Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

65094: Torin, Thief

Painted this guy up over the last couple nights.

This is my first ever major weapons modification using green stuff. I have attached the original sculpt picture from the Reaper Store. This guy just begged to be a duelist in my opinion, and thus a duelist was born. I tried to use a color palette that was both duelist flashy, but still retained some of that rogue, "I can hide and sneak real good like".

I used green stuff to make the terrain of the base as well, and that in turn is resting on a square wooden base.

C&C always welcome from any level of painter alike!

post-7416-0-97568000-1353091877.jpg

post-7416-0-38274100-1353091881.jpg

post-7416-0-55743200-1353091883.jpg

post-7416-0-78573100-1353091886.jpg

post-7416-0-37022100-1353091889.jpg

• Like 10

I like him, you did a good job with the mod and the cloak and colors are great.

my only complaint, knowing that this is a quick paint up, is that the base is too clean--especially the white which looks too much like modern caulk to me.

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe a quick dark wash in the grout lines.

Otherwise a really nice job, nice balance with the blues and the orangish browns.

• Like 1

Nicely done.

The sword came out nice. He certainly still looks the rogue. His clothing, cloak included, is very well done.

I agree with MonkeySloth, unless the streets run with whole milk, it's a bit stark. :blink:

Did you clear the broccoli base completely or sculpt it into the new base?

• Like 1

I really like the painting of the cloak you have done subtal but still very diffined. Also nice color choices, works really well together.

Flail

• Like 2

love the sword! maybe some mossy growth on the base in those grouty areas. great color scheme! Much better than the "man in black"

• Like 1

I like the sculpting of the sword blade.

The hand guard looks a little rough, more like fabric than steel. Though as a gaming mini it's fine.

The cloak is wonderfully blended and the rest of the clothing looks good as well.

The one thing I don't like is the NMM. It just doesn't look anything like a large chunk of steel to me. The highlight is too large and similarly that shadow for being so black is too large. I've held blades that large and that's just not normal. (This is why I struggle so much with NMM and keep passing on it getting it too look right just never seems to happen & though metallics don't look right either they are less wrong than anything I seem to do with NMM.)

• Like 1

You've all convinced me to go back and dirty up the base/grout with a wash. I also like Corporea's idea about adding some moss to the grout lines to age it up a bit so I'm going to do that as well.

I also like your choice of color, I particularly like the smooth blending on the cloak. The base look very good too, it gives off a good medieval atmosphere.

• Like 1

Ah but he is a Duelist. He's fighting a duel in some wealthy estate where the lord of the manor has chamber maids on thier hands and knees scrubbing to keep the grout white; since the dwarves that placed is gaurenteed it would last as long as it was scrubbed daily. :B):

• Like 1

Thanks! I learned a lot considering this was my first true weapons modification. There were some definite sculpting flaws I had to work around even after filing the thing and working to get it as well prepped as possible. I love to tinker and try things so hopefully it's even better next time!