Sign in to follow this  
Darkstar

Reeve the Pious

Reeve-the-Pious.jpg

Reeve the Pious is one serious chunk of metal. I mean you can really feel the heft of this piece when you hold him. I wanted to give him a detailed cloak to really set him off as a high ranking Paladin or holy warrior of sorts and to give the otherwise plain hooded figure some interest instead of flat shading all the folds in the cloth. Probably spent too much time detailing the piece but once I get started I have to see it through to completion so that I can at least have the satisfaction of seeing "in the round" what I envisioned with my mind's eye before painting. If that makes any sense.

The sword is blended well but doesn't really sell the effect of NMM, maybe the gold is ok but the steel reads more like stone. Oh well, all in all the piece is balanced and stoic looking enough even with the over the top freehand.

• Like 20

It's amazing to see such a level of awesomeness. I like the templar design on the cloak and the subtle shading on his hood. The gold is magnificent and the face is life like.

Thanks for sharing that glance at perfection.

Dear lord, that free hand is FANTASTIC! I would go on about breaking brushes and gnashing teeth but realistically this inspires me to practice my freehand more. What I like about it is that even though you consider it over the top, due to fact that it is muted and you shaded it so wonderfully, it reads as elegant as opposed to ostentatious. Well done.

• Like 2

Wow, that is one of the most amazing cloaks I've ever seen! Outstanding.

I see what you mean about the sword. The hilt is great, but the blade doesn't look as much like steel as you'd probably like. But that's a small nit to pick on such an amazing miniature.

I'm in awe of your freehand. Would you share the technique? Is there a tutorial somewhere? Ever consider teaching a class at Reapercon?

Dear lord, that free hand is FANTASTIC! I would go on about breaking brushes and gnashing teeth but realistically this inspires me to practice my freehand more. What I like about it is that even though you consider it over the top, due to fact that it is muted and you shaded it so wonderfully, it reads as elegant as opposed to ostentatious. Well done.

yup.

Nice work on the NMM, although the steel NMM colors are a little too close to the colors of the cloak, so that they don't stand out as truly "shiny". The face is a little too pink, I think, but the freehand! Oh, my stars! The freehand is absolutely amazing! That alone makes this miniature a winner, if you ask me!

Hey all thank you for your comments and insights on what you like and what could be better, I always am keen to hear such things and I appreciate it. The one goal is to always learn and get better no matter what. Thanks for taking the time to comment here.

@Inarah: I was going to do a freehand tutorial last year but I moved from the place I'd been living in for 10 years to a new house and the dust has basically just now settled from that, took all our time to get everything going here in this new life ya know. It's still on my agenda, that and my blog, once I get past this next holiday season here with Christmas coming up I get really busy painting gifts so I won't have any time for net stuff really. But at the new year is when I plan to FINALLY get the ball rolling with something like a tutorial/demo of how I do a freehand pattern. I've had a folder on file here on my drive since last year with some base images I was preparing for this when life took a sudden left turn. It'll happen though. Next year I plan to be very active on the mini painting scene, coming back with more and better than ever.

• Like 2