Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

When my KS minis arrive...

Buy her a big box of chocolates, wait until she eats them all, then point out you STILL have all of your minis so who's the smart one here. Make sure you specify that you get all minis and related items in the divorce decree. Current (and any future) problem (s) solved! Also do not tell her this suggestion was submitted by a female or they'll take away my woman card for treason.

I'd probably get my woman card taken away for suggesting that (everyone's) wives be more loving and accepting of their husbands' hobbies. After all, if you can't accept the weird things about your man, why the hell did you marry him in the first place!?

My man loves all sorts of toys, it just makes it easier to buy him presents. Your wives should be happy that you're so easy to shop for, I know my husband enjoys how easy it is to shop for me :rolleyes:

My wife has the opposite problem. She's never sure which set of figures I'm currently obsessed with.

Eh, when my box arrives, I'll probably open it, take everything out and sort it into piles of Really Cool Stuff I'll Swear I'm Gonna Paint Immediately But Never Get Around To Painting, Moderately Cool Stuff I'll Plan To Paint SoonTM But Will Never Get Around To Painting, Sort of Neat Stuff I'll Probably Paint Someday... Yeah Right..., Things I'm Never Gonna Paint And I Know It, and Things That Just Happened To Be Included That Don't Interest Me. And then I'll put it all back in the box because that's the only place I have room for it and stack it on top of all the other boxes of minis...

I used to say that my hobby was painting minis.

Now I just tell people I collect unpainted ones, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

Eh, when my box arrives, I'll probably open it, take everything out and sort it into piles of Really Cool Stuff I'll Swear I'm Gonna Paint Immediately But Never Get Around To Painting, Moderately Cool Stuff I'll Plan To Paint SoonTM But Will Never Get Around To Painting, Sort of Neat Stuff I'll Probably Paint Someday... Yeah Right..., Things I'm Never Gonna Paint And I Know It, and Things That Just Happened To Be Included That Don't Interest Me. And then I'll put it all back in the box because that's the only place I have room for it and stack it on top of all the other boxes of minis...

That's odd... I don't remember posting this, but its definitely me.

• Like 4

my minis will be sorted as such.

1. Chaos cuultists

2. undead

3. Pathfinder and DnD

4. undead

5. cut off bases to put on square bases for undead

6. did i mention undead dragon named kaladrax is going to be painted

7. more chaos cultists/militia/chaos imperial guard

8. finally whats left undead(undead orcs, dwarfs, gnomes, goblins and elves oh boy)

QFT

I just collect badly painted minis.

I think it's a symptom of chronic figmentia, really. I was trying to think of a mini to paint quick before I get my Kit 5 replacement mini (for a miscast) that's next on the bench. I went through the Sep-Nov release boxes from Reaper...

"Oh, he's cool. But I want to paint him like my Firebrand. Need to come up with a color scheme."

"Pirates! They go in the pirate pile to be painted with my other pirates."

"Wow, this mini has some cool effects. Into the 'need to learn to paint better pile' (aka the big pile)"

"Bathalians! Into the 'big pile'."

I did pull out the evil wizard, thinking of a cool pallid skin tone but then got hung up on the robes, because it probably needs some freehand.

Then I ended up with the Bones bathalian I put into a 12 Days order (that Citrine just painted). And I consider maybe a greyscale paint job. Or perhaps painted like an octopus. But then which kind? And how to make the robes go with the color of the octopus? And how to make the two robes go with each other and the skin tone. It circles on and on.

My problem isn't actually too many minis (ok, that, too); I think too darn much before I even take the mini out of the blister. I think once I work through the next couple projects I'm going to have to put things up to community vote :)

• Like 3

CashWiley - I thought you said "chromatic figmentia" at first, rather than "chronic" and I sort of laughed to myself. And then you went on to explain something that I think probably does fit well under "chromatic figmentia".

I will probably get very excited, take them all out, put them all back,,, take them all out again, photo them, post them on facbook, put them all back, but the box on the huge pile and go back to pretending I actually get anything finished occassionally glancing at the box in shame.

Thankfully this thread confirms I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

Nocturne: same, only with much much more of the omitted "scattered all over the house because the kids think they're cool too and the only person in the house without ADD is my wife" step in the ninety-six step painting method. Step eighty four, for example, is "try to remember and recreate a technique but you can't because that was two years ago and you'd gotten almost OK then, but now you suck again".

In fact my mini painting motto is The Waterboy's "Oh no! We suck again!"

• Like 2

I've had a notebook for the last few years to keep track of all the different paint mixes I use so I can recall them later, especially if leaving a project in the middle..... I am yet to remember to actually write anything in it.

• Like 3

I've had a notebook for the last few years to keep track of all the different paint mixes I use so I can recall them later, especially if leaving a project in the middle..... I am yet to remember to actually write anything in it.

I really need to do this for myself. I have one model out of a squad of 6 that required a custom mixed undercoat.... that dried up on me. For some reason I was able to finish all but the medic and he's been laying, in pieces, in my desk for a year now.

I've also had to reteach myself how to do 'power weapon effects' at least five times. The latest idderation came out really nice.

Edited by Girot