Reaper Con Here we come

chaosscorpion

You'd be surprised at the camaraderie feeling you get with the ride from BW to Reaper to BW the days of the Con. I highly recommend it.

That said, asked for my 2013 vacations (have 2 1/2 weeks still thus heck might as well put in the times, ReaperCon in April, family Oregon Coast vacation in June & then a couple days off next month) so all that is left is to purchase plane tickets & I'll be set. Well other then actual RCon tickets ^_^

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year all! ReaperCon is only 3 months away!

Lue.

Holy *****! Time to get painting!

No it isn't!! On wait, it's me that paints the month of RCon............ :blink:

What? You mean I can't paint everything on the 9-hour road trip while my wife drives? Dang... Guess I should get started.

Hmm. Sounds like we should bring the third seat for the van. I wonder if all our crap'll fit with it....

Really, double check and be sure that what you are bringing is really going to get used. While its great to have everything but the kitchen sink at hand do you really need to drag it with you? You don't need to bring Reaper paint, as Reaper will put out a rack of paint that people can use. You certainly do need your own brushes and maybe sculpting tools if you are into that side of things. Unless you are really going to work on a diorama base all weekend, you probably don't need all the landscaping material you normally use for basing. Odds are someone local has it already and will be happy to share. Don't bring miniatures you only think you are going to work on. Once you get there you are likely to be to busy with other things and probably will only work on 2 or 3 miniatures anyway and if you need more you will be in a location that has easy access to Reaper Miniatures (its odd how that works out). If you are thinking about bringing a board game (especially a long one) think twice about it, you will probably be to busy or to tired to drag it out.

The only things I bring are clothes, my competition entries, any non-reaper paints that I need for touch up (and I keep that to a minimum) and my brushes. If I was going to actual playing in one of the Warlord tournaments I would bring my army (and only one army).

• Like 2

Hmm. Sounds like we should bring the third seat for the van. I wonder if all our crap'll fit with it....

Really, double check and be sure that what you are bringing is really going to get used. While its great to have everything but the kitchen sink at hand do you really need to drag it with you? You don't need to bring Reaper paint, as Reaper will put out a rack of paint that people can use. You certainly do need your own brushes and maybe sculpting tools if you are into that side of things. Unless you are really going to work on a diorama base all weekend, you probably don't need all the landscaping material you normally use for basing. Odds are someone local has it already and will be happy to share. Don't bring miniatures you only think you are going to work on. Once you get there you are likely to be to busy with other things and probably will only work on 2 or 3 miniatures anyway and if you need more you will be in a location that has easy access to Reaper Miniatures (its odd how that works out). If you are thinking about bringing a board game (especially a long one) think twice about it, you will probably be to busy or to tired to drag it out.

The only things I bring are clothes, my competition entries, any non-reaper paints that I need for touch up (and I keep that to a minimum) and my brushes. If I was going to actual playing in one of the Warlord tournaments I would bring my army (and only one army).

THIS. First timers tend to WAY overpack.

Here is a couple questions for you RC veterans:

I love the theme thing and welcome any excuse to get into any kind of costume... but is it going to be worth checking an additional bag to bring a costume? What is the heat going to be like in April? How will being dressed up limit our con expirence? (example: i can tell you right off that you won't catch me anywhere near a paint table in any of my costume stuff) I just want to have an idea of what I'm getting myself into so I can plan for maximum participation w/ maximum comfort.

How does a typical day flow at ReaperCon for one of us minions?

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

Here is a couple questions for you RC veterans:

I love the theme thing and welcome any excuse to get into any kind of costume... but is it going to be worth checking an additional bag to bring a costume? What is the heat going to be like in April? How will being dressed up limit our con expirence? (example: i can tell you right off that you won't catch me anywhere near a paint table in any of my costume stuff) I just want to have an idea of what I'm getting myself into so I can plan for maximum participation w/ maximum comfort.

How does a typical day flow at ReaperCon for one of us minions?

Hard question to answer. I don't think there is a typical day at ReaperCon. Last year was the second organized costume year, although there have always been people in costume.

I think the best way to describe ReaperCon is through pictures. I took a lot of pictures at the show last year, here are my blog posts with the pictures from Reaper Con 2012:

Wednesday - http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/reapercon-wednesday-day-0.html

Thursday - http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/reapercon-thursday-day-two.html

Friday - http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/reapercon-friday-day-two.html

Saturday - http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/reapercon-saturday-day-three.html

Sunday - http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/reapercon-sunday-day-4.html

Monday - http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/reapercon-back-to-work-day-after.html

Looking through the photos you can see some of the other vendors that were there as well.

Edited by Heisler

Really, double check and be sure that what you are bringing is really going to get used.

Are minis and paints provided for people taking classes? I definitely want to take classes and probably practice a bit in between them. Minis are obviously going to be easy to acquire, but are there really just tables with paint racks that we can use?

Really, double check and be sure that what you are bringing is really going to get used.

Are minis and paints provided for people taking classes? I definitely want to take classes and probably practice a bit in between them. Minis are obviously going to be easy to acquire, but are there really just tables with paint racks that we can use?

If its a hands on session minis are usually provided although you can still bring your own minis to class (and you should bring a few finished miniatures to a class to show the instructor) and work on them if you want.

There is nothing like a paint rack per table but last year a couple of racks were rolled out for easy access. Paints in the classrooms tend to be much more limited so for classes its generally easier if you bring your own paint, definitely bring your own brushes. I found that for classes I tended to take more notes about painting than actually painting. But I haven't taken a class in years now.

(Not that I wouldn't benefit from a class or two, I'm just to busy running other things to work a class in)

Edited by Heisler

There really is a rack of paint people can use. Bring your own brushes.

Sculpting classes provide green stuff and tools but you are welcome to bring your own. For paint classes there is usually a rack of paint back in the classrooms and if the teacher is doing a technique like "how to paint reds" they will bring the colors they will use in class and pass it around so you can sample it.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there is extremely limited space for all your stuff. And as more people show up every year, the space gets even more crowded. There's no lockers or bag valet. If you dump an army transport, a paint case, a laptop bag and your Reaper tote bag on a table you're taking up space where two people can sit, plus your own seat.

And as parking becomes more of an issue you're going to be lugging all that back and forth across a long parking lot to your car, and yes it is uphill.

Temps in Texas that time of year can range from a wet and rainy 50F to a warm and toasty 80+F. The facility can get chilly when the AC is on, some of the smaller rooms can get warm and sweaty if there's a lot of people in them. Best be prepared with layers for the full span of temps.

As for costume, lack of one shouldn't spoil your enjoyment if it is a burden to bring it or you don't want to risk your finery. Once classes come out you can look at your schedule and decide if there is maybe one day where you won't be in a paint class where and will be comfortable just playing games and hanging out in costume.

• Like 1

and yes it is uphill.

Both ways!! In the snow!!

Seriously April is usually a bit rainy but its one of the nicest times of the year in Texas. It seemed like most people only came in costume one day last year. Both Friday and Saturday were good for the costumes, but I think Saturday won out.

Classes will provide most everything you might want except brushes. I also suggest bringing your own pallet if you are picky about mixing and such. A small backpack is just about all you will want to carry with you. I usually empty out what ever swag I want on my person and stash the reaper bag in the car. BTW if you don't have one, those reaper bags sure do come in handy!

People come and go from the convention at all times for lunch and such, but keep in mind if you leave and forgo Sonic Mike and his tasty treats, you WILL lose your parking spot.

• Like 1