Fanguad's Finished Minis

fanguad

These are miniatures I've finished over the last few months (I started painting in March). I'd love to hear feedback on them. I'll post more as separate posts.

First up is the wolf from 03499: Animal Companions 2: Wolf, Cat, Spider

The miniature is for one of my players whose character is a PFRPG summoner. He described his eidolon as being vaguely dog-like and made out of color. When I asked which colors, he said "yes."

I didn't have a purple so I tried to mix a bright purple out of bright red and bright blue, but I don't think it came out very well.

post-8582-0-56793100-1353514419_thumb.jpg

post-8582-0-60604900-1353514425_thumb.jpg

post-8582-0-66964600-1353514432.jpg

• Like 14

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice colour transition on the wolf! Very imaginative.

If you're receptive to critique, I have a couple of suggestions that will really punch up your bard:

1) Try dark-lining to emphasize the transition between different areas of the miniature, such as where the hand grips the bow, the shirt sleeves meet the bracers, the pouch meets the tunic, etc. This will neaten up the boundary and delineate the transition with shadow and create a much more striking and eye-catching effect. Reaper sells a triad of liners, but you can water down any dark paint, such as brown or grey, to line with.

2) Your eyes look good, but they will be even more striking if you first block the eye area out in black, then paint the white over top of this making sure to leave a line of black all around the eye, then finish off with the pupil.

You might also want try shading the shirt with some light grey to emphasize the folds in the fabric.

If you're receptive to critique, I have a couple of suggestions that will really punch up your bard:

I definitely receptive to critiques, and thank you for the suggestions.

Re 1) what's the difference between a liner and a wash? I've tried doing "selective washes" just at the edges of things, but the nearby paint got stained by the wash color. Is it just that I need more brush control in that situation, or do I need to do something different with my paints?

Re 2) I heard that male and female eyes should be done differently, and I guess I thought they were referring to that technique of getting a dark ring around the eye. Is it a smaller ring for males, or am I completely off-base?

1) Liner is paint that's thinned down enough so that you can paint a thin line on the miniature. It works much better for delineating boundaries than a wash. Just paint a thin, dark line wherever two physical subjects or colours meet to distinctly separate them. This will also neaten up the edge where two colours meet. If you look closely you can see a very small amount of flesh paint on the bow at the boundary with the hand. If you paint a thin dark brown line at this juncture it will create a natural shadow and eliminate those inevitable rough edges.

The Reaper liners are very nice, but not necessary. I usually use Brown Liner, but Walnut Brown makes a good brown liner, too. You can line with black paint as well, but that can be a bit too bold sometimes.

2) I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about the size of the ring. The thicker the ring the more 'sunken' the eyes will look so it depends what you are trying to achieve. Regardless, a black ring will do a lot to accentuate the eyes and make them stand out.

• Like 1

inspired by badocter's minis from Wrath of Ashardalon, here are some from that set that I've finished:

The Otyugh was lots of fun to paint: gross monster who naturally looks like he's sloppily painted? sign me up, my natural [lack of] talent has a chance to shine! I learned how not to do washes on this guy - I gave him a yellow base and did a very thick wash with thinned green paint, but all the green pigment left the cracks. The end effect is kinda neat, but not what I intended.

DSC01622.JPGDSC01625.JPG

Mr. Ashardalon is the biggest mini I've ever painted. I think he came out okay. I tried to do black lining with a Micron pen. It gave a nice solid line of constant thickness, but screwups weren't easily erased. I did the rocks with a reverse highlight. Oops.

Ashardalon-1.JPGAshardalon-2.JPG

I like my orcs green, so I painted the archers, berserkers and their boss (no picture yet) that color.

Orc-Archers.JPG

Orc-Berserkers.JPG

Suggestion for how I can do better on the next batch are very welcome!

• Like 11

I didn't have a purple so I tried to mix a bright purple out of bright red and bright blue, but I don't think it came out very well.

See how the red worked into the orange better than into the blue? It's a warm red, meaning it's got more yellow in it. So when you put a blue into it, you get green which will muddy up red. If you use a cooler red, more of a magenta which has some blue in it, you'll get a better purple.

