Somthing new in the material or flawed molds?

flaill

This is a question for the reaper peeps.For a while now i have been noticing alot of surface irregularities on your minis.

I know pitting is due to the coolong process but is there any way of dealing with it better.i have been getting an ton of minis with wayyyy more pitting then say 5 years ago.

I really do hope you at reaper can up your QC on this problem as i have been noticing alot more of this on my and other miniatures from reaper at the local gamming club.This has acctually started alot of debate as of late.

Another thing, it seems that alot of minis are what seems to be tearing from the moulds as some pieces the alloy seems to stretch out as if it was trying to cling to the mold as it was being released.

Now my reapers from around 5 + years ago have nill issues like this and besides mold lines are flawless castings? Has somthing changed at reaper HQ,

Just wondering and NO i am not flamming or trolling i am was just wondering and hoping to get some info on this :mellow: .

Thanks for listening

Flail

• Like 1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the pitting that you are noticing is from the metal, and some from cooling. I thought this was a QC thing too but I went back to some older figures (7+years old) and have seen it there. You're just noticing more now. If you want super smooth figures you will need to either polish them or apply self leveling primers like Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.

Heisler i know this is not just on reaper figs but since i love reapers minis so much i was just wondering. like i said as i did not notice this nearly as much on my older reaper figs.All miniature companies have these issues some more then other.

You are right Inarah reaper are amazing at replacement along with other issues anyone might have, a deffenite hats of to them.

I GS slush and polish and whatever needs to be done.This post is not aimed at insulting reaper in anyway i am just curiouse is all. I guess im am just getting lazier with age ::(: lol.

sorry if anyone was offended that was not my intensions.

Thanks all for the replies

Flaill

I've noticed the second issue, but never though much of it as its trivial to clean off, but not the pitting. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a pitted miniature in person.

I have a few Reapers with pits, but all of them on the shield. Actually, for a long time I thought they were supposed to be that way - battleworn. By the time I'd discovered they weren't, the idea of battleworn had grown on me so in the end it actually became an enhancement.

• Artists

I've had miniatures with pitting from a variety of manufacturers. Where I notice it most is on thick figures (with large skirts or cloaks usually). Is it possible the more recent minis you've bought have been bigger hunks of metal and that could be the difference?

An easy, quick fix for moderate pitting is a few coats of Reaper's brush-on sealer. You can apply it over paint, so if you don't notice the problem until well after prep it's no problem to fix. Just do a few coats, then another coat of your base coat colour. I don't even bother to get too crazy trying to sand it off or whatever anymore, it's just so much easier to fix this way.

Wren lol thats so cool and it works GREAT ^_^ thank you for saving me many unwanted hours of prep work :;): .I was also told by a friend today he applies a very small amount of super glue glue with a tooth pick and after its applies he says blow hard on it and spreds the glue so thin at the edges of it that you will never be able to tell that there is any at all, and the smothness is like glass.

Thanks again for the heads up Wren :blush: .

Flaill

• Artists

I've used superglue on stuff like pinholes and deeper things like that. A small dab, leave it 10 minutes or so, then sand it down. I'm not sure I'm adept enough to use your friend's technique, but it sounds like a pretty cool trick!