Sign in to follow this  
ObsidianCrane

02924: Bertok, Barbarian (L2PK-4)

OK so here is my finished take on Bertok.

I'd love to get feedback on the NMM, its attempt number 4 at the technique and I still don't think I've got it right. Strangely there are some spots on him where I think I've done (by accident) an ok SENMM.

post-7660-0-72056900-1354414807.jpgpost-7660-0-41593600-1354414815.jpg

post-7660-0-56529000-1354414812.jpgpost-7660-0-14995400-1354414818.jpg

• Like 7

I think you nailed the crescent edge of the axe..and I really like the part of the axe head around the shaft of the wood up till the tip of the triangle.. it looks great!..in between is abit flat looking tho(the front pic, rear pic looks better)

only other minor thing I can see is the highlights on the abs are a bit to bright compared to the chest

really nice paintjob overall ..the blue cloth and the NMM really compliment each other well.

• Like 1

To my eye, your highlight and shadow positions work well for NMM. And your highlight and shadow levels are pretty good too (shadow might be a bit brighter than optimal). The problems, I think, are that you need smoother blends from highlight to shadow and that the edges of the shadow/highlight transitions aren't quite smooth enough either.

HTH

Doug - I think that is ultimately why I'm going to have to leave NMM alone. Unless I can find a fast way of getting those blends really smooth that problem will persist. He does look good for tabletop use (ie at arms length at least), but to step up to the next level will require doubling the time spent on each mini and right now (and for the forseeable future) that's time I don't have.

I'll have to settle for "speed painted hordes" and "good tabletop characters" and stick with metallics where you can be rougher because the room light will smooth it out more anyway. Maybe if I keep painting for a good while I'll pick up enough general speed to get those really smooth blends done again.

Oh. That's no excuse! :upside:

I have thousands incoming. I imagine at some point I'll have to speed paint some, but it's tough for me. That's why the L2PKs are helping a lot, I'm able to just keep plowing on where with a normal mini I'd obsess over each individual part.

But once I'm painting Dreadball teams or SW troops I might want to pick up the pace. At my initial pace of 1 mini per 6 weeks a DB team would take over a year :)

The stubble worked really well, I'm happy with it also. :)

Cash: Believe me the more I look in my box of shame the more I realise I need to paint. There is not much I have coming that I can just base coat, wash, retouch done.

I like the nmm and I think it works as senmm. I think the only constructive criticism I can offer is it looks like your need to thin your paint a bit more than you are. Possibly a mid tone between the light skin and dark skin to blend them more would work too.

All in all another great job.

If you don't have the time to spend on really smooth blends, try a thin blue glaze over the axe head. This will subdue the harshness of the transitions and pull everything together with very little effort.

I think the axe head looks fine even with the rushed blend; it has a sort of comic-book or animation-style look to it. If you told everyone you did it this way on purpose, I doubt anybody would be the wiser. I'll bet it would look aces with a glaze.

I have a problem with the paint thining thing. If we assume the aircon is actually reducing the temperature to its set value the room I paint in is 77 F. Of course in reality the room is probably around 80-85 F. Basically I am thining my paints but they still dry fast just from sheer evaporation in the small volumes on a brush.

I know, use a wet pallet, aka a mold growing container. Seriously the average air humidity here is 60-70% and it doesn't rain most of the year. Welcome to painting in the tropics. ;)

Furonigan- yeah a glaze might work, but it's possible the transitions are too harsh anyway.

I actually like the style of the slightly exaggerated, slightly blocked in color. Looks very painterly.

While the muscle tones got away from you a bit on the abdomen, the left leg is amazing. I think if you want to stay away from tons of slow blends, you should concentrate on that painterly style that is definitely emerging in several spots on that dude.