Xerobull

Precision Machined Dice Kickstarter

I'm in almost certainly. And if she does an RPG set D4 - D20 I will chuck even more investment at her. Clever young lady, ever happy to support passionate entrepreneurs.

• Like 1

Not too sure on this one. The dice would play havoc with my dice towers and they're kind of pricey to use just as show pieces or paperweights.

Yeah, I'm in to support a young entrepreneur but there are some flaws in the plan. Some chamfered edges would make them rollable, but Amber has stated she won't be offering that because of the rework in SolidWorks that would be required. But as they stand, you can't really take advantage of the fact that they're "precision" because you can't reasonably roll them. They are in effect display pieces. I'll probably end up getting a pair of Titanium for desk toys. A less than subtle reminder that I'd rather be gaming. Or perhaps that I should get back to work so I can afford to game.

She has stated the manufacturer can churn out 20,000 dice per month, and that she has a lot of help lined up for fulfillment work. She passed 1000% funding with almost a month remaining, so plenty of potential for runaway success. I'm prepared for substantial delays, and just hope she's worked out all the detailed financials. Particularly regarding the cost of packaging supplies, shipping, taxes, etc. At any rate, my investment isn't so severe that I'll have heartburn over the project failing to deliver. Unlike my Bones... :)

@gregr I have precision plastics and they still roll ok. However I understand your issue of rolling but from a dice cup they will. Perhaps request a demo video? :)

Don't talk about the bones time is going so slowly I can wait to paint them!

I asked a question about lacquering to protect the anodized aluminum and Amber said:

"I understand that, I carry around my six aluminum with me everywhere I go and I keep them all together in a pocket or something and yes, I have seen that all of them have little scratches or dinged up edges, which is unfortunate, but thats just the what happens when you carry around 6 sharp metal cubes.

I would rather keep the price low than to have them all coated, having them die anodized offers some protection in itself. Thats another reason why these are more for novelty items than for actual game play."

Seems kind of odd to spend the time and effort to have novelty die machined with this kind of precision.

Definitely need chamfered edges.

Also, with tungsten dice...no gaming on MY oak table, thanks!

I think Lou Zocchi would disagree with you about the chamfers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2fxoNHIuU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmkWrDbn34

That being said, I have many sets of dice that I just bought for their looks.

The precision dice offered in the KS look great and prcise, but be careful not to dent your dining room table with them ;-)

Edited by badocter

It may not matter since these seem like more of a novelty, but has anyone asked about the weight distribution among the sides? The material machined out of the "one" side will be much less than the material machined out of the "six" side. Unless she is compensating with hole depth, it seems like the "one" side will be the heaviest. In aluminium this may not matter, but in tungsten it might.

Inner Geek, she specifically mentions hole depth to maintain center of mass and so forth in one of her posts. No problems there!

The project creator has mentioned that the drilling depth for the various pips has been taken into account.

Can't recall off hand if it was in her video or in on of the comment sections.

Inner Geek, she specifically mentions hole depth to maintain center of mass and so forth in one of her posts. No problems there!

The project creator has mentioned that the drilling depth for the various pips has been taken into account.

Can't recall off hand if it was in her video or in on of the comment sections.

Thanks guys! I can see the KS page, but not view the videos at work.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sylverthorne
      So.. this is happening.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1141913215/mech-cockpit-simulator

I'm not sure what I can say about this that isn't said on the page; other than it looks like a sheet management toy that could be a lot of fun to mess with.

