Sign in to follow this  
Pally

Request for the sculptors

For example $20 will get you 30 goblins or kobolds. That is both affordable and a whole lot of goblins/kobolds the equivalent number is at least double in metal, it can be over $120!

This affordability completely changes the ability of a DM to put models on the table of the right type (ie have 5 ogres for the ogre encounter).

It also opens up the possibility of buying 30 goblins and 30 kobolds instead of making do with 10 of these little green guys I got in a Warhammer set + 5 D&D PPM somethings (honestly, I have no clue what they are supposed to be other than lumps of misshapen plastic) + some random legos. Monsters (due to limited use) are the first to fall prey to the "close enough" ruling, but the lower prices get, it starts to look more attractive to use appropriate minis.

• Like 3

...I have to wonder though if that route might be more expensive than approaching a sculptor directly... Guess it depends on the sculptor.

Truth be told though, I should already have any kind of mini I could ever possibly need or want. xP

Average price range for 32-35mm humanoid figure runs between $400-$600 depending upon the sculptor. You'll still need to pay for moldmaking and casting which could easily double or triple the cost.

And you can NEVER have enough minis!! :lol:

Gene

• Like 1

And you can NEVER have enough minis!!

Amen Brother!

(Just received my Christmas Mouslings. My DYOM Mousling. And Ivanetta the Russian Sniper... Who'll obviously be protecting my Mouslings from Buglips dragon from another thread)

• Like 3

$400-$600 depending upon the sculptor. You'll still need to pay for moldmaking and casting which could easily double or triple the cost.

Actually those costs don't sound all that bad. With a few thousand dollars you could start your own miniatures company. It would only have 2 to 4 minis starting out, but still.... x]

It would be especially easy to profit if you exploit nekkidity. xD

And you can NEVER have enough minis!!

And I have over 30 shoebox sized containers full of minis, and still want more, so apparently this is true. xP

And yes I do mean full, not on card or anything. They are wrapped in tissue paper but each box is like lifting a cinderblock.

Edited by Pally
  • Like 2

Sounds like you can get your workout in just shifting boxes around to look for a figure to paint!

• Like 1

Well, at this time, the exact opposite of our results with DHL are occurring - 8 of the top 10 Bones are Monsters. We're not sure how much of that is because monsters outnumber Characters 6:1, and how much is because the character choices currently available were never the 5 strongest variants we possessed.

The #1 Bone is the Werewolf, which breaks a lot of our data because werewolves have never been in the top 10 charts before, even among "top 10 monsters".

Hmmm, I know that Kings of War has Werewolves as a choice for their Undead army list. There is rather a nice series of YouTube video of converting the poses of the Bones werewolf to use in that game.

http://youtu.be/OpvI2OgJSe8

http://youtu.be/0fpsTJ7D6aw

There are at least a few more as he converts then paints a second and third werewolf.

These videos were among the top results when using Google to look up Bones Review when Bones first came out - these may be one of the reasons for the skewed results. He was very happy with those models (His term was 'awesome'.)

Also, one of the adventures in the Carrion Crown Adventure Path has a lot of were critters. This likely helped sales as well.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump

Sounds like you can get your workout in just shifting boxes around to look for a figure to paint!

Indeed. xD I need to search for my box with Latissula in it. Been lazy about it though..

I usually put a card or two down the sides so I can clearly see one or more of the things that are in the box. This should cut down on my searching a lot.

I probably destroyed the value of many of my minis by deboxing them (like the slave auction, a Sophie collection, and many, MANY large dragons) but they take up a LOT less space this way.

Indeed. xD I need to search for my box with Latissula in it. Been lazy about it though..

I usually put a card or two down the sides so I can clearly see one or more of the things that are in the box. This should cut down on my searching a lot.

I probably destroyed the value of many of my minis by deboxing them (like the slave auction, a Sophie collection, and many, MANY large dragons) but they take up a LOT less space this way.

If your intent was to resell rare miniatures for a profit then yes you probably have destroyed that re-sale value to a certain extent. However, if you intent is to paint them and this storage works for you then that's what is important.

• Like 1

I'm pretty shocked to learn of this "Golden Rule of Sculpting." The last time the Reaper Fanboy Brigade jumped down someone's throat, it was because that person expected the sculpt to look like the concept art -- which, as everyone should already know, is just craaaaazy.

Right? What happened to that?

I'm pretty shocked to learn of this "Golden Rule of Sculpting." The last time the Reaper Fanboy Brigade jumped down someone's throat, it was because that person expected the sculpt to look like the concept art -- which, as everyone should already know, is just craaaaazy.

You appear to be asking why two different groups of people think differently, not sure you're going to get a satisfactory answer to that. :;):

There also seems to an assumption that its the concept artist who is the customer whose idea's the sculptor must follow. That's not true, both work for the manufacturer and its those demands that try to be fulfilled. The concept artist gives the manufacturers requests a 2D form for the sculptor to work from, however what the artist drew may not be exactly what the manufacturer wanted, and they may have requested changes to the final sculpt for a variety of reasons that the end customers, us, are not always privy to.

Add to that differences between one persons drawing style and another persons sculpting style as well as casting requirements and limitations... Well, I'm more surprised when the final sculpt does match the concept art.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2

entirely not sure what you're saying. Whose throat is being jumped and what golden rule is there, exactly?

I think he's referring to the golden rule that Gene mentioned in an earlier post of the thread. (Post #39)

The rest I'm not sure of.

Edited by Darsc Zacal

I think he's referring to the golden rule that Gene mentioned in an earlier post of the thread. (Post #39)

The rest I'm not sure of.

Cthulhu. At least at a guess.

The Auld Grump

Can I join the Reaper Fanboy Brigade? Will I get a badge?

Ishil

(Is this a transparent attempt to push my post count up?)

Edited by Ishil