Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

02828: Thornback Troll as a Fell Ogre

I found this guy in the clearance bin at my FLGS.

post-7739-0-58394100-1354065417_thumb.jpg

When I started painting him, I decided he was more Ogre like than Troll for my campaigns. And with the thorny back he must be some kind of demon/devil spawned version so I went red-skinned.

The skin is patchy in places with a ruddy orange.

And I decided on the eye style after watching an episode of FaceOff on Syfy.

He's painted tabletop level IMO and using washes over solids with some highlighting. I used a micro pen to create some veining effects on his skin.

The wood club has been painted to resemble a piece of a stalactite/stalagmite to keep the cave feeling of the base.

The figure is covered in a matte varnish for toughness. I just finally picked up a can of Dullcote to bring the shine back down.

I am comfortable with the piece as is for the players to be afraid of but C&C is always welcome and will be applied going forward.

And yes, I know, better pics will help. I have a camera coming for Christmas. :;):

To see additional photos (like a WIP) check out either the Facebook Album or Google+ Post.

• Like 5

I think the teeth and spikes could be a little more dirty.

I think the whites just got blown out by the camera (my phone). They have a bit of yellowing on the teeth and claws. The thorns on his back have a bit of the ruddy orange nearer the base leading up to a plain ivory. I'll see about revisiting them before I hit the piece up with Dullcote.

I painted this awhile ago (pre-KS) and have been busy doing assembly and basing for the plethora of unfinished figures.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Ive finished one as well (he is pink, we called him Pepto) its one of my favorites. my only suggestion would have been that the wraps on his hands/wrist should have been more of a tan/brown color to tie it in with the base more (that and hit it with some dull coat to kill the shine). other than that, its nice :)

Ive finished one as well (he is pink, we called him Pepto) its one of my favorites. my only suggestion would have been that the wraps on his hands/wrist should have been more of a tan/brown color to tie it in with the base more (that and hit it with some dull coat to kill the shine). other than that, its nice :)

My other Thornback I tried to copy your Pepto scheme, but then changed my mind. I still don't know how he'll end up painted!!

Light Box Photos on Grid Background. Not the best setup yet but we'll revisit when I have a real light box and proper camera.

post-7739-0-69003600-1362420916_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-78096500-1362420923_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-89340500-1362420930_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think he'd be cool as a couple of different characters. Maybe even a female version.

• Like 1

PHOTO UPDATE:

I recently got my photo studio out that I got as a present a while back and took some updated shots of the Fell Ogre.

Updated them to the Inspiration Gallery.

post-7739-0-35579900-1368813576_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-39624100-1368813601_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-07238400-1368813615_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-64316200-1368813623_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-19241100-1368813636_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-41494300-1368813651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By vegascat
      I made this model at a Reaper Bones make & take at Historicon 2015(?).  I really enjoyed making him and thought he turned out well and had plans to paint him one day......and then the Secret Sophie came along and my recipient wanted a cool monster or creature and I thought this model fit the bill in spades.   The main model I used is KAGUNK, OGRE CHIEFTAIN (https://www.reapermini.com/search/ogre/latest/77105), armed with a demonic looking whip, using a sarcophagus lid as a shield (https://www.reapermini.com/search/crypt/latest/77137), legs from...something (gryphon maybe), spines from a small dragon, and some various heads as trophies around his waist. 

I decided to name him Takzez and have given him two brief write ups - one as a bad guy and one as a good guy.  However, I do want to have the receiver to have something to himself and he can let me know later if he'd like me to share that info or not later.  But in the meantime, here he is.  Apologies for the photos, I rushed as it is already late.

I do wish I'd had more time to work on his skin and legs, although the skin turned out tons better than my first attempt at it.  Oh wow, I am going to hit that inner bottom corner on the shield with a was a few times before I send it.

C&C welcome!

