Sign in to follow this  
Foxden Racing

How do you organize your paints?

After finding "evidence" of an unwanted houseguest last month [and by evidence, I mean poo all over my palette and rinse cups], I'm moving my painting station somewhere less suffocating and brighter. I figured I'd take the opportunity to reorganize my paints, making them easier to find than picking, flipping, grumbling, and putting them aside.

Problem is: the original Roy G Biv plan fell apart in a hurry. Red and Orange got split into Red, Orange, Brown, Flesh, and sorta-peach-like. Extra columns got added for black, dark gray, light gray, white, metallic, and 'not paint' [primer, clear, etc]. Metallic not being sorted is already starting to set off my OCD, as I've got a slew of silvers and steels, a few in the copper/brass/bronze family, and a handful of the old 'fantasy metallics'...blue, green, purple, and a couple of the 'magic effects' [fire glow, etc] which were just cool colors with a handful of flake thrown in.

So...how do you guys do it? I'm driving myself nuts-er over here...

I pick, flip, grumble and put them aside. ::):

All my paints are in a bin, with their color painted on their top so I can (roughly) tell what's what.

• Like 1

Loosely based on color. Very loosely. I've noticed that certain tones have tendencies so a shade of yellow may end up in flesh tones, certain flesh tones may end up with my browns, etc. So I guess my organizing is based on use/experimentation.

The tops of the paint caps are dabbed with the paint itself, the caps have the SKU of the paint in sharpie on two sides, and they're arranged in the paint boxes in numeric order with printouts of the names, skus, and swatches in order on the lid of the box. Once you start remembering Brown Liner is 64, etc., it becomes easy to find them quickly.

• Like 2

Well, at least for Reaper, you can organize the paints by triads. I think it's useful to organize paints by shades, so I can have a range of colors that work together as basecoat, shade, and highlight?

• Like 1

The tops of the paint caps are dabbed with the paint itself, the caps have the SKU of the paint in sharpie on two sides, and they're arranged in the paint boxes in numeric order with printouts of the names, skus, and swatches in order on the lid of the box. Once you start remembering Brown Liner is 64, etc., it becomes easy to find them quickly.

This is how I do it also. The swatch is smeared so it goes from thick to very thin.

heh heh heh- organize? I do have a paint shelf, but it only has the paints I'm not using often on it. The others are scattered on my desk within easy reach. I did have them organized at one point with the colors I use most in front. Don't worry- whatever scheme you come up with will be fine (the optimist in me thinks that when the scheme breaks down with heavy use this is not a bad thing, but a sign of overwhelming creativity. the house is messy on purpose! seriously!) ^_^

• Like 2

By colours, by triads, and by what fits on my Paintier racks. Which since some new colours have/are coming out, will require some interesting resorting. One Paintier is inks, metallics and other paints with 'effects' that I don't use as frequently. One is skin tones, browns and grays. Then the last is red-yellow-orange on the top shelf, blues and purples on the second, and greens on the bottom. Once I established the basic system it really became more about just keeping things that way as I know what goes where, so I only get thrown off if something isn't where it's supposed to be rather than driving myself crazy wondering if this particular brown is more skin coloury or more browny or whatever.

Then I have a set of paints also organized by colour by in the Reaper cases that are for taking to paint club, and since I don't know that system as well it's just me picking up 20 bottles and reading the label until I find the colour I'm looking for.

I have pretty much everything in a box under my coffee table, I tried leaving them out to only have one cat run off with a bottle of citadel paint in it's mouth and the other cat picked up the package of brushes and hid under the bed with them.

My paint collection fluctuates like ignited plasma around my ‘hobby station’ thingy. I only ever attempt organization when I clear off my desk to clean it.

When II get a chance, and it is rare, I go by shades and types in my paint bin I can fit 7 colors in an area - so a space for each color type, fleshes, metallics, additives, liners,....but it usually doesn't last. They all get thrown on the carousel in whatever order, or shoved back in the paint bin to clear the area. For the project I am working on I just leave them out in a jumble around me. So when you figure out a good way, let me know - one that doesn't involve work. ;-)

That said, Noel does a fine job of everything dotted on the caps, in rough color grids set in transport case foam inserts, and she uses a bottle and puts it back where it belongs. I watch her with wide-eyed amazement and a stunned tic of the lips every time.

I mix all of my colors from about a dozen bottles of Golden matte fluid acrylics, with occasional admixtures of one of my other acrylics.

I have a small space on a shelf with black, white, and earth tones to one side. Then the colors are arranged more or less rainbow order, ROY G. BIV.

Since it's only a handful of relatively large bottles, this isn't too burdensome.

My non-minis painting acrylics are far more numerous and varied. They are almost all in big jars, with a few medium-sized tubes. I keep them in two medium sized transparent plastic bins, one for black and all "cold" colors (blues, greens, greys, and violets) and one for all "warm" colors (reds, yellows, oranges, browns, and earth tones). White, which is in a really huge jar, is kept in a special spot on the shelf.

I also arrange my pure pigments (which I use to make homemade egg tempera) in this way, a drawer of "colds" and a drawer of "warms." I suspect these are closer to a collection of minis paints since there ar a lot of them, in smallish jars.

I have a far more complex filing system for oil paints based on color, pigment, drying time, oil content, and flexibility of the final dried oil film. In oil paints it is way more important than acrylics what gets put on top of what.

It works pretty well for me.

Organize my paints? Orga...what? I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. I'm just going to sit here hugging my legs, and rock back and forth, until the bad thought you tried to put in my head fades away.

Edit: NNggghhhhhh....

Edited by burnsides
  • Like 1

Hmmm organisation.... I have a paint rack... sometimes the paints even go into it.... I have a table all the paints fit on.... and I have a box...

Thats organisation isn't it?