Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

02924: Bertokk, Barbarian (L2PK4)

This was a tough one, as following the Buglips the Goblin official order of L2PKs (1,2,4,5,3) we only have Kit 1's metal method (tm Doug Marks). Which is really the only way I ever painted metallics, and it's pretty prehistoric. Other than that I'm ok with how Bertokk came out, pretty fast for me - about three sessions of two hours each.

Bertokk_Barbarian.JPG

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46281-opengroup-wip-l2pk4/?p=657486'>WIP here.

• Like 5

Well, it's not so much "official order" as the one that makes most sense. ::P: By the time people reach NMM they should be well-practiced and find it easy. Or at least easier. Does leave you hanging on the metals for 4, but I think he looks pretty cool. The skintones are the important part of 4, and you nailed those!

• Like 1

As always, thanks for the kind words!

I guess at this early point in my journey (Bertokk is mini #8), flesh tones are my 'thing'. I struggle with pretty much everything else. I even snuck in a custom mix for ze nipple (the slightest dab of the red from the kit into the mid-tone).

I also really like how the lining turned out on him. After not being a fan of the technique, I'm shooting for a real subtle implementation. Stumbled in a couple spots, but overall really pleased with that angle.

Leathers are all pretty meh. I need a better technique at some point. The hair turned out kinda cool, tough to see on camera, my idea was from old Superman comics, clack hair with a blue sheen. The green cloth is the method for Laurana's outfit in Kit 2. I like the rope, oiled leather washed with a veeery thin walnut, re-apply oiled mid-tone and two highlights of oiled+linen.

Another thing to note is the difference angle and lighting make on a photo. Look at my last WIP shots, some of the shaded areas, the lower back and the chest straps especially, look kinda jacked up in the WIP. But in the finished mini sitting on the table, you can see how it accentuates the shadows.

I think this was my favorite L2PK mini thus far; fun to paint, good details, nice character to the sculpt.

• Like 1

Nice job on Bertok. Far better than my attempt, though he was my third mini painted.

I was not a big fan of lining either. I found that as I improved my brush control, and got better brushes that could hold a good point, my appreciation for what it does greatly increased. I now line most, if not all, minis I paint. I generally use blackened brown or the standby brown liner. The darkest I go is walnut brown. I have also experimented with a dark gray or blue, depending on the surrounding colors.

I admit that I still do not like heavy black lining, which is too cartoony for my taste.

Edited by Mierot
  • Like 1

This came out beautifully. For that "superman" black hair, I've found that black with a highlight of P3's "Coal black" (which is really a very very dark teal) and then an ultra-fine highlight of their "Frostbite" works very nicely. If the mini has the right hair, and enough strands to provide obvious contrast, you can even forego the frostbite. I don't know the Reaper equivalent colours I'm afraid.

I'm definitely feeling like I should snag one of these kits. I need practice with flesh tones.

• Like 1

This came out beautifully. For that "superman" black hair, I've found that black with a highlight of P3's "Coal black" (which is really a very very dark teal) and then an ultra-fine highlight of their "Frostbite" works very nicely. If the mini has the right hair, and enough strands to provide obvious contrast, you can even forego the frostbite. I don't know the Reaper equivalent colours I'm afraid.

I'm definitely feeling like I should snag one of these kits. I need practice with flesh tones.

That's cool. I should've thought of the P3 thing, I used a fake coal black on my Firebrand Drone project. Then talking some more with folks on the McVey forum, I just went ahead and bought the paint pack with it (and Frostbite). I just used the undercoat color that I based the metals with, taken from Kit 5.

I also highly recommend these kits. I stuck to the instructions (it's my self-imposed rule) as closely as possible, and the spirit of someone working through these kits (so my green taken directly from Kit 2's instructions). Even though I'm pretty new to the hobby (he's my 8th mini after a 14 hiatus, and I http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3667682/Minis/Archives/Conjurer.JPG'>wasn't good back then), I'm treating this project as if I'm totally new with only the info from the kit instructions. I'm weird like that.

I'm in a pretty similar boat. Just back to the hobby a couple months ago after 15 years or so. You were much better back then than I was, I assure you. I envy your 8 completed minis though. I've been painting and stripping and repainting the same 3 since I started, with the one exception of my finished (and now that I look at it having a little more practice, extremely flawed) Baldur the Stonecleaver in Show Off.

• Like 1