Favorite Tools or Accessories?

dispatchdave

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's a lot of tools to like!

I've really got to get on making my own wet pallette. I made a small one a while back, but who knows where it went. As far as grinding wheels, or methods to remove flash and detritus from bases, we have a 3' (yes, feet, not inches) horizontal grinding disc with interchangeable discs (for different grades). It's awesome and fast, but not so much fun (it's a little amusing) when the piece you're grinding goes flying across the studio. What is this "overkill" you speak of?

I have yet to get a lot of carving tools. Sculpting, while I'm terribly interested, is really not my thing... yet. I think I've made one small mushroom and a bedroll with GS....

Keep 'em coming, it's always nice to get ideas for new toys. :)

-Dave

• Like 1

A palette knife. On the macro scale I use them for mixing colors. But minis use so little paint that the amount is kind of like the "rounding error" that sticks to the knife.

However...

(Bearing in mind that I mix my own colors) a palette knife makes a great mixing on the fly palette. Little dots of two or three or even four colors can easily fit on my 1 cm by 5 cm blade, with colors preliminarily blended with a damp brush. I hold the knife and the mini in the same hand, with the knife upright behind the mini. It's easy then to mix and pick up the subtlest blendings of colors without having to take one's focus off of the mini.

• Like 1

(Bearing in mind that I mix my own colors) a palette knife makes a great mixing on the fly palette. Little dots of two or three or even four colors can easily fit on my 1 cm by 5 cm blade, with colors preliminarily blended with a damp brush. I hold the knife and the mini in the same hand, with the knife upright behind the mini. It's easy then to mix and pick up the subtlest blendings of colors without having to take one's focus off of the mini.

I actually use my thumbnail for that. Admittedly not quite as much room, but serves the same purpose. And afterward, while I'm out getting food or running errands people always ask me, "Dude, are you wearing nail polish?", so I get to explain to them about my mini-painting hobby, lol...

For me, one of my favorite tools are actually toothpicks, both plastic and wooden, since I can use them for creating job-specific tools on the fly. (You might even say that creating tools is one of my other hobbies. My house is full of cobbled-together widgets for every purpose you could ever think of.)

On my painting table I have a large mini blister pack filled full of various filed-down straight pins, bent wires and toothpicks I've created over the years for various purposes. For years (back in the days when I was painting minis with Testors enamel model paints) I used to paint the eyes by using a hobby knife to trim down the end of a wooden toothpick into a flat, pointed blade and then making a caligraphy pen nib out of it by splitting it down the middle with the knife and taking the tip (the tube that the pencil leads come out of) of a rather thick mechanical pencil and using it as a punch to put a hole through the middle of it to act as the well... It'd hold just enough paint in the well to get one good dot in the center of the eye. Of course, one might debate the wisdom of spending half an hour making a tool that will only last for three or five sets of eyes before degrading too much to be useable, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

I have to add my favorites in no particular order:

1) wet palette

2) Cash (for fueling my miniature addiction)

3) Magnifiers for my old eyes

and my ace in the hole---

4) A hand held hairdryer (attached to a peddle so I can turn it off and on with my foot)

Did anyone mention a portable Ott light. Love mine... Gotta see the mini to use the other tools....

Yes. I picked up one of these at Michael's Black Friday sale. It's awesome.

The chains I use to keep the real painter in my basement.

So jealous. I need one of those. Any volunteers? I My wife can feed you!

• Like 1