• By Ducknuck84
      From the Mid 2000's attempt to revive the D&D Chainmail come this Battered Troll Skeleton which was the biggest mini in the Ahumut's Legion Faction box. He has been sitting unpainted for many years as I  have found with many of the minis the D&D produced at the time they where a pain to assemble. In his case the full arm and no peg or post and his skull with a bit of the neck was its own part with a minuscule peg and post that did not fit right and would never be able to support the weight of the head. also with the base you had to hand cut the slot that you would tab him into which is the only time i have ever seen that on a mini base. So finally after adding metal post to his parts and getting him on a base I sat down and painted him.
      He is your basic skeleton but I do like the little additions on the mini such as the splint holding the leg together and the leather wrap with a nail holding the arm in place  as well as the plate bolted on to the chest. It give the mini a bit more character. After finishing him i wanted to work on basing which is a part of the process i tend to neglect so tryed my had at some mud texture paint and still trying to get decent at using static grass and tufts. think it turned out alright but can always use more practice.
      Also interestingly enough he is about the same size as the  77004 Cave Troll. So its like a before and after diet pic

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      This thread is something ... different from other works I have been done.

I guess it's not entirely in accordance to the board rules, so you may forgive me and accept my humble bundle of roses, choclate and other stuff that will easy your severely upset minds.

When I am in the mood, I am doing so many speed builds up to the point of painting (means assembly, basing and priming), that making them all into different threads I would flood the forum with an unnecessary number of threads.

So I will keep this limited to the building process of my different tabletop figures, armies and stuff and transfer the finished figures to their respective painting threads.

What's on the table at the moment?

Watchful I Studios

28mm Chinese Army Deal (around 100 figures and equipment)

Warlord Games

56 Soviet Russians (winter) (making M into F)

Raging Heroes

Sisters of Eternal Mercy: 10x Sisters and 10 Flying Sister plus some support units

Andrea Miniatures

1x Female Warrior (upgrading her to be a Chinese Warrior Woman)

Creature Caster

1x Tree Walker

Flames of War

Fallschirmjäger-Kompanie + Support Weapons
      4x Battlefront StuG 3G
      1x Plastic Soldier Company StuG 3G

Corvus Belli

A lot of Aleph miniatures

What's done and ready to be painted?

Flames of War

1x Fallschirmjäger-Zug (9 units)
      1x Fallschirmjäger Kompanieführung (HQ) - different Units and support weapons.

Warlord Games

- 18 German Fallschirmjäger
      - 10 German Panzergrenadiere

Mantic Games:

Kings of War Succubi Regiment (20 Succubi)

CP Models:

Diana

Andrea Miniatures

1x Female Paladin
      1x Naga Warrior
      1x Gunmaid

Corvus Belli

Some Aleph miniatures

Watchful I Studios

28mm Chinese Army Deal (15 figures)
    • By ChristopherGeorge
      Hey guys,

I've been lurking and posting around these forums for nigh a while now and i thought i'd share a project that i've been working on for quite some time.

It's a tabletop roleplaying Game that i've been working on for about 20 years now as a personal hobby. After much convincing, I've decided to create a 4th Edition and make it available to the world at large.

The Quickstart guide is a free starter pack for the System, including how to make a character, equip them and conduct simple adventures. I'm looking at releasing a Kickstarter next year to release the full core system, but for now i'm just looking for feedback and interest.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/282100/Tides-of-Prophecy-Quickstart-Guide

Check it out, hey, it's free. I'd be very appreciative for any feedback, comments or constructive critique you could provide!

Cheers,

Christopher George
    • By izzylobo
      So, let's get this show on the road, shall we. 
      I have been... remiss... in actually documenting the painting I've been doing. Partially because this has mostly been utter speed painting of the "get paint on Bonesium so it doesn't all look the same from six feet away" variety, partly various other reasons. 

But today is Paintsgiving (my parents live in Texas. I do not. Hence...). So I have a little time. And some projects I want to get completed before Sunday (the next session of the high-level D&D5e game I play in - we're talking high level here, folks. The party currently includes a Chosen of Tymora, a halfling wizard whose next goal after we're done with this is to overthrow the Maharajah of the City of Brass, and become a Demigod of Fire... etc.) - currently our endgame for this story arc is shanking Lolth (or "she who will not be named" because we're not interested in drowing (drawing, but I liked the typo, so I left it...) her attention) and freeing the dark elven people from her bullcrap. 

So, the first set of "finish these" are - 

Deena Halentyr, Chosen of Tymora and her Sixth Dagger (one of Tymora's secret agents), and default leader of the band of adventurers known as Calculated Risk ("Our opponents have always taken a risk that was calculated... but they have also always been bad at math". Human, but currently taking on the aspect of one of Tymora's Solars (with her permission, and the help of a True Polymorph).