I'll let you guys judge effectiveness for yourselves. ;p
    • By joshuaslater
      These savages are on Kickstarter.  My first Kickstarter!  There are all kinds of add ons lurking in here too.  Thanks Reaper for providing this forum! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648985407/rise-of-the-powrie?ref=creator_nav

• By Smokestack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eternalverse/eternalverse-heroines-miniature-collection/description

Eternalverse Heroines Miniature Collection
      28mm resin miniatures featuring powerful designs for girls in fantasy tabletop games, .STL available too! No boob armor, we promise.
      About
      We wanted to make a collection of miniature heroines that you would be proud to give to your daughters. We strugle to find variety in this field and we want to make a difference offering wonderful designs with non sexualized poses and clothes and, of course, defeat the boob armour for good, let's keep it practical. The nerd future deserves awesome heroines and we are gonna do it right. 
      Our miniature Heroines are perfect for a lot of tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Warhammer, etc. Also they're lovely for the painting enthusiasts with a medium level of difficulty.
      The miniatures will be available assembled and unpainted and in .stl, ready to be printed. They're in 28mm scale and come with circle bases. Moulds and production are going to be done by a factory of miniature proffesionals who make high detailed works like anime figures and wargames miniatures (and that they do the production on a very well know brand of figures who casually have a cool range of women soldiers!).
      Back view!  SHIPPING INFO
       Shipping prices are already stated, we consulted our mail system and included them to the rewards. The shipping is going to be certificated and you will have your tracking number.
      First prototipe, 3D printed with CR Ender 3 (not the final quality) Painting test on the prototipe!  ABOUT THE .STLs
      The digital reward is a great and cheap option for the makers!
      This miniatures are perfect for sla and pla printing. We will attach a little guide on how to print with better quality of detail. .Stl of the bases are inclued!  ABOUT THE PACKAGING
      As a basic packaging for the four miniatures we think of a cardboard and plastic blister but if we have enough funds we would love to give our Heroines a custom cardboard box! 
      As a stretch goal we have something you all will enjoy, if we reach 10 000 € we will add to all the pledges without extra cost the Heroines Digital Art Booklet as a big thank you. This pdf booklet will feature original concept sketches, illustrations and 3D renderings by three different artist. 
       We didn't want to add a lot of stretch goals because we want to give all our attention and care to our four heroines. We already seen that some of the bigger miniature projects here on Kickstarter resulted in big disasters because the creators were too ambitious with huge amounts of unfinished add ons and stretch goals. 
      Original idea, 2D development : Clementina Barcia, Carlos Rodas
      3D sculptors: CastnPlay
      WHO WE ARE
       We are two goblins based on Galicia, Spain  who like to think ideas and products for tabletop games. We are know for our Random Character Generator dice set and for our 3D printable terrain Easyhex inspired by low poly games. We like to do it well and kick!
      BUDGET FOR THIS CAMPAIGN
      This is how we are going to spend the funds, any extra money we will use it for getting better things for our backers and keep our indie business going. 
      TRACK US!
       http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/eternalverse/eternalverse-heroines-miniature-collection/ 
      SPECIAL THANKS
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/space-raiders-the-space-goblins?ref=creator_nav&fbclid=IwAR2h-8VsOTVqQQ_gMAqIGt7JgDvMDxwHvFgWQzDCAKXjyUCuYXr2m1TbpFY

Space Riders "The Space Goblins!"

This is the 4th chapter in the Space Raiders range. Bringing miniatures with the classic late 80's and early 90's oldschool look and cast in metal (except for those especified).

This time focusing on the Space Goblins and the Mind Controllers.

They will the perfect reinforcements for your classic armies or maybe you'll start right from here!

You can see more pics of all of them at my Facebook group,

Space Raiders:https://www.facebook.com/groups/775315502580794/

The new Goblins and orc arms are sculpted by the goblin master himself KEVIN ADAMS, while the Mind controller is no other than Bob Olley! Two true oldhammer legends!

• By Kangaroorex
      Okay I might have a problem when it comes to collecting and painting dragons.  They fascinate me.  This dragon has been produced by many companies, I think Dark Sword holds the rights at this point but it was also produced by RAFM and Ral Partha and probably others as well.  She is a small thing but still fun and relatively simple to paint up.  The dragon back has a very fine scale texture making the wide expanse of a back difficult to display (for her brothers and sisters I will probably incorporate some sort of design) properly. Hope you enjoy

• Who's Online   38 Members, 4 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)