Sign in to follow this  
Maglok

14094: Tariq, Nefsokar Sergeant

My girlfriend just started running the new Shattered Star adventure path for Pathfinder. I decided on playing a paladin from Qadira (basically india). I looked around and found this awesome mini, Tariq, Nefsokar Sergeant (so awesome in fact that I used the name Tariq).

The original paintscheme on the site did pretty well for my needs, but I change it a bit. I particularly didn't like the fact that the helm had the same color as his skin, so I changed that. I also made the base more pronounced desert. I tried to put in some free hand work, but it didn't look like it belonged really.

The part of him I am most happy with is his face. My first darker skintone really. The thing I am least happy with is the armor, but to take it to the next level I would really need to learn non-metallic.

8204767694_beaceba8b2.jpg8203677175_138e84f3ab.jpg

• Like 8

Great-looking mini; you have every reason to be proud of his face! I also really like the coherent nature of the mini; color choices look good, his costume looks like it matches the base, and so forth. Nicely done.

As for the armor, NMM isn't the only possible "next level." Most of my metallics anymore are a watered-down version of Semi-metallic Metals (or Demi-metallics?), which is basically using metallic paint, then adjusting the reflectivity of it with translucent washes. Jabberwocky did a nice tutorial thread here, which turned me on to the technique. I really like it a bunch, because it photographs nicely compared to just metallic paint, but it looks nicer in the hand (IMO) than NMM usually does. I also like it because it's a pretty simple method once you grasp the main concept of it.

Thanks all!

Great-looking mini; you have every reason to be proud of his face! I also really like the coherent nature of the mini; color choices look good, his costume looks like it matches the base, and so forth. Nicely done.

As for the armor, NMM isn't the only possible "next level." Most of my metallics anymore are a watered-down version of Semi-metallic Metals (or Demi-metallics?), which is basically using metallic paint, then adjusting the reflectivity of it with translucent washes. Jabberwocky did a nice tutorial thread here, which turned me on to the technique. I really like it a bunch, because it photographs nicely compared to just metallic paint, but it looks nicer in the hand (IMO) than NMM usually does. I also like it because it's a pretty simple method once you grasp the main concept of it.

That is a very awesome link, thanks! At the moment it is mostly bronze, wash, then subdued gold highlights. I will be trying this on the blades of two yuan-ti I am working on.

I love the skin tone. What was your recipe, please?

Hmm lets see. I am pretty sure it was a red/dark brown (Hull red model color), which was higlighted up a bit. Then I also used german cam. medium brown from model color, which is more actual brown. I used a wash, lighter then you might think, inbetween. It was really just a lot of figgling to get it to look that color. The scar is the Hull red without any changes to it.

Beautiful work! I really like this piece. The only thing I might suggest is to perhaps increase the contrast of the highlights on the red fringed tunic.

I did notice that, but then... it sort of becomes pink. I have not really mastered creating highlights with greys. I always mix them up with whites.

Glad you like the DMMetals link. It's a cool technique.

Beautiful work! I really like this piece. The only thing I might suggest is to perhaps increase the contrast of the highlights on the red fringed tunic.

I did notice that, but then... it sort of becomes pink. I have not really mastered creating highlights with greys. I always mix them up with whites.

Highlighting red is always a pain! (But I love painting red! Go figure...)

The major thing that would help the red cloth here is actually to go darker in the shadows. Keep in mind that highlights and shadows aren't just about getting brighter or darker, but about contrast. You might be able to leave your highlights right where they are on this mini, but achieve greater contrast by putting a dark brown (I love RMS' Walnut Brown for this) into the deepest part of each fold (likely right under the brightest highlight).

Often I like to take red up into yellow to avoid the pink problem, but this mini has a lot of purple in its reds, so yellow would work less well.

• Like 1

What Sanael said!

Another great way to increase the contrast is to shade with dark green or dark blue. This might seem counter-intuitive, but it produces a great effect because they are complementary colours, opposite red on the colour wheel.

Adding yellow to the mix for highlighting is a great way to get a very bright red without turning it pink, and I often do this, but when want a more subdued highlight, I add Reaper Orange Brown (09021) instead. Fireball Orange (29806) works well, too, and is makes a slightly brighter highlight. Of course Phoenix Red makes a good highlight for red all by itself.

I love painting with red, and its fun to experiment with different shades and highlights. After painting a Warhammer Dwarf army in a red and gold colour scheme, I've gotten lots of practice.

A small suggestion from an inferior painter: to bring those metals up a bit, add a little tiny bit of "it is the edge but also the highest and hottest spot on said edge" highlighting with a tiny bit of Vallejo Metallic Medium. It will add bling but also slightly wash out the gold, making the armour reflection harder and making the armour appear more.... I dunno. Steely? Hard? Not to be effed with?

And this is probably in the link, but use a translucent brown shade to add shadows where shadows would actually fall. Bits that are out of the sunlight should not noticeably reflect light. Also, use the same to darkline the armour (the two concepts overlap some, but not totally).

There might just be too much warm, soft gold?

I see the original Tariq has the gold/bronze blade, the super washed out highlights help make it a bit less soft. You can do that with metallics!

I think the color choices are very harmonious it's a good start. Breaking up the sword blade with another shade of metalic would go a long way for visual interest I think. Since the armor is also the same metallic color.

• Like 1