Sign in to follow this  
The Basilisk

Are these uh... legal...?

http://www.pewterman...m/rawcliffe.htm

I recently ran across this ancient, sketchy looking site that sells tons and tons pewter dragon figures - and couldn't help but notice some... erm... familiar faces...

Just wanted to know if these guys are licensed to sell Reaper products/alert Reaper to the activity here.

I'm not seeing any mention of the Reaper/DHL names, nor the names of artists such as Wiebe, Saunders, or Johnson.

It's possible that these sculptors sold to more than one manufacturer, or I may more than likely be wrong in bringing these to attention, but something smells fishy in Pirate Town...

Fishy as in "bought figures and glued fake gems into their eye sockets" type of fishy. >:T

What's the deal with this?

is this the wrong section for this? should I simply contact an admin like Brian or something?

Edited by The Basilisk

Yes it's legal. Yes, Rawcliffe literally polishes em up nice and shiny, add some gems and then resell em. I think this question pops up a couple times a year. Nothing fishy or sketchy.

• Like 2

Ah well, that's my mistake then.

It's better than the worst case scenario that was floating through my head where I became a forum laughing stock for missing the "WE ARE LICENSED BY REAPER" fine print.

... still would have preferred the alternate fantasy where I was rewarded with reaper swag for spotting a thief. ::P:

Talk about visions of grandeur.

Ral Partha used to do the same thing. I still have some polished pewter with gemstone eyes and crystal balls that even still have the Ral Partha marks on the bottoms.

Ah well, that's my mistake then.

It's better than the worst case scenario that was floating through my head where I became a forum laughing stock for missing the "WE ARE LICENSED BY REAPER" fine print.

... still would have preferred the alternate fantasy where I was rewarded with reaper swag for spotting a thief. ::P:

Talk about visions of grandeur.

Never hurts to have people on the lookout. People do make unlicensed casts. If there's money in it, people will steal anything.

• Like 4

I actually did the same thing Basilisk, about 8 years ago. I saw a couple Reaper figures being sold as knick knacks under another company name and asked the same thing.

• Like 2

My first mini purchase ever was a Fine casted Peww'tah figure of a Ral Partha fighter. ^_^

I was with my grandmother & we were at a local drug store & they had a display of figures (clear plastic castle looking thing). I was eyeballing them & she said pick a cheap one out.

Thus my miniature hobby was born.

• Like 6

Aside from having a website designed by a granny (no offense to grannies), they have some neat stuff. They have... MAKE A WISH DRAGON /DROOL!!!! I wants me some of that!

Of course, I've seen it elsewhere for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper >.> And without being marred by fake crystals.

• Like 2

The crystals are easily removed. When the Ral Partha TSR Fizban was selling for over $100 on eBay and my friend wanted one, he just got the Rawcliffe cast for $5 at a local store instead. I popped off the gem, primed and painted, voila - painted parthas on the cheap.

• Like 3

The crystals are easily removed. When the Ral Partha TSR Fizban was selling for over $100 on eBay and my friend wanted one, he just got the Rawcliffe cast for $5 at a local store instead. I popped off the gem, primed and painted, voila - painted parthas on the cheap.
Just gotta know where to look!

Well of course it doesn't say "licensed by Reaper." These minis are sold to a different audience, one that likes shiny pewter statuettes, and the company hasn't any interest in that audience learning about where to get the supplies to make these. I doubt it wants its customers to even know about Reaper. It would be like publishing their wholesaler information to their customers.

• Like 1

I find it amusing and appalling how, say, Renaissance Fair vendors will buy up a bunch of Reaper stuff, ink it, buff out most of the detail, and sell it at 5x MSRP as "Fine Pewter Collectables."

Just my rambling...

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this