Favorite Tools or Accessories?

dispatchdave

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one's mentioned a music source, yet. I can't paint without my mood music! I'll add the itunes library to the list. Also, I am loving my lowes worklights, my homemade lightbox and my cutting mat. I find plastic containers and Tupperware useful as well.

I lke music, but I often find it getting repettve, no matter how I change Pandora (perhaps my tastes are a bit too singular?). I prefer to listen to books on tape... ok, ok, audio books, since they're no longer on outdated magnetic media... Although, since they're on my hard drive, which is not one of those new-fangled solid state drives..... Books on platter?

But I digress.

I agree that good lighting is important. I have to go play electrician later to fix a light socket that keeps blowing bulbs.

For bit storage, nothing beats the little plastic baby food containers. They are also perfect for travel mixing/rinse bowls. The lids are good for impromptu palettes. You can also wrap a wip in soft material and use it for a human sized mini transport. I've actually fit 5 human sized unpainted figs in one easily.

If you have a little one...hoard them. If friends or family have a baby, ask for them.

• Like 1

Also, I am loving my lowes worklights,

I use clamp-on desk lamps from Staples, with the adjustable spring-loaded arms. I have three of them attached in different places on my painting table so I can adjust my light as needed - they also double as my photography lighting. I have another small clip-on light with the bendable metal arm type of thing for use with my used-to-be-a-coffee-can homemade curing oven.

For bit storage, nothing beats the little plastic baby food containers. They are also perfect for travel mixing/rinse bowls. The lids are good for impromptu palettes. You can also wrap a wip in soft material and use it for a human sized mini transport. I've actually fit 5 human sized unpainted figs in one easily.

If you have a little one...hoard them. If friends or family have a baby, ask for them.

I still have a collection of glass baby food jars, whose size, shape, and really good seal on the lids are perfect for storing pigments ground in water for my homemade paints (long story there, completely unrelated to minis).

Seriously, although I need to check and re-water most of my acrylics jars, these babies have never dried out once in twenty years.

I started using them in art school, when I learned of their incredible utility.

Not having or knowing any babies, I simply ... used them as snack food. College students will eat nearly anything, and these were more healthful than most. The texture was meh, and the hardest thing was getting used to no salt (ham was quite a shock, let me tell you), but to be honest I kind of liked the apricots. The banana and yogurt based things were foul.

Anything used for wet art supplies should be washed and boiled for a good long time first, lids included.

• Like 1

Okay, tutorial: get an old vitamin bottle just big enough for your paint pots to fit in. Get an electric knife, and "safety" one blade by dulling or taping over. Bind pill bottle to single, dulled blade. Electrical tape works beaut. Insert single, dulled blade into knife body and paint bottle into pill bottle. Update will and disability insurance. Activate knife.

Like any power tool, this is not safe. The dulled blade is not safe. If you do not remain alert and paranoid, it will turn on you and mutilate you.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 6