Sign in to follow this  
DAYtheELF

03363: Dannin Deepaxe, Female Dwarf (Modified)

I am quite the amatuer when it comes to painting minis. However, I find it a lot of relaxing fun. My D&D group is only halfway (?) through the original full DragonLance modules, so we need a lot of minis for all of the characters! The problem I run in to is finding a mini that best suits the character. Case in point was finding a female dwarven monk for my new character Ulfa. I couldn't find anyone without big weapons! I came across "03363: Dannin Deepaxe, Female Dwarf" and decided to try my hand at modification. I removed the axe and shield and tried to reform the hands. Not the best photographer, but here are the results:

post-9013-0-49357200-1355206280.jpg

post-9013-0-19875400-1355206281.jpg

Edited by DAYtheELF
  • Like 5

PS, I am very silly and managed to slice off part of my finger in the process! The hard stuff was fine... it was when I was clipping off a little bit of flash that I did it. Go me. :blush: Be careful folks!

• Like 1

Gah! Be careful with sharp things!

That's a great mod though! Nice work! I have a gnome sitting on my desk that needs some work too... Needs a moustache, a bunch of flames, and a lengthened staff. Actually feeling inspired to tackle him now!

• Like 1

Good work getting her shield and axe off! I've been doing a lot of that lately, so I know how difficult (and bloody) it can be. She looks pretty good for you just starting out, especially her eyes. ::):

• Like 1

Great conversion, wouldn't have known if you didn't mention it!

As for your painting, good gaming quality. It's exactly the level I was painting at back when I was painting in the 90s, I have at least a dozen minis that look very similar, and they were really great for our D&D games. The blonde hair is EXACTLY my old style blonde hair :) And the eyes are far better than anything I ever did. And better than most of what I've done since returning to the hobby, too!

• Like 1

I think this looks excellent. Great job on conversion. Be warned though, conversion is highly addictive.

• Like 1

Be warned though, conversion is highly addictive.

Yeh, I already want to try sculpting my own minis....

Thanks for all of the positive feedback! Maybe I will post of the others I have done soon. This has been a trial and error process for me. I've doodled for years, but have never had a real art class and never messed with paints. My first two minis I painted I used oil-based paints and finished with a glossy coat! Heh. I've read a couple tutorials and have slowly been acquiring better brushes and lights. I enjoy trying new things that seem like a good idea, see if it works or not, and THEN look it up online to see if others are doing it and how can I improve it.

I enjoy eyes, and I swear hers look better in person. What is it about the camera that highlights every tiny tiny flaw? Anyways, I do have a question for the experts out there. I have tried cleaning up the model's eyes when I am in the cleaning and filing stage at the beginning. I find that often the minis come to me with warped eyes, places where there is too much metal or not enough, the lines are gone, the eyeball is lumpy, etc. I still cannot seem to get them even and smooth. I might think I have, but then I put on paint and can see where it's still messed up... but by that point 95% of the mini is painted and I am afraid to do surgery and break it all. I have been thinking about adding a new stage to my cleaning and filing process. Right now it looks somethign like this:

1. Open the package and squee at how cute it is.

2. Cut/ file off the obvious flash, etc.

3. Scrub with soap and water.

4. Finish filing/ cutting/ modding.

5. Another quick wash.

6. Glue bits on if needed.

7. Thin black wash.

8. Thin white dry brush.

9. Dry.

10. PAINT!

So I am thinking of between steps 3 and 4 of doing a thin black wash and maybe a touch of white dry brushing to further highlight bad lines, errors, etc. THEN doing a good scrub to get it all off again before gluing. Has anyone else tried it? Is there a better way?

Edited by DAYtheELF

Good work getting her shield and axe off! I've been doing a lot of that lately, so I know how difficult (and bloody) it can be.

I broke TWO blades! I consider that success.

Looks to me like you were using automatic exposure on that photo.

In an automatic exposure mode, your camera will try to bring the average to approximately a medium gray. When the majority of the frame is white, that means it will darken the frame down so that the white starts to approach gray. The result is an underexposed subject.

Then, even if you lighten the image in post, you will have lost quite a lot of detail in your subject.

Upshot: More light isn't going to help in the way that you think it will. Using a darker background (ideally around 20% gray) probably will. If you still want to use a white background, set your exposure manually.

• Like 1

I use a p&s, too. Check out the light box thread in the photo subforum, it's cheap and easy to put together a decent setup. My camera is from 2005, and it was cheap.

She looks so cute!! And great job with the conversion, lots of awesome character! I smiled when I read step 1 of your cleaning process ::D:!

Do you use any paint primer? I've used the brush on white primer Reaper has, and also spray on grey auto primer from Duplicolor (but just light spray dusting). Also particularly with the spray on primer (but it shows up with both.. ) any additional flash lines show up, just when you thought you could start with paint haha! At that point I'll go back in fix and touch up the primer. It may help the black and white washes adhere better to the metal mini (although I think with the new Bones coming out, primers are not as nescessary).