Sign in to follow this  
Sarah Devier

Pathfinder MMO

I backed the tech demo & I'll probably back this one.

Probably at the 35 dollar level. I wouldn't mind getting in on the betas but not sure if I wanna spend 50.

RM

wth. A 2016 delivery date for the final? And a $1million goal? I don't think that will attract as many people as they're hoping. I could be wrong, but with a 4 year delivery time, I won't even bother looking at it. I have no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing four years from now. Wow....

My primary problem is that I know I'd completely forget about the whole thing, beta play or not. I'm also partial to keeping my D&D (Pathfinder) as a standard RPG. An MMO of the same thing doesn't appeal to me near as much.anywhere If I lived in an area where I could not play regularly, then, yes, I'd be far more interested. Also, receiving the beta copy means I have to back at $100. While the game sounds cool, dropping that for a game two or four years away also diminishes its appeal even more.

Sure, it will cost more in the future, but I'm fine with that. It's simply a bit too much future casting than I'm willing to participate in, especially with an economy that is constantly on borderline failure.

Just look at at Diablo 3 & Guild Wars 2. How long did it take for those to come out. First I heard that D3 was coming was the last time I was over in Portland OR & that was 2007. D3 released this year 2012, 5 years. GW2 I can't even recall when I heard but I was kinda shocked to hear it was coming out this year.

Also for me since I don't have a sit down table rpg group/game anymore (that dissolved in 2000) & about the only I do get to role-play in a traditional sense is ReaperCon I hope the best for them. Right now the only mmorpg I'm in is LOTRo. Being a Founder helps.

It doesn't replace tabletop but it helps at least. Hopefully the mmo version of Pathfinder does the same.

RM

I'm not usually a big fan of MMOs, but I think this Pathfinder one has the right idea if they follow through on "what you do matters". That's ambitious, but I think that's the way games should have been going all along - instead of the great endless goodie grind path they went.

Bar filling isn't a game. It's work disguised as a game. Now rallying a disparate group of adventurers to crusade against Dark Duke Warmonger and establish a new territory free from his tyrannical machinations that grows into a virbrant community of player-adventurers pushing back the wild frontier?

That's a game. If five years down the road new people join and hear about stuff you did as Lord Horseman of Shinypants back during the war, that's pretty cool. Interactive legends.

ETA: I've long expressed the opinion that FPS games should have gone this route, too. You take multiplayer, have people join a faction, and the matches tally. When a certain win % is reached, a territory is gained. You pick up your digital gun and instead of fighting for new unlocks, paints, and individual goals you're playing to actually gain territory and victory in a digital war. There's a point to it, an objective, and players compete against each other's faction to see who comes out on top.

That would excite me. Call of Duty clonehashes don't.

As far as Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 go, I don't include them. My interest in D3 waned so long ago that when it released, I didn't care. When the game tanked as fast as it did, I knew I had not missed anything. The game is shorter and more boring than D2 was, and it was released so late it lost its original target audience. GW2? Never played the first, so it released and, well, it released. No problem.

Anyway, I already said it's not my thing to invest in at this point. Everyone else have fun with it. The length of time and initial funding goal was surprising. I hope they can fund, but it takes a lot of $35 - $100 pledges to rake in $1 million.

Well, since the kickstarter just launched and they already have over 500 backers, it just might fund sooner than you would expect.

Also, there will be options in the stretch goals to shorten the time on the development of the game.

Well, since the kickstarter just launched and they already have over 500 backers, it just might fund sooner than you would expect.

Also, there will be options in the stretch goals to shorten the time on the development of the game.

That's pretty strange given that stretch goals tend to increase the features of the game, which would add to development time instead of decrease it.

Some of them could be hiring more staff to increase efficiency (Well, to a point. After a certain point, more people means more problems). Or maybe they will be able to outsource things. Something like that.

• Like 1

That's pretty strange given that stretch goals tend to increase the features of the game, which would add to development time instead of decrease it.

Shortening the time will not be the only stretch goals, just some. Adding in more races and options will be others. They are saying that they want fan input to help prioritize what gets added and in what order.

They already have a thread on the Paizo forums asking which core race they should be doing next (humans, elves and dwarves are already there, but should they do gnomes, halflings, half-elves or half-orcs next?).

Don't call them whips. Call them "Project Acceleration Implements" and get them in a variety of cheery colors to keep up morale!

Jenkins, I'd like to see you in my office.

Now, as you might be aware, recently our company has seen a downturn in efficiency management. As a result, we have decided to disincentivize inappropriate time-use skills as outlined in the office pamphlet. Such inappropriate time-use skills include throwing paper airplanes, firing nerf weapons, and shouting "Leroy Jenkins". As you have been noted as the primary userbase of that latter skillset, then you have been specially selected for uptraining development in waste management and caretaking. We feel that incentivizing you on an alternate career path is beneficial to your development as well as our own, and will afford you the opportunity to advance in a competitive manner utilizing your unique personal attributes to promote a synergic union that actualizes your potentials. In order that you may best occupy yourself with the mastery of your new tasks, your breaktimes will now be efficiently enhanced to half their usual time. You will also see your salary remanaged commensurate to your new duties, which will show on your next statement as a raise of minus fifty percent.

Glad to have you on the team, Jenkins, and I look forward to watching you excel in the actualization of your floor shine equipment technology.

• Like 4