Exchange from Argentee (Autumn 2012)(60031: Queen Ileosa of Korvosa)

Tranquil Ape

I came home today to find this in my mailbox!! Happy days!! Thanks Argentee!!

Argentee is new to painting minis as am I so I'll endeavor to provide some useful feedback as I know that I really enjoy it when folks critique my work.

post-7704-0-44766500-1353978006_thumb.jpg

Upon unwrapping it, the first thing that struck me were the eyes... I still fail to see how people are able to get eyes down onto such small faces without mushing up everything...

The detail work on the fan, feathers and bodice shows a good measure of brush control as does the freehand work on the dress and fan..

A couple things that stick out in my mind are:

It looks like there was a lot of wash used to achieve the shading in the lower part of the dress and I think overall it takes away from some of the highlights. I think i may be a few minis ahead of you and what i started doing was to try to stay away from washes and achieve highlighting and shading in a more 'painterly' fashion. Don't get me wrong, this mini will fit in fantastically on my game table without question.

I might have chosen to paint her hands as flesh tones or some other color to lend some visual appeal. The red on red tends to mute itself I think.

As I mentioned the freehand on the fan and lower dress looks great. I've recently started attempting things like this as well.

The base. I think the mini could have benefited from a fresh coat of black and maybe a gloss coat on the base to give her a regal or formal look. And this isn't a critique on your work, just something I do, but i like to fill the entire base bottom (if open) with green stuff and then sand flush and paint... i find it adds a tiny bit of wait and provides a nice finished look.

I apologize for my photo skills...(i think I'm just going to hire someone to take mini pics for me, they never seem to come out as nice as some others i've seen.

• Like 8

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I used sponge painting to do a marbling effect on the base. Looking at it, I really should have coated it with a shiny sealer to make it look polished. I went red-black after going to the Pathfinder wiki and finding out those were the royal house's colors in the kingdom of Korvosa. I actually did paint the shadows rather than doing a wash, but had real trouble with getting the shading of red-on-red right.

This is only my third mini, and my first attempt at doing any freehand.

• Like 7

Niiice. The improvement in the new peoples is quite rapid. I actually forget who's new and who's not lately, and I expect within another 6 months it'll be real tough to discern the difference.

That's a credit to this board, I think. I don't know if there's a friendlier mini forum around.

She's purty, Argentee.

• Like 6

Lovely work, Argentee! Reds are always tricky, and these look very nice. And congrats on that freehand; it was years before I tried anything like that line at her hem, much less the calligraphy on the fan!

Keep in mind that reds like to be shaded with color other than red; a warm brown will often do the trick, but for deeper reds, a dark green works brilliantly.

Damn Argentee, you've got some mad skills already on just your third paintjob. A year from now you'll be giving me advice.

As for shading red, a thinned out dark brown works very nicely. Or, you could just mix the shade of red you're using with it's complimentary color (something like leaf green would probably work) and you'll make a shade of brown which pulls directly from the red you have; adding the complimentary into the mix will enhance the red of her dress.

• Like 3

Damn Argentee, you've got some mad skills already on just your third paintjob. A year from now you'll be giving me advice.

As for shading red, a thinned out dark brown works very nicely. Or, you could just mix the shade of red you're using with it's complimentary color (something like leaf green would probably work) and you'll make a shade of brown which pulls directly from the red you have; adding the complimentary into the mix will enhance the red of her dress.

This weird witchcraft actually works. I didn't believe it, but it's true.

Lovely work, Argentee! Reds are always tricky, and these look very nice. And congrats on that freehand; it was years before I tried anything like that line at her hem, much less the calligraphy on the fan!

Keep in mind that reds like to be shaded with color other than red; a warm brown will often do the trick, but for deeper reds, a dark green works brilliantly.

I've seen red shaded with green, and I mean GREEN. And it just didn't do anything for me. I think the association with Christmas throws me off. Though I'd kill for my faces to look that good.

I tried shading with black, and had to redo THAT fiasco. Next time I will give brown a try! Even if I need to mix my own with green.

Not being able to post and ask for help is the hardest part of doing an exchange/gift mini.

• Like 1

If you want a fast and easy shader for use with red, maybe try 9001 Red Brick. If it's anything close to the aged red brick I'm using from old pro paint, it should work well - possibly even straight from the bottle. I was mixing my red shades for ages, then discovered that ARB was pretty much identical to what I was mixing.

Awesome! Fantastic work, Argentee! Her eyes are amazing too, so maybe you're getting passed your eye hatred? Either way, bravo ::D:

Nope! Still hate eyes! I just line up five or so figures to do the eyes on at once. That way when I mess up and have to go back a step or three, I've still got 'progress' on another mini to cheer me up. Also repetition seems to help.
  • Like 1