At least that's the theory. I'm still learning, so any experts feel free to correct me on that.

As I look over the minis more I notice the shadows are limited.

I'm guessing you are using drybrushing and a little bit of just painting the highlight on directly but no washes.

The Otyugh is a perfect mini to learn to do washes on because being messy is fine. Take a look at your pictures above notice how all your creases are bright? Those are the areas that should be dark. Miniatures need to be concieved like you are looking at a person across the a running track if you are as far apart as possible on it. Brighter highlights, deeper shadows.

There are tricks though, don't just wash with black to make shadows, on many colours this will look wrong. You need to make darker versions of the colour you are using in general. This is one of those experience things.

For the Otyugh grab the colour you used as the base for the orc archer's hair. Put a drop or a brush full of it in a well on your pallet and then start adding brushes of water. It will take 3 or 4 brushes of water to get the right consistency. Test on any irregular surface, the paint should flow away from the high points and into the recesses easily, it will leave a little pigment behind but not much. If it doesn't flow easily add more water.

Once it looks right apply to the feet of your Otyugh. Dip the tip of your brush in and collect some paint then paint onto the mini. What you should see is all the texture in the feet pop as the creases fill with the brown but the highlights stay basically the same. You can really load the brush up if you want and just splash large amounts of wash on, this is essentially how "dipping" works. Once you are happy with the feet go over the whole Otyugh with the same method.

Orcs -wash all the browns with black, wash the greens with purple ideally but black as you don't have purple is fine.

Ashardalon - wash reds & greys with black. His horns and chest plates need a highlight; mix a little bit of white into the colour you used and then paint the 1/3 of the scale/horn closest to the edge/point with that, then bring it up to 50:50 white base color and pick out just the very edge/point with that (same with the claws).

My Ravenloft minis (posted here somewhere) were largely painted; base coat, wash black, retouch highlights. You can see the same thing in my November Painting thread for the most recent additions. The lizardman also shows the idea with the chest plates.

See how the red worked into the orange better than into the blue?

It's a good theory, but the truth is a little more straightforward - I had a nice bright orange. I used Brilliant Red, Fireball Orange, Golden Yellow, Mossy Green, Dragon Blue, [purple], Brilliant Red (All HD colors). For purple, I used Ice Blue + Entrail Pink, but it came out pretty muted.

As I look over the minis more I notice the shadows are limited.

I've got a lot of bright lights shining directly on my minis, so I think the shadows got washed out a bit. I have been using washes, so they look a bit darker in real life. Your point about highlights is well taken, and I probably just need to increase the depth of both my shadows and my highlights.

FYI for arachnophobes: I'm going to put pictures of spiders in the next post.

Here are some more from my Wrath of Ashardalon Set.

Heroes: Elf Paladin, Dwarf Fighter, Human Cleric.

I went way too heavy on the wash for the paladin, but the mini was really crappy so I didn't care too much. The dwarf mini is actually really detailed and was fun to paint; she could use some more contrast on her armor, though. The picture isn't that great, but neither are the minis.

DSC01637.JPG

DSC01638.JPG

Here are some duergar I finished up this evening.

I used these fellows as practice for 2BB. I used it on their shields, cloaks and heads. I still have a long way to go, but that technique isn't nearly as scary as I thought.

DSC02171.JPG

DSC02173.JPG

• Like 7

Here's the spider from 03499: Animal Companions 2: Wolf, Cat, Spider

Not a whole lot special about painting this guy, but this is my most complex base so far, with two types of materials. Woodland Brown paint, then medium brown ballast and used tea leaves. I'm not sure how well the leaves will stay down - I painted with 1/4 Elmer's glue, then sprayed them with a similar mixture, but several fell off with the slightest touch. After I attached the mini (with superglue), I used undiluted Elmer's to fill in the empty areas, as well as underneath the spider (it looked too hollow below him). I purposely used similar colors to the spider - they have camoflage for a reason.

post-8582-0-08962400-1354246265.jpg

post-8582-0-03588300-1354246269.jpg

post-8582-0-03740500-1354246274.jpg

• Like 9