin Gel from Greenstuffworld to create the water ( my first try for deeper and clear water), made the base with Vallejo Desert Sand Paste, Cork and some milliput.
      Added some fish and seacucumbers/seaweed from Procreate and Milliput, one fish is from Mastercrafted Miniatures and the other two were made with the UV Gel and a Tinyworld Mold.

The Komodo Dragon is an awesome sculpt, it paints itself!
      I looked at reference pics of the real thing.

Enjoy.

• Who's Online   13 Members, 2 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)