mgmaranda

Advice on purchasing an Airbrush for "Mini" and Terrain Painting

I'm thinking about getting an airbrush to help with painting minis (armies and large things like dragons and cthulhu) but I don't know where to begin the process.

The other application I would have for it would be painting terrain for sand tables.

Any good links or suggestions for somebody looking to buy in would be great so I can get an idea of how much pressure I should need in a compressor, what nozzle sizes would be good to start with and what to look for in the actual airbrush handle.

I've just finished doing my research on the very same topic (although I haven't saved up for the purchase yet… stupid Kickstarters).

I decided on the Badger 155 Anthem. It's dual action, siphon-feed and has a nice range in the diameter of its output.

I found a great document on their site that explains a lot for newbies like me: http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/UltimateAirbrush101final.pdf

Also, DickBlick.com has a good FAQ at http://www.dickblick.com/categories/airbrush/ (scroll to the bottom). They have pretty good prices there too.

Mathieu Fontaine is a mini painter who uses an airbrush often and has posted a helpful blog post with the basics.

http://www.akaranseth.com/blog/tutorials/airbrushing-for-figurine.htm

I've only recently started my own airbrush journey, so I don't have much more than that. :-> Other than good luck!

Oh, and if you're going to ReaperCon I think there may be an airbrushing seminar or two there this year. If they don't end up on the schedule, there will at the very least be three painters who use them often in attendance that you could talk to.

Wow I missed the Mathieu Fontain site, but I watched his miniature mentor tutorial which was good. Also, Thomas David has a speed painting tutorial on Miniature Mentor that uses an airbrush which also useful.

Mathieu's got a tutorial on Miniature Mentor? I can't seem to find it in their list of products, do you have a link or any more info?

I wanted to try an airbrush without spending a huge amount on something that may end up in a garage sale. At the same time, I did not want to get something that was too cheap and have it turn me off. I ended up buying an Iwata Neo from Hobby Lobby with a 50% off coupon and a home improvement air compressor. The air compressor was on sale and I was able to get it with quick connects and a water trap. I spent just under $100 for the whole set up. I've used it for the last year and am ready to spend more on an airbrush but am still happy with my Neo.

The compressor is noisy and I wouldn't recommend it for apartment dwellers.

Weird I can't find the link on their page anymore, but I did confirm that it was a MM tutorial. I send an email to their support to see if it was discontinued for some reason. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks! At least now I know that it's not just that I was being really dim and missing it in the list.

I got a message back saying "Certain files have been removed unfortunately but they will be covered in future tutorials". Its a bummer. That was a good tutorial.

That seems odd, but at least you found out what was going on. Thanks!