Favorite Tools or Accessories?

dispatchdave

Ok, so I'm curious. What are your favorite tools or accessories when working on mini's (painting, cleaning, etc)?

Currently, my favorite item is a microtiter plate (I have a few 96 wells). It's fantastic for setting out small amounts of paint to work with. I also like doing gradients for shadows and highlights using it, setting up a column for each main base-color.

So, how 'bout you? What can you just not do without?

-Dave

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Da Vinci Maestro #2 Kolinsky Sable brush, followed by an Excel knife handle with a #11 blade, and my Masterson wet palette.

If you want something a bit less obvious:

I quite like my bench grinder for cleaning up the bottoms of bases. Reaper figures are generally pretty good and don't need much work, but for other companies (I'm looking at you, Old Glory), it really saves time and effort.

#74 drill bits, which I use for drilling pilot holes for pinning. It allows me to pin even very small pieces like sword blades.

I use a stainless steel burnishing tool to smooth the surfaces of sculpted metal bits like weapons and armor. Works quickly and gives me a very clean surface on which to paint.

• Like 1

• Artists

Interesting question. Excluding items like brushes, palettes and paint that tend to get their own topics...

Diamond files for prepping.

An etcher or similar pointed tip tool to scratch off little clumps of paint or tiny hairs that get into a paint job and can mess up the smooth appearance of an area.

A pokey tool (t-pin works, there are other variations) to unclog stopped up paint dropper bottles.

Clay shaper and a couple of custom sculpting tools for base work and conversions.

• Like 2

My favorites are:

• Painting glasses (yes, cause my eyes started to go about 5 years ago
  • Da Vinci Maestro brushes (#1 most often)
  • Homemade wet palette
  • Carbide scraper from Rio Rondo
  • Mini holders with a base (wooden candlestick up upside down, pill bottle, or nice base) and a sticky thing (putty or magnet)

What I should use more often is my airbrush.

Ron

• Like 1

3" Grinding wheel. I don't know where this came from, or how I got it, or what exactly it attached to, but nothing is better for smoothing out the bottom of bases. Just hold the mini firmly to the flat surface and grind in a circular motion. Even the biggest chunks of flash or metal ooze can't last more than a minute.

• Like 1