Pathfinder MMO

Sarah Devier

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a couple things about this Kickstarter.

1) I like the idea of moving away from the "themepark ride but with math" MMO, but having the players make the content runs into obvious problems with people on the internet being total jerks.

2) The long development time for MMOs is a problem. By the time they come out the whole market can have changed. Witness Eldar Scrolls Online and even the The Old Republic.

3) Their Risks and Challenges section, in my opinion, don't really convey the difficulty of making a successful MMO and 1 million in pledges probably won't go far. It's a huge project and I think that the people behind Torchlight had a better idea of starting small and building up.

Have the people backing this played EVE? If not, I'd give it a go for a month before putting money down on this.

Besides, I'm betting it'll be $70 at retail, because 4 years ago games were $50 and now they're $60, so getting it at $35 if you know you're an MMO Junkie like me is a no-brainer. Unless you are a whiz at investing and can invest that same $35 into more than $70 in 4 years - I know I couldn't, so I'm ok with a 4 year interest-free loan.

I'm betting in 6 years it'll be free to download and funded by micro-transactions. If I can wait 4 years, I can wait 6.

Have the people backing this played EVE? If not, I'd give it a go for a month before putting money down on this.

I've played EVE. It's good. It's amazing. But this game is definitely taking its PVP model from there. I'm betting if you aren't in on the beta (since they aren't doing a reset on release), you are just target practice for people who were. No matter how interactive they want to make the world you'll still be grinding bunny rabbits for experience within site of the town walls so you don't end up being killed over and over. You can't expect people on the internet to be civil.... except on the Reaper forums, of course!

Delivery for the Beta Copy you get at the $100level is only 2014, not 2016. It's 2016 for the final MMO - and Being a veteran of WoW, CoH, SW:tOR, a 2 year dev cycle to beta, and a 4 year cycle to release isn't unusual.

You realize that doesn't actually make the delivery of the actual product come any sooner than 2016? It just means they're getting people to pay extra for beta access. It's an interesting scheme and I'm surprised they're having this much success with it; I thought that more gamers would realize launching a subscription model MMO in 2016 is, given the current state of the industry, a bound-to-fail propoition.

Delivery for the Beta Copy you get at the $100level is only 2014, not 2016. It's 2016 for the final MMO - and Being a veteran of WoW, CoH, SW:tOR, a 2 year dev cycle to beta, and a 4 year cycle to release isn't unusual.

You realize that doesn't actually make the delivery of the actual product come any sooner than 2016? It just means they're getting people to pay extra for beta access. It's an interesting scheme and I'm surprised they're having this much success with it; I thought that more gamers would realize launching a subscription model MMO in 2016 is, given the current state of the industry, a bound-to-fail propoition.

I don't think that any MMO is a suitable product for Kickstarter, but to be fair, they have said they are aiming for a hybrid model like LOTRO. Then again, having a free option in a cutthroat pvp based MMO could be bad. There will be even more spies.

They've announced stretch goals, last week.

The Emerald Spire, as a PDF for those who are pledging $75 of more, and they'll keep adding levels so the bigger the final amount is the bigger it'll be.

And Pathfinder Minis, for those willing to pledge $100 or more. Again they'll keep adding these as the total pledge goes up. So far they've announced these two, https://s3.amazonaws....png?1355273626 , and this one https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/301/556/64ebdf8e0066d9f58fae2a27a4b9805f_large.jpg?1355251829

As for my self, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

As has been pointed out, those aren't really stretch goals - they are pre-goals. Either they make funding, in which case they will hit all of these goals, or they won't, in which case it won't matter how many they hit.

There is no scenario in which the number of goals they hit has any effect at all on what is released.

Just to clear up some of the subscription related talk.

From Ryan Dancey on the Paizo boards. I'd also suggest just looking through his posts if you want some good info on things.

Pathfinder Online is going to allow players to use both systems. If you wish to pay a flat monthly subscription that's automatically billed to your payment method, you'll be able to do that. Or, if you want to pay as you play in smaller incremental amounts, we'll enable you to do that as well using microtransactions.

During Early Enrollment we'll only have the subscription system available. It will take time to develop and test the components that we'll eventually have available for people to purchase using microtransactions.

I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere in his posts that the servers wont be reset after the beta period, being that it's a sandbox game so some of the things people will see on release were done during beta by the testers. I think it'll make for a good release.

This one's coming down to the wire. As of this writing they've got six hours left and are just shy of funding. They've added a pile of rewards (including some Reaper minis); so much so that I might pledge just for those and forget about the actual game. :poke:

This one's coming down to the wire. As of this writing they've got six hours left and are just shy of funding. They've added a pile of rewards (including some Reaper minis); so much so that I might pledge just for those and forget about the actual game. :poke:

This is what I did from the beginning. Sooo many goodies, the game is just extra.

• Like 1

Broke down and went in for the loot. We'll see how things go as the game gets closer to completion. Still haven't found an MMO that I have stuck with longer than a few months. played alot of GW2 for a month or two (may go back eventually as the mood strikes) and occasionally go on DDO if my buddy mentions he'll be on.