Painting Excuses and Halloween Contest Post Mortum

MonkeySloth

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ETA: Themes can also follow Reaper lines (DHL, Chronoscape, Savage Worlds). I'd also like to see a 54mm contest, but those figs tend to be a bit expensive....

I am 100% interested in a 54mm contest. Also, what does ETA mean when you use it like that?

1) Single Model themed -- Something you all can decide on, I think this one will be popular once the Bones ship but we can try it out sooner.

2) Single Model Themed base -- Winter Wonderland

3) Single Model Open (ie anything that doesn't fit into the above two)

Looks great! I’m ready to get started!

A 54mm contest would be cool. Those don't get painted often enough but I think most of us have at least one squirreled away, or have one on a wish list. And a contest would be a good excuse to get it painted. :)

You're not going to please everyone with one single theme or category. Just go with a few broad ideas and if people don't like it they can wait for the next one.

"Winter Wonderland" is a fine theme. Reaper's had great turnout with this in the past.

2006: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24296-reaper-winter-wonderland-painting-contest/

2008: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34585-winter-08-painting-contest/

remember that Reaper is generously offering the prizes

Ahhhh. That makes a lot more sense.

To be honest I hadnt even properly realised there were prizes (beyond the recognition of your peers). I mentally skipped over that part because I was more interested in the rules, theme, and the work people were doing/planning.

The 3 categories you posted seem good. But even if that didnt work out, personally I wouldnt mind just having any less popular sections just being a non-prize category. (Although I also dont mean to volunteer any judges for extra work if thats an issue, either)

This sounds fun! I'm not sure I'm understanding the category aspects, the basic theme is winter wonderland, and then we are choosing a specific figure? Or taking the theme and interpreting it but with different sizes? I think I have a 54mm ninja mini somewhere... I'll have to dig a bit.

:ph34r:::):

This sounds fun! I'm not sure I'm understanding the category aspects, the basic theme is winter wonderland, and then we are choosing a specific figure? Or taking the theme and interpreting it but with different sizes? I think I have a 54mm ninja mini somewhere... I'll have to dig a bit.

:ph34r:::):

I don't think the 54mm category is getting added this time.

Breaking up the contest into different categories helps to keep this fair. Larger models can easily overshadow smaller ones just by size alone. Think of it like weight classes in boxing... ^_^

Yes so what I'm thinking is there are 4 contests a year, inclduing the halloween one, and I'll break them down thusly:

Winter (5 weeks):

Scenic base

Theme\category single figure

Open figure

Spring (6 weeks):

Diorama

Open figure

Summer (5 weeks):

Freaking Huge

Open figure

Haloween (6 weeks)

Diorama

Scenic Base

Open figure

As I've stated before I can do more categories then just 3 as long as there's enough interest. If I can get at least 5-6 people for a freaking huge before the summer I can add it in elsewhere.

• Like 1