Solars are supposed to be Large, but none of the minis I looked at really fit the bill besides the Angel of Shadow (especially not the Bones Solar, which is a pretty cool mini... but is about the beariest Bear that ever beared... and Deena is definitely not that. In fact pretty much the opposite - Deena is the femmiest Femme that ever looked at another woman and said "she's really cute."

So, colors - Blues and silver were pretty much required - first, I love them, second, Tymora's colors run to blues and silvers, and third, Deena had already been noted (manymany sessions ago) as preferring them even before she took up Fortune's Coin. Her wings are (very) roughly based on the lipstick lesbian pride flag - but I stuck to only three colors (a dark red, a dark pink/rose, and a light pink/white) because with six the wings would be too busy, and the numbering doesn't match up - whereas with three, the wings start at the tips with red, and end at the base with red. Her skin will be a dark tan, her boots will probably be chocolate with some bright lacing, and the lantern will probably be my first half-serious attempt at some OSL. The rest of her wings will be some shades of blue - likely starting darker at the top and working my way down. Her eyes are heterochromatic, and she's a Higher Being (right now), so one will be bright green (solid) and the other bright blue (same). Hair got roughly blocked in with red ink, which should give everyone an idea of what her hair color is... 

I'm unsure what to do with shading for her - I don't want to just use one of the Army Painter quickshades, or something from GW, because I'm concerned it will draw the color down too far (and then I'll have to spend too much time bringing it back up again - which, honestly, is work I always hate (re-)doing - "I already painted this once, and now I have to redo it?!?!") I'm considering using one of the red inks I have (Army Painter red tone, or Reaper Red Liner/ink) but I'm not sure how well that would work? 

Deena's Familiar/Patronus/best friend, Bastia. She's a Tressym (theoretically - she's actually a Spirit of Tymora, but everyone mostly ignores this fact because she's adorable and cute and very much the epitome of "what if a cat had wings and an IQ of 110?"). Stones will be stonelike. Her body will probably be a sort of dark-grey-ish color, with slightly darker in the wing membranes, and a lighter shade on the ruffs in her fur. Like Deena's eyes, hers are heterochromatic - blue and green. 

Did we mention that one of Bastia's powers is she can get bigger? She can get bigger, and spoopier. The miniature is Ral Partha (now produced by Iron Wind Metals) Winged Panther. I'm likely to use Reaper's glorious Nightmare Black for her (I will be so sad when I run out of this) - a dark grey for the inside of her ears, something like silver for her claws (her attacks are magical in this form), and, again, blue and green eyes. If I was feeling really inspired (and had more time), I'd try and do a starscape effect on her wings, but, I'd rather learn something like that on minis I don't care about...

Garrius is a Triton Paladin! He is Very Loud and Forthright, and sometimes Not Very Bright, because INT was his dump stat! He has No Fashion Sense Whatsoever! Deena is very fond of Garrius, even if he's a blooming idiot, because he's a very honest blooming idiot who is actually fairly self-aware (low INT, decent WIS). This... is not my finest work, at all. I'm painting directly onto Bonesium because that's how the player started with him, and I didn't want to strip off all of his work and start over, but I also wanted the mini to actually have paint on it - so this is sort of a mercy painting. "Has no fashion sense whatsoever" and "has lots and lots of money, and not much idea what to do with it" sort of runs the show, here - Garrius is bright and bold and clashing, and has made a lot of clothiers very wealthy with his gullibility...

Iron Trumpet wants to be immortal, and wants to be a god. For someone who is as smart as he is, he sometimes needs to be reminded that the latter mostly encompasses the former (as much as one can in the Forgotten Realms). He's not evil... per se... but to a degree this is only because he hangs around with (and is slightly scared of) Deena, who has tried very hard to keep him (and most of the rest of Calculated Risk, who lean in the main towards  self-interested/not quite Dark Side in alignment... ) on, if not the straight (yeah, right...) and narrow, at least targeted at people where if they end up dead, it makes the world a better place (so, red wizards, evil giants and dragons, evil ifrit lords, Lolthite priestesses, and the like). Iron's mini was a combination of "Iron needs a mini" and "hey, that one is kinda cool, and fiery halflings... who does this remind me of" - the sculpt is neat, the priming on this one actually wasn't bad. 
  • Who's Online   37 Members, 2 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)